Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 20:51
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/199.2/145 Female  5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 8%

(If it's any comfort, I share your pain and bewilderment when your body suddenly decides to go nuts and leaves you staring at some strange old woman who hurts from the nerve level upwards and stares back at you from the mirror each day.) I don't know how to do the quotes yet because I am new to the board. But you hit the nail right on the head when you said that. It is exactally how I feel and you never know when it is going to hit you.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/199.2/145 Female  5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default exactally how I feel

(If it's any comfort, I share your pain and bewilderment when your body suddenly decides to go nuts and leaves you staring at some strange old woman who hurts from the nerve level upwards and stares back at you from the mirror each day.) I don't know how to do the quotes yet because I am new to the board. But you hit the nail right on the head when you said that. It is exactally how I feel and you never know when it is going to hit you.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 19:37

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

How are things going for you now? I"m dying to try and get my Mom who has fibro to go low carb. maybe I can get her to read this thread. Thanks for posting.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-11, 10:44
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Not sure people were already aware of this, but a study I read recently showed that although people with fibro might have normal b12 blood levels when tested, that they have incredibly low levels in the spinal fluid, similar to other disorders affecting the nervous system and brain. Also likely to have really high homocysteine levels which is bad.

I've just started supplementing with high dose sublingual b12 - methylcobalamin and also a high strength b complex. I expect it will take a while to get any effect (if any), but I thought it worth a try.

Lee
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 15:40

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Lets see,, get rid of the dairy, get rid of the red meat, get rid of the grains, and grain fed meats, and get rid of the nitrates, and exercise, give blood, and take enormous amounts of B 12 and B's. Take D3 ....

I take D3 50,000 a week, I take B's, I take Mag, I eat cheese 1 oz a day, I give up flax and grains for long periods, It doesn't do a thing. I cut out red meat yrs ago, and ate fish and chicken, it did nothing for the pain. I ate nitrate free, and that did nothing..

I think Fibromyalgia is a Name for unexplained Pain. The Lack of testing to find the real reason for Pain is not a interest to most Doctors.
I would love to be able to have the money to afford Organic everything.
If I cut out the meat and dairy, and only eat veggies, I would be losing muscle and what good would that be.

I feel us Fibro suffer's are always in a rut one way or the other.

I am happy it was just foods, or vitamins that helped so many of you...
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 16:47
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

It is not properly researched, but the fact that certain measurable features are similar to other neurological/autoimmune conditions is a starting point (even though they can't fix those conditions either). I'd rather be told that yes I have this thing, we don't know how to fix it, than this thing is all in your head. I suspect that eventually fibromylgia will be acknowledged as being a type of autoimmune condition, in the same way ms is. A condition that affects the nervous system, but in a different (and less destructive) way to ms - causing pain, where there should be none due to dysfunction in the transmission of nerve impulses.

And personally, I'll try anything to help the condition - I've just been started on morphine and anything I can do not to have to take these types of medications I will do. Some things do seem to help, but nothing I've tried is curative yet.

But there is good evidence that strict paleo eating can help in some cases of autoimmune disease - though it sometimes takes time to see the results, often many months. Good supplementation is important to everyone regardless of health issues. There's nothing wrong with trying to optimise physical condition as much as possible.

And with b vitmains and b12 you need to be taking the right ones, in the right way - apparently. Though injectable b12 is supposed to be best, but as I can't get that without prescription in the UK, I'm taking sublingual instead. We'll see if it has any effect.

Lee
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 17:32

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 245/242/145 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I also have fibromyalgia. It really sucks. I have been going through a major flare lately. The pain is a horrible burning pain and it's all over. Even my skin burns and is extremely sensitive. My feet are the worst. My muscles ache, too, so I can't do much of anything. My doctor wants me to get an EMG. I had one 3 yrs ago but it showed I didn't have nerve damage.

I've been doing Dr. St. Amand's guiafenesin protocol for a couple of years now. Maybe I'm not doing it right or my dose is not high enough, but I'm not getting any better, only worse. I take a lot of vitamins I'm taking a lot of meds: Percocet, Lyrica, Lexapro, Flexeril, Ambien, Trazadone. Now he wants me to add Lamictal. I'm not sure I want to do this, but I can't function at all.

