Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 00:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Scientists Reveal How Keto Diet May Boost Your Brain and Lifespan

Quote:
Scientists Reveal How Keto Diet May Boost Your Brain and Lifespan

If you have ever dabbled in the world of dieting, you are likely to have stumbled across the famous ketogenic diet. But aside from melting fat and dropping pounds, this diet has been associated with improvements in brain health and longevity.

Now, new research has revealed how these beneficial effects might take place at a molecular level, at least in mice.

"The ketogenic diet modifies the energy source for cells, replacing carbohydrates with fat," Christian González-Billault, a professor at the University of Chile and Buck Institute in California and director of the Geroscience Center for Brain Health and Metabolism, told Newsweek. "Such change induces a metabolic shift [...] corresponding to the state where cells maintain their functions on a new energy substrate, the fat."

If you have ever dabbled in the world of dieting, you are likely to have stumbled across the famous ketogenic diet. But aside from melting fat and dropping pounds, this diet has been associated with improvements in brain health and longevity.

Now, new research has revealed how these beneficial effects might take place at a molecular level, at least in mice.

"The ketogenic diet modifies the energy source for cells, replacing carbohydrates with fat," Christian González-Billault, a professor at the University of Chile and Buck Institute in California and director of the Geroscience Center for Brain Health and Metabolism, told Newsweek. "Such change induces a metabolic shift [...] corresponding to the state where cells maintain their functions on a new energy substrate, the fat."

In other words, this extreme restriction of dietary carbohydrates causes our body's cells to shift from using glucose as their primary source of fuel to using fat. This condition is known as ketosis.

To enter ketosis, carbohydrates must only make up about 5 percent of your daily calorie consumption.

"Typical diets in the U.S. are around 50 percent calories from carbohydrate, so this is DRASTIC," Christopher Gardner, Rehnborg Farquhar professor of medicine and director of nutrition studies at the Stanford Prevention Research Center at Stanford University, previously told Newsweek.

"In order to be in ketosis, the emphasis needs to be on fat. A 'Well Formulated Ketogenic Diet' is around 75 percent fat. The typical American diet is around 35 percent fat, so this means more than a doubling of fat intake."

Despite the restrictive nature of this diet, as many as 7 percent of Americans followed the eating plan in 2022, according to data from the International Food Information Council. But, according to research in mice, the benefits of this metabolic shift may extend far beyond weight loss.

"Our work indicates that the effects of the ketogenic diet benefit brain function broadly, and we provide a mechanism of action that offers a strategy for the maintenance and improvement of this function during aging," González-Billault said.

In a new study, published in the journal Cell Reports Medicine, González-Billault and colleagues fed a group of aged mice a ketogenic diet and observed how it impacted their behavior and working memory.

On further investigation, the team saw that the mice on the ketogenic diet showed changes in the activity of the junctions between different cells in the brain involved in memory processing. Interestingly, these changes in activity appeared to be partially orchestrated by the molecules produced when the body goes into ketogenesis, known scientifically as ketone bodies.

"The results collected in our work provide a mechanistic explanation of the beneficial roles of the intermittent ketogenic diet in aged animals, which is an essential first step to understanding the molecular aspects responsible for the effect of this intervention," González-Billault said.

"We believe those effects might be related to maintaining capacities that naturally decrease during aging in aged individuals. In a sense, the resilience of the animals is increased, delaying the deleterious effects of aging on body functions."

However, it is so far unclear how translatable these findings are to humans.

"At this moment, these auspicious results in mice need further studies to address whether this intervention is suitable to improve human body functions," González-Billault said. "[The] high diversity and variability in humans related to genetic ancestry, genetic and non-genetic risk factors, lifestyle, the environment, education levels, and social and personal history make it challenging to propose one helpful, valuable strategy to all humans."

The keto diet is also not without its side effects.

"A chronic ketogenic diet, as opposed to our study using an intermittent ketogenic diet, might induce side effects due to the high consumption of fat, affecting the performance of critical organs such as the liver or increasing some cardiovascular risks due to imbalance in fatty acids and cholesterol," González-Billault said.

The restrictive nature of the diet also makes it difficult to stick to over a long period.

