Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 237/224.5/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Ebv

Hi just wanted to say hi and to ask for some support...i thought i had a thyroid problem but after numerous tests have found out its re-activated ebv epstein barr virus...
ive had this in the past about once a year but never this bad...my blood work was off the charts...on a score of 0-99 one test was 2354!!! i cant believe i have dragged myself to work every day and then run my son to ball practice and games and did everything else etc.....
feel like death warmed over now....
my glands and lymph nodes are so swollen in my neck they are squeezing my voice box and thryroid...im a mess....
i keep losing my voice and sound hoarse etc....my doc is keeping me on synthroid for awhile to give my thyroid a rest and they put me on valtrex...i dont have herpes but apparently EBV is a herpes virus...(i never realized this)anyway doc says it will take about two more months to feel better...cant believe this...its hard to not be depressed in the face of all this...i was over in the thyroid board but decided to move up here...ive been discouraged because i have only lost 13 pound on modified atkins diet...where in the past i lost weight like crazy...soooooooo like i said i need some support and some happy words....
thanks
cj
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 21:38

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

Sorry CJ. I don't really hit this section of the forum that often because there have not been many new posts here. In other words, the posts have been few and far between. Myself, the dr said Fibro, but I find LCing helps it a great deal.

From what I've heard about EBV, though, rest is an absolute requirement. No ifs, ands or buts. How is your support system at home? Will your employer at least let you do part time during recovery or do they supply short term disability? Kids at home, of course, don't allow for much rest. Hopefully the Grams live close. Let me know if I can help with anything. I may live in Indy, but who knows...between the two of us we should be able to get creative. Just drop a note in my journal. I try to get there most days of the week.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 22:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261/209/170 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:more/much/little
Progress: 57%

Hi Cj...I don't know a whole lot about thyroid disease or the EBV but I can certainly understand chronic pain and illness. It's a very depressing life. My dh has been in chronic pain for 13 years + and it's definitely changed him and he's no longer the one I married. Daily activities are a mountain to him at times. It's hard on him and on all of us that live with him. So I'm sure this next few months are not going to be easy on you or your loved ones either. It's nice though that you can see a end to it and so have something to look forward to.

In regards to the slow weight loss...I find that as we get older (based on myself) weight loss does slow down and with this woe the more you go off and back on it the body seems to take longer to let go of the weight. Seems to be things we learn with age. How modified is your Atkins plan as I'm sure that would play a part in the weight loss speed too? Slow weight loss is still better than weight gain though so don't let it discourage you. We all go through this at times. Sometimes self inflicted and sometimes not. I wish you well and keep us informed. It's only by chance that I came across this post as I usually just check the most recent posts as there are so many that less frequent posts get lost in the history. Being that I'm very eating focused at this point I don't often venture down into this area. Good luck
Leah
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 21:21
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Well I certainly can relate to the slow weight loss and chronic pain and fatigue. Although I've been diagnosed with DFIDS and Fibro I don't have an elevated level of ebv. From what I've read the symptoms are like CFIDS. I feel for you! Hang in there. Do it one day at a time. You can do it, it may take us longer than it did before to lose weight, but the important thing is that we're doing this WOE for our health and not just weight loss. I keep reminding myself of that when I feel really discouraged with the weight loss results...or lack thereof. It took me months to lose 13 pounds, and that was on nearly Induction (no nuts, cheese, sf, etc). You might want to check out some of the other LC plans to see if those will work faster for you. Best wishes!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 21:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have fibromyalgia, not EBV, but I can certainly relate to fatigue and pain and the frustrations of not being able to live a "normal life" during flare ups.

I hope you feel better soon. ((((hugs)))
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 21:25
Back 2 Good

Plan: This n' that
Stats: 250/229.8/199 Female inches
BF:49.89/19.23/20.44
Progress: 40%

Hey CJ!

I'm another person who suffers from EBV re-activation once or twice a year. Try to get as much rest as possible (yeah, easier said than done ). I've noticed that once I start to feel better that my weight loss has picked up.

Hope you're feeling better soon!