I have been doing Atkins, though not very successfully. I lost 11 lbs and have now gained back all but 3. I am thinking about going on CAD because it seems I need some carbs or I feel very deprived.

I usually start to feel better in the spring, but not this time. Sorry to be depressing, but I am depressed:*( Anyway, if you find a miracle cure please let me know!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 18:00
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
I'm 44. This last year I've been experiencing the worst health of my life.
I've been LCing for 3 years now.
I recently had tests done (I don't go to the doctor regularly) but finally decided enough is enough.

My thyroid is good.
I don't have diabetes.
I was tested for Hemochromatosis (a genetic disease that my dad was recently diagnosed with) my iron was at 34 (30 is ideal)
I don't have MS.

Apparently I AM menopausal.
Yet the pain I'm experiencing 24/7 is going to be treated as fibro.

For the next 3 weeks I'm taking 2 Advil in the morning and 2 at night *anti inflammatory*
If this doesn't present some sort of relief, my doc says well go a step up...
I'm to check in with a report in 3 weeks.

I'm curious about how other's here are treating these symptoms.

I'm a serious LCer, and focused on high alkaline foods.

My supplements are;
300 mg Mag
1000 mg borage oil
650 cal
B-100, once/day
3,000 IU D3
3-6-9 essentials - 2/day
and now starting Femal to alleviate symptoms associated with menopause.

I'm struggling to deduce what my condition is. Meno/fibro?? The timing is very confusing concerning my diagnosis.

I appreciate any feedback. I don't want to rush into prescription meds.
I do need to get my quality of life back.

I am menopausal and was diagnosed with fibro a couple years ago. I hate taking NSAIDS with all the inherent side effects from long-term use. ONE of the many reasons I went on LC and started taking supplements.

At my current weight:
PRESCRIPTION:
Humira Pen 40mg/.8 cc (once every two weeks - Fri) Last Dose 4/24/2011 (For Psoriatic Arthritis; autoimmune disorder. It also helps with the fibromyalgia. Didn't experience full pain relief until I started taking supplements.)
Methotrexate 15 mg (2.5 mg tablets) once a week (Fri) Last Dose 4/24/2011 (For Plaque and Pustular Psoriasis; autoimmune disorder)
Folic Acid 1000 µg tablet 6 days a week (Sat-Thu) Last Dose 4/25/2011 (offset methotrexate)

SUPPLEMENTS (taken daily):
Biotin 2500 µg gelcap x3 / day
Chromium 350 µg tablet x1 / day
Cinnamon 500 mg capsule x1 / day
Fenugreek 610 mg capsule x1 / day
Glocosamine crystals 1 scoop x1 / day (added in food)
Lugol's 5% iodine solution 1 drop / day
Magnesium Citrate powder (400 mg Mg2+ per tsp; 1.4 tsp per day ~ current BW of 108Kg (5 mg/Kg)) Actual intake: est. 540 mg x1 / day
MSM crystals 1/2 Tbsp x4 / day (2 Tbsp total dispersed in bottles of water)*
Red Yeast Rice 600 mg capsule x1 / day
SAMe x1 / day
Salmon Oil 1000 mg gelcap x3 / day
Vitamin B12 500 µg spray x1 / day
Vitamin C 500 mg caplet x3 / day
Vitamin D3 2000 IU gelcap x5 / day
Zinc 50 mg tablet x1 / day

Melatonin 5 mg tablet x3 / night
Valerian root 3 or 4 caplets at bedtime as needed to sleep
Zyrtech at bedtime for allergies

Of all the medications and supplements I'm taking I actually gain the most relief from *MSM. I haven't taken NSAIDS in MONTHS!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 02:33

Plan: Eat Fat Get thin
Stats: 200/170/140 Female 5f6
BF:
Progress:

Hi

I would increase the magnesium (Dr Mercola advises you can go as much as 1g per day) and decrease calcium (calcium should be half of Magnesium).

Also The best magnesiums are Magnesium Citrate (more easily absorbed by the body) and magnesium oil (transdermal magnesium).

I also take vitamin D and Vitamin K.

Mu husband used to suffer from ME and swears by Urine Therapy (The Golden Fountain or The Water of life are good books to read) - I have to say he is now the picture of health!!!! I still need to make the jump :-) and test to see if it works with Fibro ....

Good Luck!

Muriel