Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 10:53

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Thirst during early stages pregnancy?

I am about 7 weeks pregnant and am now eating fairly low carb, no sugar, grains, but lots of meat, veg, dairy and some fruit. I have been queezy, but so far not vomited (yay!) a bit gassy and definatly hungry for meals!

Last few days have been meals like:
2 rashers bacon with sliced tomato, cucumber and cheese (& teaspoon ketchup)
Home made squash soup.
Tex-mex beef mince - with salsa of onion, red pepper, mango, tomatoes, corriander and sour cream.
McDonalds burgers (2! without the buns).
Poached salmon and salad with cheese.
Lamb hotpot with beetroot (veg, meat and a small bit of potato!)

Thing I've noticed is I'm very thirsty. Thirsty all the time. Four pints of water so far today, and its been increasing over the last week at least. Not eaten tons, it wasn't very salty food, only done usual levels of activity, its not hot here. Being unusually thirsty makes me think of diabetes which is hugely scary.

I was measured and found to have some insulin resistance about 6 years ago, which is when I started learning about lowcarbing. I measured urine ketones, they're coming up as 'small' - I know its not acurate, but wanted to get an idea. Any thoughts? Do you think this is because of the ketones? I'll get to meet my mid wife in another couple of days.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 10:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Tell your midwife. She can check that you havent got the start of gestational diabetes, altho low carbing should keep that in check anyway

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-14, 18:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 154/140/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I had excessive thirst with my first pregnancy too and I ended up with gestational diabetes. I was at a normal weight to start but did gain way too much throughout the pregnancy. Now I wonder if not gaining too much weight would have changed anything.
I'm now about 5 weeks pregnant with my second and don't have excessive thirst yet. Following a low carb diet this time and hoping for a normal weight gain!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-14, 20:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes. Get checked!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 07:58

BF:

Thought I'd post here in case anyone comes across it with same question.
I remained thirsty throughout the pregnancy and for first week after birth... 8pints of water of day was average. Got up to 12pints sometimes. All I did was drink and pee for nine months. Not diabetes apparently, midwives not concerned.
Had a huge amount of swelling. Feet and ankles unrecognisable, pitting up to thighs, swollen abdomen and thighs. Id lost 16kg four days after birth (baby 4kg, placenta 1kg, no amniotic fluid, 1.5litres blood loss) so about 9litres of excess fluid!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 09:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow! How'd you figure out how much blood you lost?

Anyway, thanks for the update and congrats!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 10:08

BF:

They told me. I had a section.

Thanks!

Also, when I say swollen abdomen, I don't mean the baby bump! I mean fluid hanging under the bump, gross!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 08:38

Plan: keto
Stats: 188/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Of course get checked, but you already knew that! I will say though, that the first few months of pregnancy your blood volume increases dramatically. It could be that you just need more water! Let us know what you learn after visiting your midwife.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 11:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Congrats Ronnie and Kate.
Yes, get checked to be safe, but thirst is a very common early sign of pregnancy.
I have researched early signs repeatedly over the last year (I'm trying to conceive), and have managed to convince m myself at least twice i was pregnant

Glad you are feeling (pretty) well Ronnie!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 11:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Gestational diabetes doesnt kick in yet. A couple hormonal changes and fetal development required first and that is still weeks away.

You are drinking because that bacon has lots of salt.

AND your blood volume needs to surge. A pregnant mom gains a huge amount of weight due to a huge incease in the blood supply. I had trouble with anemia during this time as the surge in red blood cells was more than my iron supply.

Eat iron rich beef as your best supply of absorbable iron.

After delivering my boys, my weight dropped like a rock. Not just the weight of the baby, amniotic fluids and placenta, but a huge drop in the support fluids.

Keep up your fluids. If you get dehydrated, the uterus will cramp. I was on the floor in severe pain until I remembered : drink!!!! 3 glasses later the cramps stopped.

Congrats on your baby!