Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-14, 09:50

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
Thank you, Sereen. I appreciate it so much. I am not going to allow my kids to continue to be sick this way. IMO that's child neglect. If the parent isn't going to do something, who is?
Hear hear Glendora! I for one am cheering you on. I bet if you could get your son tested for his insulin level, it would be high all the time and so he's hungry all the time. And insulin resistant. And the high carb input does affect impulse control and emotions too.

There's a book about working with carb loving kids called "Little Sugar Addicts" that has lots of techniques and things to transform the family eating. It assumes that carb loving kids have carb loving parents, and even has what to do when dad is not on board (so common). There's a whole world of people in this situation. One caveat: last I read, the author doesn't advocate vlc, instead carb reduction including healthwholegrains, but the behavioral and biochemical talk is right on.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-14, 13:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
The hardest thing is getting him to stay away from a giant bowl of cereal. Though I made him eggs and ham this morning. He is already quieter than normal.

Look up some of the paleo recipes for "granola". Usually they're things like flaked coconut, nuts, etc. I made some over the weekend and I love it. Many of them use honey, but you could use a non-caloric sweetener.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-14, 13:43

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
I already limit him to one non-water drink per day. He drinks soy milk as he is lactose intolerant.
Have you looked at or tried almond milk or coconut milk. I would be very hesitant about giving soy milk to a pre-adolescent boy due to soy's estrogenic properties. Well I know this is a controversial topic among people. I'm one of those who goes to a doctor who feels "soy products of any sort are not a fit food for humans, especially of the male gender, except as a small condiment, like a splash of soy sauce". But even if you don't believe it why not try something else. I happen to think almond milk and coconut milk are far tastier than soy milk which is another consideration too.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-14, 11:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Have you looked at or tried almond milk or coconut milk. I would be very hesitant about giving soy milk to a pre-adolescent boy due to soy's estrogenic properties. Well I know this is a controversial topic among people. I'm one of those who goes to a doctor who feels "soy products of any sort are not a fit food for humans, especially of the male gender, except as a small condiment, like a splash of soy sauce". But even if you don't believe it why not try something else. I happen to think almond milk and coconut milk are far tastier than soy milk which is another consideration too.

We tried that first, and he prefers the soy. I suppose we could press the issue, but then almond or coconut milk would sit in the fridge until it went bad. That's something for hubs and I to think about though.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 05:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Extensive guest post on "Healthy Low Carb Kids".
Many suggestions for lunch box, meals, parties, eating out, etc.
Links to her recipes and kid lunchbox photos, etc.
So much information on the DitchTheCarbs website, and you can link to it all through this one post:

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-low-carb-kids/
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 08:26

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

This is a really hard issue. My middle child is in this category. She's 10 and always hungry and very big. Thing is, she eats the exact same food as the rest of us and my other children are thin, even maybe a little underweight (my oldest). We've been grain free and low carb for years. They certainly get junk from my mother but there are pretty serious limits on what that junk looks like. After severely curtailing any carbs at all earlier this year for all the kids due to a cavity scare (she's the only one who's had one), it didn't really make a difference at all except to drop my oldest's weight who didn't need to lose any at all. I don't actually care that much about her weight but she's kind of run down, has frequent stomach upset and just doesn't feel like a 10 year old should feel, with energy.

I'm at a loss now, frankly.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 12:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Has she had her thyroid checked out?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 13:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Question?
Have a lot of these children in the 7-10 yo age group who are gaining weight with no explanation been on repeated doses of antibiotics since they were young for either ear infections or strep throat?
Just wondering.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 14:35

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Question?
Have a lot of these children in the 7-10 yo age group who are gaining weight with no explanation been on repeated doses of antibiotics since they were young for either ear infections or strep throat?
Just wondering.

She's never been sick. I'm not even sure I remember a cold. She's never had ABX, ever. I'm totally stumped. Her dad was similar as a kid but she eats his diet now and it's been great for him. He was never obese as a kid, though.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-15, 10:15

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

what does she eat nowadays? amounts and timing of protein, fat, fiber/carbs?

My obese 8 yo grandson is hungry all the time but it can be explained by how much protein and starch he eats. His parents have not transformed the family diet the way you have. He had minimal antiobiotics but yes, regularly for ear infections.

But I'm wondering if your 10 year old has high insulin from something other than carbs. Protein, gut, inflammation,?
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-15, 11:50
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

You might want to see if you can get this book from your library or buy it from Amazon or a bookstore.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...e+addicted+kids

And give him lots of vitamin D3, between 5,000 and 15,000 IU/day.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-18, 08:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I will add my experience as it may help someone in the future, or maybe the OP will stop in.

I craved sweets as a kid. ANd later in life I found out why. I am low serotonin. Both my son and I are on the autism spectrum, and the low serotonin is fixed by seeking starchy- sweet foods as it triggers serotonin up tick. Thee days to keep my carbs low I use an OTC supplement recommended by Dr Daniel Amen in his book HEALING ADD, which is called 5 HTP. Tryptophan can be used too but 5HTP is much easier. I have recently added another he recommends called St Johns Wort. Now several weeks and months into this ( along with Magnesium citrate which replaced my magnesium oxide) I am calm when normally I would fly off the handle i a screaming rage. I can think instead of rage. A calmness rather than irritability that was...... irritating.

THank goodness for Dr AMens book which he wrote for the lay person to use when a good doctor cannot be found. I love that is covers many other aspects of the brain that can complicate ADD/ADHD. All doctors I have talked to about this give me the blank look like they suddenly became autistic and self absorbed. lol

I have learned more from Dr AMen than ALL resources combined. And he provides treatment options for everything. I highly recommend it as a basic book of knowledge as so many issues are rather common, and dr Amen really helped me recognize how to ID the situation and try OTC supplements for better function. AND I can see in others that they are suffering and just need the right supplement support to make life better.