Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-00, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Cool

Wonderful collection of LowCarb and SugarFree Protein Shake (my idea of the *IDEAL* quick breakfast) ideas from Di Bauer, who happily shares them with anyone. Di is the editor at CarbSmart's e-zine and has been running the Celebrate LowCarb recipe website for quite a long time. Don't know where she gets the energy!! <grin>
======

Subject: Recipe: Low Carb Protein Shakes

The real trick to keeping the protein shakes low carb is to use heavy cream and water instead of milk. Here's my basic recipe:

1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup cold water
2 scoops of protein powder (any flavor)
1-2 teaspoons psyllium husks (optional - adding fiber but not carbs here)
12-15 ice cubes
Whirl the whole thing up in the blender. (Pulse works best for crunching up the ice cubes.) The end result will have a consistency like a Wendy's Frosty. Omit the ice cubes, and you can just drink it. ~6.2g carb per large serving/shake.

I doctor my shakes up with additions as follows:
In a chocolate shake I add:
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 packet artificial sweetener +
a) 1 teaspoon instant coffee
b) 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
c) 2 tablespoon DaVinci sugar free creme de menthe syrup
d) 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
e) 1-2 teaspoons peanut butter
In a strawberry shake I add:
a) 2-3 tablespoons DaVinci sugar free raspberry syrup
b) frozen strawberries in place of some of the ice cubes
In a vanilla shake I add:
a) 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
b) 1-2 teaspoons peanut butter
c) 2 or more tablespoons DaVinci sugar free creme de menthe extract
d) some frozen blueberries in place of some of the ice cubes + a sprinkling of cinnamon or ginger
e) 1 to 2 tablespoons DaVinci sugar free cinnamon syrup
f) 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 packet artificial sweetener, + 1 teaspoon root beer extract
g) 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
h) 1 teaspoon instant coffee, a packet of artificial sweetener & a little cinnamon
i) 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, a packet of artificial sweetener, and a little cinnamon or ginger
In a vanilla praline shake I add:
a) 1 to 2 tablespoon DaVinci sugar free caramel syrup, a sprinkling of Brown Sugar Twin, and some finely chopped pecans
b) 1 to 2 tablespoons DaVinci sugar free pancake (maple) syrup

You are only limited by your taste buds and your imagination!

Di
==================
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 21:37

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%
Default plain whey powder

does anyone know what the breakdown for plain whey powder is? I bought some bulk whey powder at the healthfood store, it is plain white, no other additives and has no information on the package other than this:

For a prepackage bulk bag that is 500 grams:
protein 35%
fat 1%

I looked it up on fitday and it seems WAY too high.

fitday says for 1 tablespoon of plain sweetened whey powder is 5.58g of carbs, that doesnt seem right.

anyone know?

thanks in advance!
j
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 11:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi J,

Alas .. the carb count for plain whey powder is high, so that fitday count would be correct.

Whey is the liquid that separates out from milk solids during the cheese-making process. Whey also separates out from the fat during butter-making. This liquid contains a small amount of protein, traces of fat and most of the lactose sugar that's found in liquid milk and cream.

Isolated whey protein powders are made from whey that's been filtered and processed to remove water, lactose and any impurities. It usually has a protein content of 90% or more. That's why it's so much more expensive than plain whey powder.

Plain powdered whey is often used in baking, especially bread. Yeasts love the lactose and it gives a lighter product than skim milk powder. So .. if you have a friend who does a lot of baking, they'll probably find a good use for it

You need to look for a product that says specifically that it's isolated protein, which will have only small amount of carbohydrate and fat in it, and at least 90% protein content.

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 13:31

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

hi doreen!
well, yes I have since realized that I bought the wrong stuff, that whey protein isolate is the one to get, not concentrate, and, that is next to impossible to find whey isolate (unless already prepacked as a drink). Oh well, it didnt cost that much and I have been experiementing with soy protein for the protein bars instead. Must say, using the keto shake stuff for protein bars works the best, but seems pretty expensive to use that way.

at any rate, its all trial and error!

thanks for your reply, hope your journey is still going well!

cheers,
d