Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 14:06

Plan: Cambridge diet
Stats: 275/220/155 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Tips for staying LC during pregnancy

Hi everyone

I found out I'm pregnant today and I'd really really love to not gain any weight during this pregnancy. Is this safe and possible with LC? Is there anything I should do or should avoid??

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 15:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Congrats!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 23:05

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

congrats

if you check out the "benefits of ketosis during pregnancy" thread you'll find some links that i dug up in my first trimester. my carbs are higher now than i was then but i'm really happy with how this pregnancy is progressing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: Own
Stats: 276/274/140 Female 5'6''
BF:57/57/30
Progress: 1%

Hope it's ok if I piggy back on this thread, just want to see any good tips that come up!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 12:45

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I stayed very low in carbs in my first trimester, and I actually lost about 12 pounds. I regained those plus some over the remainder of my pregnancy when I stopped sticking to low carb (stress from some major life events occurring at the same time as the fall/winter holiday season was a recipe for disaster for my diet!). However, I'm now 2 weeks post partum and only about 10-12 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight, so most of the weight disappeared very quickly.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 13:01

how lowcarb do you figure you are right now jill?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 14:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
how lowcarb do you figure you are right now jill?

umm, I would not define my current eating as low-carb (says the girl who just ate a cup of Junior Mint ice cream...). I have yet to get back on the low-carb wagon, yet my weight seems to still be slowly going down. I'll get stricter with diet again once my life is more settled, but right now, microwave meals and convenience foods are a reality while we still settle from our move and our new addition
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 10:48

Plan: nursing lc paleo
Stats: 175/147/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I was in ketosis (not on purpose) during my second pregagncy and she is my healthiest child. I would not try and lose weight just focus on nourshing your baby at a carb level that you feel well at. I felt really good eating lower carband had a very healthy pregnancy (I did not even get a cold). I also ate a lot of greens, homemade bone broths, and chicken liver pate. (Check out www.westonaprice.org)
Many high nutrient density foods are lower carb foods.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 11:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Just today on NPR they reported a story that a new study finds a connection between children with autism and obesity or diabetes in the mother during pregnancy. Wisely, the author says obesity may not CAUSE autism, and it's an early study, but the possibility seems like good incentive to stay low carb. Here's a link:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...f-obese-mothers

Both Dr Jay Wortman (www.drjaywortman.com) and Dr Andreas Eenfeldt (www.dietdoctor.com) fathered children whose mothers ate low carb during pregnancy. Dr Wortman is raising his daughter low carb too, and often reports on her glowing progress.

Congratulations to you!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Just today on NPR they reported a story that a new study finds a connection between children with autism and obesity or diabetes in the mother during pregnancy. Wisely, the author says obesity may not CAUSE autism, and it's an early study, but the possibility seems like good incentive to stay low carb. Here's a link:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...f-obese-mothers

this is one of the big reasons why i wanted to stay lower carbed during pregnancy. my first is on the autism spectrum and they know now that higher than usual maternal testosterone levels during pregnancy are also related to offspring with asd. i have pcos and normally need to eat lc to control my testosterone (and other hormones). havent read the link yet, but i hope that they mentioned the hormone cascade and how it is linked to high carb diets.

eta: just read thru the article, but the study they're linking to has absolutely nothing to do with maternal obesity/asd in offspring. junk journalism at its best

Last edited by walnut : Mon, Apr-09-12 at 13:38.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 15:34

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
eta: just read thru the article, but the study they're linking to has absolutely nothing to do with maternal obesity/asd in offspring. junk journalism at its best

I agree! What is so weird is that is a totally different story than I heard this morning. The woman I heard earlier (who sounded very different from this woman) said that obesity/diabetes did NOT necessarily cause autism, and further study was needed. This led me to believe that she believed that a common source caused both autism and obesity, which I think is a very reasonable approach. Either I'm losing my mind, or they changed the story...I don't listen to any other stations so I couldn't have heard it elsewhere. So strange!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 03:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/167/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 58%

Very interested to read all of your experiences and opinions. We have just started TTC our first and I've been LC-ing for 6 weeks so far, I'm considerably overweight (want to lose at least 42lbs). If/when we conceive I'd like to contain eating LC although I appreciate I may not be able to at my current level (20g carbs a day) and maintaining ketosis might not be a great idea. Where possible I'd like to continue losing weight (18lbs down so far) throughout the pregnancy but just not sure if this is safe?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 12:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelists
Very interested to read all of your experiences and opinions. We have just started TTC our first and I've been LC-ing for 6 weeks so far, I'm considerably overweight (want to lose at least 42lbs). If/when we conceive I'd like to contain eating LC although I appreciate I may not be able to at my current level (20g carbs a day) and maintaining ketosis might not be a great idea. Where possible I'd like to continue losing weight (18lbs down so far) throughout the pregnancy but just not sure if this is safe?

Ketosis is fine according to every REAL thing I've read (i.e., not scare tactics or articles with no substantiating evidence). I was likely in ketosis through most of my first trimester and into my second. I also lost about 12 pounds in my first trimester.

I was going to direct you to the "All Things Babies" thread, but I see you found it
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 12:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/167/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks Jill! Xx
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 19:56

Plan: peloe
Stats: 207/223/170 Female 64
BF: