Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 04:08
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Talking My 1st Atkins Anniversary in Maintenance ~ 151 lbs GONE!

Side Note 1: Before and after pictures follow...

Today is my ONE year anniversary in maintaining my goal weight plus more. I reached my goal weight of 130 lbs on 10 March 2014. I lost a total of 16 more pounds by 16 November, 4 months ago.

What a brilliant gift each morning to step on the scales and still see 113-115 lbs registered. I know I am truly blessed to have been able to finally figure all this out for myself and for my good physical/mental health, my happiness and self-esteem!

It’s taken me literally decades to figure out but I’ve finally arrived to the truth by acknowledging my food-related issues and taking actions that will help me deal with each and every one of them. And like they say “the truth will set you free!” And I am now free of “Fat Jo” as long as I stay ever faithful to my LC WOE journey and vigilant about what can set HER off! Okay I’m a very very slow learner!!

I would have never thought that this would be possible. Well actually, I never EVER did maintenance before so who knew what I could accomplish if I set my eye on the prize of maintaining my weight loss.

I am so proud of myself for finally figuring out that weight loss was totally NOT the ultimate goal but in reality the most important part was to keep the weight off forever! I never gave maintenance a second thought.

I assumed that once I lost the weight... nothing... I thought nothing of it... stupid I know that now! They say FAIL to PLAN and you PLAN to FAIL!

That would be how maintenance did so NOT happen in those successful weight loss attempts all those times. Oh yeah, I’d lose the weight...but not one thought about now what? How do I keep it off? I thought I was a carb eater like everyone else. I wasted so much of my adult life yo-yoing from losing 100s of pounds to gaining them all back plus more and then repeat, rinse and recycle!

Over the course of my adult life I know I have lost at least 400 lbs (I still have the data to prove it). That doesn’t include all those times I’d lose weight then reward my GOOD eating behavior with those horribly addictive, insidiously toxic, poisonous killer carb-age foods only to recycle the same pounds on and off over and over again. How insane is that? And how many pounds was that? Holy Hannah, I can’t even think about how many that was... gees! What a complete idiot I was back then!

Yes that was INSANITY at its finest because I would repeat the same action over and over again and expect a different result! To finally have the insight and acknowledge that weight loss was not the final destination has been HUGE. I thank whatever forces were at work that made me finally realize the truth behind my life-long journey of struggling to lose the weight again and again and again!

To never be “Fat Jo” physically again is such a relief and I know exactly HOW to keep that stupid fat self-destructive bitch from ruining my life once more! I must continue day in and day out to make proper food CHOICES and to live my motto “SEAL” each and every day without fail:

Stay Committed 100%
Eat Properly & Exercise Daily
Accept the things I cannot control & change the things I can.
L ive my life to be Successful at following this LC WOE!

Because let’s face it she really does ruin my life. “Fat Jo” is a self-destructive carb-addicted fat bitch who destroys my good mental/physical health, self-love and self-esteem.

I said to physically never be “Fat Jo” again is liberating but I know she is always right there under the surface of my consciousness lurking, willing and ready to be unleashed and cause chaos in my life if I ever give her the slightest toe hold.

She is strong especially once she gets into my head about all that carb-age crap! But I am now mentally stronger than she is when she is contained and I know HOW to keep her contained and stop her from ever doing me harm again!! It’s far easier to keep her caged because honestly, I don’t think I have the emotional fortitude to fight the battle of the carbs with her again.

I understand that I will have to continue to battle her each and every day, but at least it isn’t a battle of “trying” to lose weight. It’s only keeping it off forever. How does one wrap ones head about doing something forever? I have an easy solution because I can’t comprehend forever, it’s so abstract and intangible to me. I seriously only think about today, yesterday is gone and there’s not a blessed thing I can do about it and tomorrow will take care of itself.

I only have to stay focused and in control of my eating for today. I have to eat on plan 100% today and I’ll worry about tomorrow when it becomes today!

I am the type of person that is totally overwhelmed by “big picture” concepts. I am a detailed oriented person. I like little pieces, I can manage little pieces very well. So that’s how I am going to have to do this... one little piece (day) at a time. I can remain successful for today! And every successful day becomes a successful week etc. I always remember that success builds on success!

