Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 17:45

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Ketosis Durring Pregnancy

I have been resurching to see if there has been any studies on people being in ketosis while pregnant while pregnant and I cant find anything. I found a study of mice, I think thats a stupid study because mice are not meant to eat the way we are.
I did find an article some where that Dr Atkins origional stated that ketosis was fine for pregnant women but he was later forced to recant that and that is why the books state to be in maintance level carbs when pregnant. Sorry I didn't think to save the articles.

I want to know if anyone had stayed in ketosis durring pregnancy. I find it hard to believe that it is harmful for the fetus since we are made to run on ketones.

Are there any articles of women that have been in ketosis durring pregnancy and how it all turned out?

I don't want to hear what others "think" one should do, I want to hear testamonials one way or another type thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 10:10

BF:

Last edited by sexym2 : Fri, Sep-26-14 at 12:52.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-14, 10:34

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I really want to learn more about this myself. I read a snippet on Mark's Daily Apple (I think) that said he suggested a bit higher carbohydrate count during pregnancy - 100g is the number I was remembering. The little bit of info I've seen has mentioned that higher protein intake has been associated with low birth weight fetuses. Another low-carb oriented site mentioned 60-75g per day.

I personally am about 99% sure our one "oops" moment this month has gotten me pregnant. I am craving carbs - beyond tempted to have potatoes after not touching them for over a year and a half - and I'd technically already be 5weeks pregnant from my dates. For myself, 60+ carbs a day is a lot more than I've had since I started low-carbing in May 2013. I'm finding it hard to think of what I'm going to do food-wise if I am pregnant...grrrrrr

I haven't read the links you provided but I plan on it in a moment...and will keep researching for myself too. Most studies don't use pregnant women just because of the liability and risk to the fetus...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-14, 10:44

BF:

I have spoken with 3 women that ate ketogenic diets while pregnant and they all have healthy babies. I'm leaning to the side that low carb is not unhealthy, it can't be. We are designed to eat low carb, its good for our bodies, why would it be bad for babies? I think Marks Daily Apple is pulling numbers out of his ass as others are doing as well because no one has an answer to that question. I could see super high protein being a problem but were not talking 12 oz steak 4 times a day kinda thing.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-14, 11:23

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

hm, i had a big thread a few years ago where i was putting articles, blog posts by md's etc about ketosis during pregnancy while i was pregnant with my daughter. i was vlc during the first 4 or 5 months as it was the only thing that helped with my severe nausea (i'm sure i would have been diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum if i hadn't have been on low carb), and then fairly lowcarb until the third trimester when i let things slip and ate whatever, LOL. baby was totally healthy and now as a 2 1/2 year old is sooo smart it's scary (knows her letters and numbers, very emotionally mature, starting to read, interested in telling time etc). she's very tall for her age (wearing size 5 clothes) and most people think she's a lot older than she is because of her height and intelligence.

eta link to my old thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=432898
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 07:47

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Heaps of women are thought to be in ketosis due to morning sickness. I think someone would have made a connection by now between morning sickness and Ill/stunted/poorly grown children if this was a problem. Although MS only lasts a few weeks for most people..?
I low carbed about half the time and so far baby is fine, long and happy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 15:34

BF:

That is wonderful to hear. The last iVF treatment didn't work and we had a set back on this next IVF treatment but its set tentatively in a month. I have finally gotten on track been eating clean VLC for 6 days now. Its hard but I really hope to keep this up and into the pregnancy. I just can't see it not be good for us, after all keeping steady BG would be great for everyone.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 22:41

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Best of luck to you! FIngers crossed it works this time.