Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 15:20

Plan: Low Carb/Anti-Candida
Stats: 203.5/161.0/135 Female 5ft3"
BF:??
Progress: 62%
Default In PAIN after infection~

Hello~
I was just wondering if anyone here with fibro. has had REALLY bad flares after an infection(mine was a tooth/gum)? I have had PAINFUL knots in the muscles in my shoulders and neck, and a HORRID headache! I tried heat, and some cold pks., and had dd rub some on my neck and shoulders too. I also took some magnesium and aleve. It was/is still hurting...

I did not sleep hardly at all(which makes matters worse), and could not find a comfortable position to even sleep in.
Anyone else had a bad flare like this from another infection in your body? What did you do that helped?

Thanks for any info.!
~Heather
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-07, 16:18

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 153/148/125 Female 5'2"
BF:38% / 38% / 28%
Progress: 18%
Default Pain After High Fever

On Jan 18th, I was running a fever of over 102.4 F due to the flu. Fever broke 19th, & 20th was EXTREME pain.

I've had FMS since 1974, and thought myself well acquainted with pain, but the only time I've felt that level of pain was the evening after 2" of bone was removed, when percocet was prescribed (despite the fact that I told the doctor that it no longer gave me any pain relief). I tried singing, counting backwards by 3s, etc... anything to keep from actually screaming out loud. (If you haven't tried it, singing doesn't work in that case, because once your voice is allowed to make a sound it turns into a sob or a scream.)

My FMS pain on the 20th was that extreme (level 9). Whereas my normal pain is usually somewhere near 3, with constant ache and with what I call "arrow" pains every few minutes, this was "gasp, double-over, and scream" pain twice every 60 seconds ! Obviously, I couldn't sleep because I was busy moaning while trying to keep from actually screaming. The pain gave me a terrible headache.

I'm sure it has triggered a flare. Now (24th) my pain level is back down to near 3 as long as I don't move my right arm, and it's not allowed to hang loose in the socket (ie laying down without bracing it, or walking without hugging it against my body to break the weight impact). I can't sleep in the bed with my husband, because any movement jostles the arm, wakes me in pain, then keeps me awake. I've been sleeping on the couch. In the morning, my husband gently takes my arm and moves it around in the socket, without me using my muscles to produce the movement (keep muscles completely relaxed). He helps me get my bra and turtleneck on/off. Today I paid a friend (she badly needed some funds) when she came over, washed my dishes and folded clothes for me.

Currently I take the actions in previous paragraph, plus handmade hot packs made from dry rice in the microwave.