"For most people who try this diet, the success is short term," Gardner said. "It is so restrictive that most people can't maintain it long term."

However, González-Billault and his team hopes to isolate the molecules responsible for the memory improvements seen in their animal models to potentially provide the same results without the need for restrictive dieting.

"There are some strategies to circumvent some of these problems by providing ketone bodies instead of a high-fat diet, which merits further exploration to evaluate if this can be a strategy for improvement in humans in the long run," he said.

https://www.newsweek.com/scientists...ifespan-1914974

Quote:
How the Ketogenic Diet Improves Healthspan and Memory in Aging Mice

The insight into mechanisms provides new targets for improving memory that may not even require a ketogenic diet

https://www.buckinstitute.org/news/...-in-aging-mice/

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-24, 07:52

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Heck, I went low carb when we found out it was good for worms! Convinced the researcher to go low carb.

Scientific backing, I call it.

Quote:
"A chronic ketogenic diet, as opposed to our study using an intermittent ketogenic diet, might induce side effects due to the high consumption of fat, affecting the performance of critical organs such as the liver or increasing some cardiovascular risks due to imbalance in fatty acids and cholesterol," González-Billault said.

The restrictive nature of the diet also makes it difficult to stick to over a long period.

This is more "booga-booga" to scare people away from animal foods. I find my meals, mostly animal foods and animal fat, to be easy to stick to. For one thing, it makes me feel so good.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Jun-21-24 at 14:55.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 05:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I've been able to stick to a low carb diet for over 20 years. I find it easy to do so. I just had a physical a few weeks ago and my liver enzymes are fine, and my lipids are great.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 07:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It floors me sometimes, how they think sticking to a particular diet is so hard compared to, say, being on disability and maybe a crap ton of drugs at best, or institutionalized at worst.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 09:52

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
It floors me sometimes, how they think sticking to a particular diet is so hard compared to, say, being on disability and maybe a crap ton of drugs at best, or institutionalized at worst.

And it's also not as if anyone has ever been able to stick to a low fat, low calorie weight loss diet for life.

Even the very few people I have known who have always eaten as low calorie and low fat as possible will occasionally gain a few pounds over time. When they want to lose weight they cut out fat altogether and cut calories to starvation levels to lose those few pounds. Then they go back to their usual low calorie low fat diet - but that's not even a weight loss diet for them, it's their everyday maintenance diet... which eventually results in weight gain anyway, so not such a good maintenance diet after all, since they need to resort to the starvation diet to lose the few pounds they've gained.

If your diet isn't good for maintenance, then it's not a good diet for losing weight - and that's the problem with the whole weight loss industry. They provide one diet for losing weight, then expect you to somehow maintain on a different diet.

Or in the case of the GLP-1 drugs, they expect you to lose on the drugs which control your appetite, but somehow maintain on your own - when it's already very clear to many GLP-1 users that if there's a shortage and they can't get their drug, their appetite is immediately out of control. For some, the urge to eat everything in sight starts 24-48 hours before they're even due to take their weekly dose.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-24, 17:33

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

Amen.

But most people are ruled by their internal drives, not their brains.

And the people who tell you fat is bad for you are the people who grow veggies and produce frankenfoods. They have a lot more money to promote themselves than the meat people. And sugar tastes good.

For millions of years, sugar and starch was only available right before the starvation season, winter in the temperate zones, and the dry season in the tropics. Those who ate the sugar/starch got fat enough to live through the starvation season and pass those genes on to their offspring. Those who didn't fatten themselves up, didn't make it.

So we have this inner drive, given to us through millennia of evolution, to eat those fattening foods. But instead of only being available right before the starvation season, we've figured out how to make them available all year. And we have eliminated the starvation season for most of us by effective food storage.

But we still have those drives. Knowing this should allow you to override those drives with your brain and be healthy.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-24, 09:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

At the height of my high-fat days, I ate 75% fat, 20% protein & 5% carbs. But in the process of increasing protein I found I didn't need as much fat to eliminate hunger & cravings. Now I eat 50-55% fat, 35-40% protein & 5-10% carbs. 50% fat sounds high to low-fatters, but I eat much less food and therefore much less fat than I did when binging on junk with 50% fat & 50% white carbs.

