Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 20:30

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 177/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default TTC First Baby, so excited

So husband and I have decided that it's time to have a kid. I've been spending the last week or so reading everything I can get my hands on, so I'm not freaking out later. I've visited every place in town that supplies baby stuff, checked out numerous websites. My favorite books so far are Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman, and The Survival Guide For Rookie Momsby Erica Wells & Lorraine Regel. The methods outlined in the first sound like how I was raised (mostly), and the survival guide is so hilarious that I find myself reading parts out loud to DH, and both of us laughing.

I've been losing some weight with a moderate low-carb, high fat grain free, low dairy diet. My carbs have been roughly 50 to 75 per day, and I eat a lot of leafy greens, so generally, I think I'm on the right track. My DH Is diabetic, but it's been under control with diet for a couple of years, mostly.

I guess my question is, what advice would you give to a first-time mom. Is there anything you would do different, what would you do the same? I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to about this yet, it's too exciting and new, and maybe heartbreaking.

Last edited by cndnrose : Thu, Oct-04-12 at 20:47. Reason: add stuff
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-13, 05:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

But yes, to the OP, its exciting, take care of yourself and dont get caught in the "eating for two" mantra and dont eat junk food. I only wish I'd been low carbing when I had mine!!!

Jo xxx

Last edited by Rosebud : Fri, Oct-04-13 at 05:31. Reason: Removing reply to spammer
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 06:54

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Good for you - I was also LC'ing to try to get in shape before pregnancy, but turns out I am pregnant already!
So as a first timer at this I have no advice for you other than to keep going with the lc that you're doing, to get yourself in the best shape for pregnancy. - I do feel a bit guilty that I'm an obese mum BMI 32, which stastically means that both baby and I are at increased risk of a few things, but I am fairly fit and healthy otherwise so I hope it'll be ok.

I've been taking folic acid every couple of days for the last few years just in case I got pregnant without realising. If you're not being very careful with contraception (as seems to happen once couples come around to the idea of kids soon) might be worth doing this also?

Exciting!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/146/133 Female 160
BF:33%
Progress: 28%

How exciting for you !

I have 3 mini-mes (at the moment) and will ideally be starting TTC for #4 in Summer 2014 - fingers crossed I will be within a healthy BMI (about 20lbs over weight at the moment) as I always have been when TTC for my others.

Ive been quite ill over the last year which has resulted in a pretty dramatic weight gain for me, so Im in the same boat as you (albeit I already have children) Hehehehe.

Keep us updated !