Year one of maintenance under my belt, today is the first day to year two!

Here is my before picture taken May 2013:

My After picture taken 21 December 2014. With my A’ 72 Hard Core Warrior t-shirt designed by PauletteB1!

Hi! My name is Jo and I’m a recovering morbidly obese carb addict!

Keep Fighting the Good Fight ~ It is soooo WORTH it!!!!

My life and soul changing journey continues forever...

Side Note 2: Some parts of the post above are musing on my first anniversary of maintenance that I posted last week in my journal.

I figured they really did best communicate my thoughts, feelings and attitude concerning this important milestone on my journey so why re-write? I did however add more!

Last edited by Just Jo : Tue, Mar-10-15 at 16:54. Reason: Cause I can! LOL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 05:02

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

So smart to start a new thread. to put down some thoughts on maintenance and keep your plan on the straight and narrow!!!!

1 year on maintenance is a STINKING HUGE DEAL actually. Impressive!!!

now--not to freak ya out---time to work on year 2
I'll be there cheering you on!!!!

Last edited by Whirrlly : Tue, Mar-10-15 at 06:40.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 06:35

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Happy One Year...

Your success keeps me motivated

You've given yourself the BEST gift ever!

Take each day as it comes is the perfect attitude ....

happy dance for you Jo!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 08:00

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

HAPPY 1 YR MAINTENANCE GOAL!!!!!!! You have not only maintained your goal, but surpassed it and continued to maintain those additional losses! I am proud of you and appreciate any and all advice you can offer to us. You are truly an inspiration!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 08:16

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 330/229.5/149 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Happy Anniversary!!!!!

You are so rocking this maintenance!!!!!

Can't wait to join you!

KIMBER
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 09:32

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Congrats!!! So inspiring, Jo!
And "they" keep saying low-carb diets aren't sustainable... dummies.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 12:27

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

What a fabulous thing you have given yourself, Jo! A whole year of maintenance, 16 lbs below goal, no less.

Keep talking to us Jo, and one of these days we'll join you!

#8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 16:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245.8/000.0/160 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 286%

Congratulations Jo!

What a truly awesome achievement! There is so much wisdom and truth in your post....it encourages me to keep on until I reach goal and stay there for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the inspiring post.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 16:52
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Heartfelt Thank Yous!!!!

Thanks so much all of you (Whirrlly, De, Paulette, Kimber, jessdamess, gonwtwindo and beckah54) for helping me to celebrate my first year in maintenance! Your kind words really mean a lot!!

We'll have to get back together here for my second year and to help each of you celebrate your maintenance milestones!

We can all do this... Remember one successful meal at a time, one successful day at a time... cause they add up and before you know it, BAM! You'll be at your goal weight too!

I'm cheering all of you "Onward, ↓ DOWNWARD & MAINTENANCE 4ever!"

Jo

Hi! My name is Jo and I’m a recovering morbidly obese carb addict!

Last edited by Just Jo : Tue, Mar-10-15 at 16:57. Reason: Option E
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-15, 14:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Congratulations, Just Jo! Hardly anyone on the planet finds out that MAINTENANCE is the hardest thing of all. This anniversary means everything, and you've earned your success 100%.

Best wishes.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-15, 17:39

Plan: Atkins 2002ish/LCHF
Stats: 228/166/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 63%

Huge Congrats to you Jo. You are truly inspiring.

When I get small I want to be just like you.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-15, 12:11
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Weight loss is great, but maintaining the loss appears to be the thing nobody gets. But not you! Congrats on one full year of maintenance -- and CHEERS to your second year of keeping the weight off. You have been a rock and a bundle of positive energy ever since I found this forum. Thanks for all you contribute to this place and thanks for sticking around and encouraging the rest of us to keep on keeping on. Enjoy this milestone. You earned it. I look forward to an update a year from now.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 12:17

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 192/161.4/140 Female 5ft 5in
BF:way too much!
Progress: 59%

I am several months behind everyone else but I just want to say that knowing that you fought for yourself and reached your goal and let yourself hold onto it is a major inspiration. Good job, congrats and thank you!! You are the dream and I love you for it!!!
M.