Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 18:56
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%
Unhappy I HATE ordering in Resturants!

OK..sorry, need to blow a little steam....

I use to be a waitress..when someone ordered something unusual....I did my best to get it right the first time so they felt comfortable. It was NOT my business as to "why"...I just brought them what they ordered. Period!

This is my second go-round with
atkins. I was on it over 2 years ago and had great success. I actually got up to 160 pounds (from 122) and started low carbing on my own, with no support. The one thing I hate....is ordering in resturants, most of all if other people are present besides my family.

"no rice please, just extra salad will be fine"

THEM> "but, it comes with rice, what do you mean?"

"I don't care for rice or potato...please, just extra salad"

THEM>"Well, I'm not sure we can do that...and extra salad may cost you more"

etc....etc...etc....

I eat out for most dinner meetings. It means ordering my meal infront of other people. I used to LOVE eating in resturants because I would order "stuff" I usually wouldn't eat. I guess I will have to stick to having ceasar salad for suppers....or maybe a taco salad, with no tacos(hopefully that won't be too confussing)

I have this problem..if it's on my plate, I'm very likely to have a few spoonfuls...even when I'm telling myself.."don't you dare put that in your mouth"...I still put it in my mouth....lol. I just can't have it on my plate.

Thanks for the chance to "blow off my steam".....I think I know the answer...but it's just the fact of embarrassment is all.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 15:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi

I used to be a waitress too. And I agree with you. If someone ordered something different, you just keep your mouth shut, and get it. It almost seems like some of the wait people don't care if I tip them or not! Anyway, I still like going out to eat. I'm pretty boring though, I always just ask for steak and salad Hold the potatoe, and dressing on the side. So far no problem. But I too will eat it if it's on my plate.

Anyway, you go ahead and b--ch, that's what we're here for!

good luck

Cimart
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 16:01

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Girls!!

I am a waitress... and I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble eating out!!

We get special diet requests all the time--- lo salt, food allergies, you name it!!

And we get ALOT of Lo carbers--- recognized immediately by the double meat, no potatoes, no toast!! (I work breakfasts)
I usually ask if they are on Atkins and then we have a whole discussion going!!

But I don't understand a waitress trying to push something on you just because it goes with the meal!!
As far as substituting... I tell them "This is what I want... just charge me the difference" and find nothing is ever added on.

Don't give up!! There are still good waitresses out there!!
BE FIRM!!
Ellie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 08:48

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I have yet to experience a waitstaff person unwilling to change the menu item. I simply tell them no potato, steamed veggies instead or salad please, or hold the rice.

I would probably ask to see the manager if someone argued with me over what I ordered *laughs*.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 09:10
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

This post wasn't meant to "put down waitresses". MY goodness, my daughter is one..I was one and may be again.

It's not the waitresses at all...I think it's society, and what society is use to. Cereal for breakfast, soup and sandwich for lunch, meat and potatoes for supper. Huge honking sandwich before bed. LOL

I was just blown off steam becasue I was embarrassed.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 09:15
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 235/208/190
BF:
Progress: 60%

I agree. They just HAVE to tell you what you should have. I have eev had a waitress say "You're not on that Atkins diet are you? It's bad for you."

But I'll tell you what works for me. I tell them I am a diabetic and I need a special meal. I find if they think you have a health prblem and are not just a picky weirdo, they are happy to help.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 17:12

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Cindy.....

As I said... I am a waitress and I don't see this as waitress bashing!! The truth of the matter is there are good waitresses and bad waitresses--- just like in everything. Unfortunately you are running into the bad ones lately!!

My advice is to BE FIRM and don't let them tell you what you are going to eat!! You are paying for the meal!! Order it how you want it!!

Hope your next reataurant experience is a much happier one!!

Ellie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 133/126/115
BF:
Progress: 39%
Cool Way of Life

We are so busy and both work a heavy schedule, we tend to eat out at least 3-4 times a week. We tend to go to the same places, all picked because we get fairly consistent good service and food. I used to feel uncomfortable asking for changes, but not anymore.

If you have a good server, it should not be an issue. If you have a poor server - they should feel bad, not you

But I do agree - my food choices can seem boring and monotonous sometimes. But that's just eh carb cravings in disguise trying to tell you to eat like everyone else and keep the nation's weight gain going strong

The nicest thing I have noticed in the last year, more and more people are starting to order like me