Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 322.5/262/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Please name a few vegetables for my low carb plan? Been doing low carb since March 24th and have lost 57 pounds. I need to add vegetables! Was eating fresh tomatoes until I recently (duh!) realized all the carbs in them. Love me a bunch of tomatoes...sigh.
Thanks.

I MEANT TO SAY CARBS! LOL!
TS

Last edited by TeddySue : Thu, Oct-18-12 at 08:23.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 11:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddySue
Please name a few vegetables for my low carb plan? Been doing low carb since March 24th and have lost 57 pounds. I need to add vegetables! Was eating fresh tomatoes until I recently (duh!) realized all the calories in them. Love me a bunch of tomatoes...sigh.
Thanks.
TS
Green veg. Broccoli, sprouts, cabbage, spinach, cauliflour......

Jo xxx
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 20:12

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, peppers, lettuces, the dark leafies like kale, turnip greens, mustard greens. Cucumbers though technically not a veg I guess.

There are lots of frozen veggies bagged up as combos that would also work, like broc-cauli-carrots, Italian blends, multi-colored peppers, etc. I often eat a bag of microwaved frozen veggies as a meal with just a teaspoon of oil, a few tablespoons of tomato sauce, and lowfat cheese.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-12, 00:45

Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by femur
Mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, peppers, lettuces, the dark leafies like kale, turnip greens, mustard greens. Cucumbers though technically not a veg I guess.

There are lots of frozen veggies bagged up as combos that would also work, like broc-cauli-carrots, Italian blends, multi-colored peppers, etc. I often eat a bag of microwaved frozen veggies as a meal with just a teaspoon of oil, a few tablespoons of tomato sauce, and lowfat cheese.
Not sure about low fat cheese - tampered with, whoknowswhat added..... Nah, a nice knob of full fat philli is much better and you get the fat you need!!!

Jo xxx
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-12, 03:43

Plan: personalized
Stats: 187/163/154 Male 174
BF:
Progress: 73%

I agree with ojoj. Full fat cheese is much better than low fat cheese. First, because fat from milk is a very good fat plenty of fat-soluble vitamins and short-chain fatty acids, and second because low-fat cheese makers use to add milk protein, which are high glucemic.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-12, 08:27
Registered Member

BF:

WOW! I ask one question and get quick and correct answers just like that! Thank you all for this help.
I had meant to say the CARBS in tomatoes instead of calories. LOL! Silly ole woman...
TS
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-12, 18:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

It's fall where I live, and to herald in the season, I made oxtail soup (with homemade stock, naturally). I put in these root vegetables:
  • turnips (2)
  • parsnip (1)
  • celery root/celeriac (1/2 of the root)
  • carrots (2)
Net carbs/serving: about 11g

For you, this might have to wait until you get closer to maintenance, but I wanted to let you see how many types of veggies are available to you at a low carb cost.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 06:31
Registered Member

BF:

I'm an diabetic but with LOW carb eating I am doing very well. I've now lost 62 pounds and have 90 to go... or whatever. I'm having green beans in a bit of coconut oil, and cauliflower later today as veggies. I eat cream cheese with celery for a satisfying snack and a good steak for supper. Got to eat a tomato yesterday without hurting anything.
It's a pleasure to come here and see the suggestions. Thanks.
TS
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 23:03

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucnula
I agree with ojoj. Full fat cheese is much better than low fat cheese. First, because fat from milk is a very good fat plenty of fat-soluble vitamins and short-chain fatty acids, and second because low-fat cheese makers use to add milk protein, which are high glucemic.

Thanks but for my plan full fat cheese has too many calories and saturated fat. I do CRON so it's more about restricting calories and saturated fat. I eat cheese for the calcium hit and don't want the fat.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 02:35

Plan: personalized
Stats: 187/163/154 Male 174
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by femur
Thanks but for my plan full fat cheese has too many calories and saturated fat. I do CRON so it's more about restricting calories and saturated fat. I eat cheese for the calcium hit and don't want the fat.

Ok, Iīm sorry. Fresh cheese is a very good source of calcium, but there is a better one, althoug I donīt know if you can eat. I'm referring to bones of canned fish like sardines.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-12, 17:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thank you for bringing this information to the fore. I usually live over at atkins but do try to branch out to the other books I have read and PP is one I tried.

LaZig hit on an importan point; we are all individuals and need to find what carbs work for our own unique body. In general though, some are far better choices. Lots of green leavy vegies to choose from in the market these days. And I eat berries, especially fresh as I can meter out just 4-5 at a time to add variety. Find an Atkins book for an extremely long list of very good vegie choices. About 30 listed. I don't miss the high carb vegies anymore. I try to eat one more salad instead.

Find a used copy of Dr Atkins book; you will find it helpful.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-12, 04:53

Stats: 230/214/165 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

all carbs are not created equal

good info posted on the board about insulin spikes etc.

for me when I hit maintenance it will come down to carb limit per day. I will be one of those in the 'never over 40 carb per day range'. heavy carbs nail me to the wall.

So I have to eat most good food I can and stay low carb. If later I decide on introducing store bread back, then 24 carbs per slice---well 1 sandwich is all I can eat for the day. DONE. no more food.

So I won't be introducing back higher carb foods because it will severely limit my food amt. for the day. I wanna eat, not starve

I would choose a real food over a frankenfood anyday. I would eat tomatoes and 'occasionally' a potatoe vs. fake low carb products, pasta and other junk.

stay to fresh foods and you should be ok but I know I won't be introducing taters back into my meal plan ever. They are addicting to me. not good for me one bit.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/179/125 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 25%

When I was previously on the low-carb routine, I stayed off all starches when I was in the first phase (2-3 weeks), then in maintenance I used to have one night I could eat starch. I'd go to Vino's with my son and grandkids, have wine and pizza, and not feel guilty or mess up my diet.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 16:14

Plan: Old diet divas plan
Stats: 272/226/180 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Look at your food labels... many also spell out what carb % are sugar based vs fiber/other. Try to always consume products that have less than 1g sugar based carbs... even better if there are zero sugars involved. As an example: the carb load may read as having 3g carbs per serving... just make sure they are not sugar based carbs.