Grains & other white carbs always cause me "brain fog". I sometimes wonder if much of the Covid brain fog came from sitting at home eating comfort food junk.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-24, 14:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
At the height of my high-fat days, I ate 75% fat, 20% protein & 5% carbs. But in the process of increasing protein I found I didn't need as much fat to eliminate hunger & cravings. Now I eat 50-55% fat, 35-40% protein & 5-10% carbs. 50% fat sounds high to low-fatters, but I eat much less food and therefore much less fat than I did when binging on junk with 50% fat & 50% white carbs.

Grains & other white carbs always cause me "brain fog". I sometimes wonder if much of the Covid brain fog came from sitting at home eating comfort food junk.

Ditto. The keto bashing has come from several different fronts, and the primary argument is that it's not sustainable. The secondary argument is it requires consumption of so much fat, that it is unhealthy and thwarts weight loss. I had the same experience in that increasing my protein and moderately reducing my fat didn't take me out of fat-burning mode, and it enabled me to find the right keto combination for me. Lots of naysayers today, but I'm convinced the primary negatives come from food manufacturers, pharma, and as a response to pharma, the medical community, which has developed a pattern of supporting pharma due to subsidies and other forms of financial incentives including the capture of medical schools' courses of studies. We teach our medical professionals how to prescribe chemicals to minimize side effects rather than treat the actual root causes. Krazy world . . .
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-24, 03:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
the primary argument is that it's not sustainable

Which is a lie, plain and simple. From the very beginning low carb gave me freedom from hunger, enjoyment of food, and health sustaining effects.

However, I noticed (from Gary Taubes) that so many sugar researchers simply cannot understand how sugar can hurt anyone when it feels so good!

Sounds like a bunch of addicts who can't conceive giving up their drug. Which isn't good science, either.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-24, 06:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
the primary argument is that it's not sustainable. The secondary argument is it requires consumption of so much fat, that it is unhealthy and thwarts weight loss.

Ditto - I have sustained this way of eating for 20 years now. I still eat around 60-65% fat. Lowering my fat intake is what’s unsustainable for me as is raising my carb intake above 5-10%. Protein stays at about 30%.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-24, 07:48

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Ditto. The keto bashing has come from several different fronts, and the primary argument is that it's not sustainable. The secondary argument is it requires consumption of so much fat, that it is unhealthy and thwarts weight loss. <...snip...>

I think keto bashing comes from big sugar and big frankenfood, and their minions who pretend they are doctors AND experts on nutrition.

I've been keto since the 1990, although it was Atkins Induction back then. Simply, fewer than 20 net carbs per day, and twice as much fat as protein.

If anyone says it's not sustainable, consider that a lie. I've been doing it almost 34 years.

If anyone says it's not healthy, take that with a huge grain of salt. At the age of 78, I have the circulatory system, from heart to capillaries, of a healthy 50-year-old man. I catch a mild, 2-day cold every 15 years or so, and haven't had the flu since I went keto (and I don't get flu shots).

Thwarts weight lost? I lost 60 pounds the first year, and I'm still 60 pounds down.

Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Of course, that's just me, others might find different results. If one diet plan worked for all, we'd only need one diet plan.

Bob
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-24, 10:25

BF:

The only thing that's not really sustainable about it is that almost everyone else around you eats very differently, and every time you walk into a grocery store, you're bombarded with all your old favorite junk foods, as well as new ones on the market that sound wonderful to your not-yet-retrained taste buds.

If you have a problem going against the grain (literally), then it's not only going to be very difficult to transition to a keto (or LC) diet, but it's going to be very difficult to stick to long term.

And that's what causes most people to give up on it - there's just too much temptation out there to avoid, and they can't "just say no" and mean it. Enablers are everywhere:

"Oh come on, it's only one little piece of cake, it can't hurt"
"You're really missing out, this bread is delicious!"
"I made these cookies for you because I know they're your favorite."

There are also instances where people believe it to be far too expensive to eat LC.

It's not, but they're convinced that they need to eat steak every day (when hamburger works just as well), that they need to buy keto labeled snacks (when you're better off if you don't use them).

