Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 235/208/190
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default I am in the ultimate stall - help

I am a 53 yo old male who has been on Atkins for 3 years. I am very sensitive to carbs, so I have stayed at the industion level the whole time/ I got as low as 200 lb (my goal is 190) butthem I started putting on weight, I am now about 217. I can pee purple. I have added walking 1 mile per day on a treadmill. I have cut my calories a bit by taking 4 slices of bacon out of my breakfast.

I now eat 2 eggs for breakfast, meat for lunch like 10 oz of pork or beef or chicken. 12 oz of beef and a salad for dinner. I drink a ton of water. I have decaf green tea and a couple of cups of decaf coffee. I take chromium, vitamin c and e and fish and flax oil.

I think I am doing everything right but I have been stiuck at 217 for 3 months. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Tony
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 10:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tony!

I think it could be one of two things. This is your daily calorie breakdown:

Total Calories: 2238
Fat: 146 gr 1312 cals 60%
Carbs: 6 gr 15 cals 1%
Fiber: 2 gr 0 cal 0%
Protein: 212 gr 850 cals 39%

I chose for the pork chop and beef boneless pieces, fried, with fat eaten. I don't know if that's right, so your calories could be lower.

Your basic daily calories should be at least 10 - 12 your body weight. This is the requirement for just getting out of bed and breathing. If you're at all active, you need more calories. Your body may think it's starving, and holding on to what it's got left.

In the Introduction forum under Newbies questions there is a thread called Hot Links! In the thread are two links to discussions on fat that should give you the ins-and-outs. While you're there, check out the other links too!

Try upping your carbs to at least 30 a day in the form of low-carb vegetables. Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cucumbers, etc.

Both of these things have been shown to work. Try one of them at a time for at least two weeks and let us know how it works out.

Someone else may have more suggestions for you too!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 12:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Tony,

Did you cut down in your calories to speed things up? That might be the problem. Once you get close to your goal weight, things slow down, and cutting calories doesn't help, but may harm your metabolism. I'd say go back to what was working before, and expect a slower rate of loss, because the last few pounds are the slowest for most people. Add some weight training instead of eating less to spee things up if you want.

Wa'il