Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 13:45

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 218/159.2/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Help me convince people that doing Atkins with dairy while breastfeeding is okay!

Need help explaining this to someone who is asking if she can do atkins while breastfeeding. Of course i'm the only one that says yes, i've done it for 8 1/2 months & my baby is thriving. My supply has never been compromised. What facts can I tell them besides it being a very healthy diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 13:56

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Well your results are speaking for themselves! I wish I had known that I could do Atkins while breastfeeding.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-09, 14:00
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Yep. Perfectly safe while breastfeeding.

I'd say something like---how can eliminating junk, processed food and sugar, and eating whole foods, fresh green leafy veg, nuts, low glycemic fruits and dairy not be healthy??? Also tell them that whole fats are needed for infant brain growth (whole meaning things like butter, meat fats, nut oils etc..)

Oh!! I do say something like that.....everyday... to my patients whether breastfeeding or pregnant

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-10, 11:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

I am also bfing my 12 mo.
I say taste the milk, it is sweet! The body produces exactly what your baby needs. Even when having a low carb input, the output is what it should be.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-10, 17:33

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Point out that during the course of history, women have managed to breastfeed eating just about any and all sorts and combinations of food, or even none at all. Nature ensures that the baby gets what it needs, even if the mother goes short. And any nursing mother will tell you that the cravings if you are going short are astonishing.

But breastmilk is a high fat food, so a high fat diet like Atkins is actually ideal. Trying to combine low fat with breastfeeding tends to result in binges and pig-outs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 03:15

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Definitely safe whilst breastfeeding and after receiving the recent results of insulin levels in my milk I think now that it's probably the best thing for baby if anyone is subject to insulin resistance. And yet we are made to feel so guilty for not having "healthy" foods like bread, potatoes and pasta.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/208/160 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I am new. I have a 10 mos. old I am still nursing through the night. She takes formula during the day when I am working.

I have always felt it safe, but having naysayers around me, made me question it. I have gotten those ketone strips, and at times, i have registered a high count of ketones..extreme purple, but after expressing some breast milk onto the strip, it registers negative.

I am convinced that your breastmilk has the same nutrional facts, no matter what you eat.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 16:26

BF:

worm, i believe so too. i'd think my daughter would be sick if she had ketones in her diet. I have never tested my milk, I guess I just think God would let me know if I was hurting her. ya know?

Anyway, I doubt i'm ever in ketosis anymore. I eat a granola bar or SOMETHING that shouldn't be eaten everyday...hee hee
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 17:42

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormieaj
I have always felt it safe, but having naysayers around me, made me question it. I have gotten those ketone strips, and at times, i have registered a high count of ketones..extreme purple, but after expressing some breast milk onto the strip, it registers negative.

Are the strips valid for breastmilk? If they were developed for testing urine, it could be that all sorts of things in breastmilk might interfere with the reactions.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 19:15

BF:

they are designed for urine, although i've heard of pregnancy tests "sometimes" working with breastmilk.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 20:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

If I had the opportunity to re-live my preganancies and my days of breast-feeding, ketones would play a huge part in my babies' lives. I would have had some mighty-ass kids. Eventually your body will use ketones more efficiently. Ketosis may not be measurable at all once your body becomes adapted.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 22:02

BF:

black~i'm confused sorry. Might kids? Is that good or bad?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 09:41

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormieaj
Hi, I am new. I have a 10 mos. old I am still nursing through the night. She takes formula during the day when I am working.

I am convinced that your breastmilk has the same nutrional facts, no matter what you eat.

Ketones don't pass into breastmilk. First question I asked when I got hold of Dr Jack Newman.

In any case, an exclusively breastfed baby is in ketosis, as breastmilk is a high fat food....
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 14:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_meow
black~i'm confused sorry. Might kids? Is that good or bad?

I am confused by your confusion. I am betting that there is some censor issues going on. So my statement could be re-worded as "My kids would have been healthier and smarter if they had had more of a healthy low carb/ketogenic diet. THis is especially true of my son who is a"closeted" low carber. He is convinced that carbohydrates were THEE cause of his ADHD.

Last edited by black57 : Fri, Feb-05-10 at 20:30.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 15:30
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I breastfed my babies while low-carbing and never had any supply issues at all.