Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/178/135 Female 5'3"
BF:31/27/23
Progress: 0%
Wink Easy Meals Needed

I am new to the board and new to the low carb dieting!! I have tried many different diets, but they never seem to work! I am a mother of 5 and always on the go so I find easiest to just stop somewhere (fast food rest.) and grab something to eat when I am hungry!! I need ideas of fast and easy things that I can fix or grab to eat in my mad rush, to work, basketball prac., cheerleading pract., dance class, football prac!! by the time I get home I am too tired to do a bunch of preparing for myself and have to also prepare dinner for my family! Can someone give me any tips or ideas or share your daily menu with me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 20:23

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Suggestion 1, pick a day or 2 a week and cook ahead, there's lots of low carb one pot meals, you can make the deep dish pizza, or just cook extra meats. One thing I do is cook 4 to 5 lbs of fresh sausages ( cheap at Sam's Club ) on the electric grill and freeze them in baggies.
Suggestion 2, cheese, including string cheese ( again cheap at Sam's ), boiled eggs, low carb lunch meats. You can make low carb sandwiches by using cheese, meats, and mayo (or other condiments)rolled up in romaine lettuce leaves.
Suggestion 3, use low carb sausages and cook them with saurkraut. If you use the precooked sausages, you should be able to heat this up in 10 to 15 min.
Suggestion 4 Use a crockpot, this has endless uses for one pot meals. Just throw the stuff in it in the morning, turn it on low and hot food when you get home. Or, depending on what's best for you, put the stuff in the pot in the evening and refridgerate. Pull it out and start it in the morning.
There's a start. Nyah Levi
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-02, 00:39
Registered Member

Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Here's what I do...

I have four kids so I can relate. Here's some suggestions:

1) Buy a big bag of chicken breasts and roast them all at once and store in a zip lock or whatever in the frig. You can just whip it out and snack on it straight or make it into salad, or letttuce roll-up tacos, or eat it with cheese. I usually pull one out as I'm preparing dinner for everyone else to keep me from cheating or losing my mind while I try to keep everybody happy.

2) I keep a summer sausage in my frig and pull it out, cut it into cubes and microwave them to snack on with cheese or macadamia nuts. Gotta be careful not to overdo it with these, but it's tasty and keeps me from cheating.

3) Have you tried Pork Skins? They are good with dip and sooth the craving for crunchy. They are also good crushed over salads, a good stand in for croutons. Also, you can make nachos with them

4) Sometimes I make up a bunch of celery sticks with cream cheese ahead of time so it's quick and easy.

5) I boil about a dozen eggs all at once and keep them in the fridge so I can make myself a quick deviled egg (or two!)

6) AND FINALLY, this is my personal favorite... do you have a cream whipper? They are great for this WOE. You can make up a pint of whipped cream in it and it will keep for up to 10 days (not that mine ever lasts that long). I sweeten mine with Spenda sweetened flavoring (to avoid the carbs in the powered Splenda). I have been finding Spenda sweetened flavoring at Walmart lately for a pretty good price. This method is great because the whipper pumps a lot more air into the cream than a conventional mixer and you can get more bang for your buck. I also sometimes put a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder in there too. YUM. You can pull it out of the frig and squirt yourself a little spoon of heaven when no one is looking (I have to hide it from the kids or they'll just devour it all in about 30 seconds!). If you decide to get one, you can get a good deal on the chargers on ebay. I used to spend about 70 cents per charge and now I pay only about 40 cents (after shipping).

Good Luck!
Heather
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-02, 10:23

Stats: 230/176/180
BF:
Progress: 108%

What is that Splenda sweetened flavoring called? Also.....I don't think I've ever heard of a cream whipper. Is that at Walmart too?

Thanks
Mike
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 11:28

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I just got a creamwhipper for Christmas (I asked Santa for one!).

The most well known brand is ISI - but mine is a KISAG which my husband (Santa) got from Williams of Sonoma. My Walmart DOES NOT carry them... but yours may. Check online for those brand names (google search on ISI or KISAG and you should find lots of info and ordering information).

It is heavenly to have the whipped cream made with Davinci syrups so it is VERY LOW carb. A little squirt on some SF cherry jello... Heaven!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 11:35

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

One other quick thing... I would HIGHLY recommend treating yourself and buying the Atkin's diet Cookbook. There are endless great recipes (mostly ones you can cook then refridgerate/freeze) and just warm up when necessary. My fiancee and I (both on Atkin's, and with 2 children) tend to have one day of cooking and that is it.

Good luck!
Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 13:22
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

One of the easiest things that works for me is to get some lettuce, or a mix of your favorite lettuce greens, chop and put into a huge ziplock or bowl. I grab a handful, plop some tuna salad, egg salad, or shread some turkey lunchmeat on top, put some blue cheese, etc. It is now my "bed of lettuce" that I start topping with yummy stuff instead of the old noodles or rice.

I also do the same with my eggs....I'll make a giant crustless quiche (put butter in the pan first, then a bunch of shredded cheese and let the cheese get cooked hard and become the "crust"). I put in any and all leftovers I have...chopped broccoli, last night's green beans, some cheese, bacon, etc. I'll freeze this in pieces and take out for a quick breakfast.

NEVER be without your water bottle!!! Drink until your back teeth float. And take your vitamins.

Hang in here to get familiar with what you're doing and to ask your questions...this is a great forum with wonderful, helpful people who have lots of advice. It saved me lots of times!!!

And remember: This is EASY and FUN and 40 pounds is NOT a lot to lose on low-carbing...you'll see.

#8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 17:02

Stats: 178/178/135 Female 5'3"
BF:31/27/23
Progress: 0%

Thanks to everyone with all the great ideas!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 15:03
Registered Member

Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default The Splenda sweetened syrups at Walmart...

Are called Torani. My Walmart carries varieties of this brand that are sugar based and sugar free. They have a nice variety of flavors like Raspberry, English Toffee, vanilla, etc.

I got my cream whipper at a mall kitchen gadget store. You can also get them on Ebay.

Heather
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 06:53

Stats: 230/176/180
BF:
Progress: 108%

Thanks Heather

Mike
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 12:37
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Don't forget about the crock-pot! Can get plenty of cooking done in that while you do other things... a small roast or sliced meat lasts me for a few meals and snacks.

The rest of my "menus" are in ziplock bags in the fridge!