Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-12, 10:08

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%
Default LC Parenting Success

I have tried to lead my kids to an LC lifestyle, without forcefully cramming it down their throats. Family meals have some, but few, carbs. They are allowed to eat "junk" when presented it with in social situations, but they are always offered meat, eggs, nuts, jerky, etc., at home, with some carbs.

My kids' favorite snacks include jerky, seeds, melon, nuts.

But quick meals have continued to be an issue. For my middle one, especially, he still wants a bag of noodles as a second dinner on days he has practice (he is a gymnast and a soccer player) or when he is extra hungry. And I really hated filling him up with noodles. The oldest and youngest would rather have a steak as a second dinner when they are extra hungry, but the middle one just doesn't really like steak. He is 11, and he has recently learned how to fry eggs in butter. He started eating this in the evenings because he thought cooking his own food was fun. But now he has realized eggs are filling and they taste pretty good when you get to make them exactly how you want them.

It feels so good to see him go for eggs over noodles.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 178/120/120 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am the same, I try to have LC food around so my kids and husband would be more likely to eat lower carb but I don’t push it on them.

I have a child close to the same age and he plays sports. I try to have chicken wings or chicken thighs handy. Also ham or ribs.

I also have lots of low cab veggies around all the time, so kids are more likely to grab that. With sports he gets very hungry, sometimes they practice 2-3 hours a night.

Another thing I do is make soups with lots of meat (chicken or beef) and add low carb veggies but no potatoes or noodles. They don’t seem to miss the carbs when they don’t see them in the soup.