Sometimes personal taste is involved in the decision to give up a LC way of life - they like steak ($$$$$), but hate chicken ($$). They like the ultra-processed Keto (candy) bars ($8 or more for a box of 5), but hate string cheese (less than $3 for a dozen).

Sometimes they're using foods with so many gut upsetting sugar alcohols that they might as well still be eating sugar, keeping the cravings going.

All those things (and more) can undermine the ability to stay LC/keto long enough to even figure out how to do it without spending any more money (and probably even less) than you did when you were eating high carb, and begin to truly enjoy eating this way.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-24, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 260/220/220 Male 6' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The diet industry wants to keep the focus on weight loss. The thing that makes it sustainable for me is that the long-term nutritional ketosis it is curing my medical conditions and preventing the conditions I don’t have yet. If you have cared for suffering family members with similar genes, it is very motivating.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-24, 00:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred42
The thing that makes it sustainable for me is that the long-term nutritional ketosis it is curing my medical conditions and preventing the conditions I don’t have yet. If you have cared for suffering family members with similar genes, it is very motivating.

Familial diabetes was my original impetus, not just weight loss. Myself and one brother are low carb/keto.

The brother with diabetes tried it, IMPROVED, but couldn't stick with it. Now he's disabled with a stroke. Getting therapy and all, but it was preventable.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-24, 07:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Familial diabetes was my original impetus, not just weight loss. Myself and one brother are low carb/keto.

The brother with diabetes tried it, IMPROVED, but couldn't stick with it. Now he's disabled with a stroke. Getting therapy and all, but it was preventable.

I'm so sorry about your brother - and while what he's going through was preventable, I can honestly say that I believe sugar and starch are such highly addictive substances that I fully understand why so many people can't stick to LC, including many who really want to make it work. Sugars and starches are substances that affect the brain and pleasure centers in similar ways to alcohol, nicotine, and illicit drugs. Beating an addiction to that blood sugar high is every bit as difficult as beating a drug or alcohol addiction.

Actually I'd say it's a lot more difficult than beating an addiction to things like alcohol, tobacco and drugs.

What makes it so difficult to beat a sugar and starch addiction is that unlike alcohol, tobacco and drugs, you don't need to go out of your way to get sugar and starch - you don't need to go to the liquor stores or tobacco counter and show ID to get sugar and starch. You don't need to seek out a drug dealer in a shady alley to get sugar and starch. It's everywhere in all but the most basic foods. (And sometimes even hidden in fairly basic foods)

Even though sugars and starches have been standard components of most world diets since the beginning of agriculture, not everyone who eats them becomes addicted to sugars and starches. I am definitely someone that when it comes to sugars and starches "one is too many, a thousand is never enough" - the phrase that's the backbone of AA and other anonymous groups. The only way that they can beat their addiction is to stay away from the addictive substance 100% of the time. If they slip up and give in to that addiction again - they need to get right back on the wagon. But it still goes back to "one is too many, a thousand is never enough" - the addiction never goes away, and any exposure makes it that much more difficult to quit again.

Sugar and starch are everywhere though - they're considered to be such a normal and expected part of everyone's diet that if you are highly addicted to them, you find out that it takes a tremendous amount of effort to avoid accidentally ingesting them.

In order to avoid those sugars and starches, you need to read the ingredient label on every single thing you eat, even foods that theoretically should not contain any sugars or starches at all. But first you need to learn dozens of words that refer to various sugars and starches so you know what to look for. A pork tenderloin may look good - but it has a marinade on it that contains maltodextrin. A cheese looks good, but it has some flavorings that contain galactose. Even foods you've bought for years that were always free of sugars and starches sometimes have something new added to them.

Eating out is a complete minefield for someone who is addicted to sugars and starches. Theoretically it should be safe to order a steak and some steamed veggies - but that assumes the steak is not automatically treated with a rub that contains some kind of sugar and/or starch to assist in browning, and that the veggies are not soaked in sugar to cut any bitterness.

I've quit sugar and starches at least 3 times in my life. I may not have gone through the DTs (like an alcoholic would) when I quit, but it is still extremely difficult to do, especially given how easy it is to accidentally eat something you didn't realize had sugar or starch in it... and far too easy to fall off the wagon if you are not vigilant about it every single day.