Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 22:20
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Fibromyalgia

I'm 44. This last year I've been experiencing the worst health of my life.
I've been LCing for 3 years now.
I recently had tests done (I don't go to the doctor regularly) but finally decided enough is enough.

My thyroid is good.
I don't have diabetes.
I was tested for Hemochromatosis (a genetic disease that my dad was recently diagnosed with) my iron was at 34 (30 is ideal)
I don't have MS.

Apparently I AM menopausal.
Yet the pain I'm experiencing 24/7 is going to be treated as fibro.

For the next 3 weeks I'm taking 2 Advil in the morning and 2 at night *anti inflammatory*
If this doesn't present some sort of relief, my doc says well go a step up...
I'm to check in with a report in 3 weeks.

I'm curious about how other's here are treating these symptoms.

I'm a serious LCer, and focused on high alkaline foods.

My supplements are;
300 mg Mag
1000 mg borage oil
650 cal
B-100, once/day
3,000 IU D3
3-6-9 essentials - 2/day
and now starting Femal to alleviate symptoms associated with menopause.

I'm struggling to deduce what my condition is. Meno/fibro?? The timing is very confusing concerning my diagnosis.

I appreciate any feedback. I don't want to rush into prescription meds.
I do need to get my quality of life back.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 01:03

Plan: PP/Atkins/IF Maintenance
Stats: 195/138/140 Female 66"
BF:33%/20%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
I'm 44. This last year I've been experiencing the worst health of my life.
I've been LCing for 3 years now.
I recently had tests done (I don't go to the doctor regularly) but finally decided enough is enough.

My thyroid is good.
I don't have diabetes.
I was tested for Hemochromatosis (a genetic disease that my dad was recently diagnosed with) my iron was at 34 (30 is ideal)
I don't have MS.

Apparently I AM menopausal.
Yet the pain I'm experiencing 24/7 is going to be treated as fibro.

For the next 3 weeks I'm taking 2 Advil in the morning and 2 at night *anti inflammatory*
If this doesn't present some sort of relief, my doc says well go a step up...
I'm to check in with a report in 3 weeks.

I'm curious about how other's here are treating these symptoms.

I'm a serious LCer, and focused on high alkaline foods.

My supplements are;
300 mg Mag
1000 mg borage oil
650 cal
B-100, once/day
3,000 IU D3
3-6-9 essentials - 2/day
and now starting Femal to alleviate symptoms associated with menopause.

I'm struggling to deduce what my condition is. Meno/fibro?? The timing is very confusing concerning my diagnosis.

I appreciate any feedback. I don't want to rush into prescription meds.
I do need to get my quality of life back.

First I see from your profile that you've read Protein Power LifePlan, the Drs. Eades cover all of this stuff and so much more in that book (which isn't just about low carb weight loss but low carb total health).

For your iron which is a bit high, unless there is a reason you can't donate blood, do so. That is a great way to help you and possibly save a life in the process.

I used to suffer badly from fibro myself and can feel your pain, well remember it anyway. Do you eat grains of any kind? If so stop, especially wheat and corn or anything from them like maltodextrin (from corn) which is in a lot of low carb products including powdered splenda and diet jello. Grains cause "leaky gut" which leads to autoimmune problems.

Thirdly your post is making me think that you are taking in too much omega 6 vs omega 3 and yes it is possible to do this even when low carb. Do you eat products like mayo and dressings that have soybean oil in them (high in omega 6)? Grain fed cattle, again their meat will be high in omega 6. Vegetable oils at all....omega 6. Omega 6 though an EFA and we do need some, Americans tend to take in way too much and omega 6 produces the bad eicosanoids that cause things like pain and inflammation. Increasing Omega 3 isn't enough, you must also decrease Omega 6 by cutting out things like soybean (which about 70% of is trans fat whether it states partially hydrogenated on the label or not) oil and other veggie oils as well as opting for grass fed beef vs. grain fed (yes more expensive but worth it).

To up your omega 3 the best way is with sardines (preferably in sardine oil if you can ever find it, otherwise olive oil or spring water). Cod liver oil (just make sure it doesn't go rancid--The Eades cover that). These are both pure sources of DHA and EPA which produces the good eicosanoids. Other really good sources (of ALA--which will produce EPA and DHA if all is working well) are flax seeds and flax oil.

Again, I can not recommend this one book enough for what you are describing and would advise you to re-read it and follow it. It helped me tremendously.

Last edited by lowcrbgirl : Thu, Aug-13-09 at 01:10.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 08:26

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

feelskinny, can you decribe the pain?

Having fibro and having gone through perimenopause, i'm wondering if I can differentiate what you describe.

Also, have you thought that you might be allergic to something you're eating? I've had all the tests done and came up with nothing, yet found when I simply eliminated all grain and dairy, my pain level became so much better.

Re; perimenopause...do you also have these symptoms? forgetfulness, ngith sweats, sleeplessness and irritablity. It seems irrational for your doctor to think you'd have this pain that is from meno, yet have no other symptoms of it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 14:35
AntiSAD

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
feelskinny, can you decribe the pain?

It varies from day/day, but is ever present. A deep burning in my major muscle groups with pangs of sharp shooting pain. The best way to put it is it feels like a bad case of the flu.

I've been doing a lot of dietary tweaking the last few months and have for several years now been avoiding gluten/grains. I've recently been focusing on a high alkaline diet. The only thing that I'm struggling with giving up now, is cheese - but that's been axed in order to find out if there's something there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
Re; perimenopause...do you also have these symptoms? forgetfulness, ngith sweats, sleeplessness and irritablity. It seems irrational for your doctor to think you'd have this pain that is from meno, yet have no other symptoms of it

I have all the above mentioned symptoms, which have been increasing for about a year now.

Nancy: My iron level was at 33 - 30 being ideal. I've never donated blood before but plan to start as it's an easy way to keep the numbers down. It was good to find out I don't have the alarmingly high iron levels my dad does, but the symtoms sure got me thinking.

Last edited by feelskinny : Thu, Aug-13-09 at 14:40.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 14:46
AntiSAD

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcrbgirl
Thirdly your post is making me think that you are taking in too much omega 6 vs omega 3 and yes it is possible to do this even when low carb. Do you eat products like mayo and dressings that have soybean oil in them (high in omega 6)? Grain fed cattle, again their meat will be high in omega 6. Vegetable oils at all....omega 6. Omega 6 though an EFA and we do need some, Americans tend to take in way too much and omega 6 produces the bad eicosanoids that cause things like pain and inflammation. Increasing Omega 3 isn't enough, you must also decrease Omega 6 by cutting out things like soybean (which about 70% of is trans fat whether it states partially hydrogenated on the label or not) oil and other veggie oils as well as opting for grass fed beef vs. grain fed (yes more expensive but worth it).

To up your omega 3 the best way is with sardines (preferably in sardine oil if you can ever find it, otherwise olive oil or spring water). Cod liver oil (just make sure it doesn't go rancid--The Eades cover that). These are both pure sources of DHA and EPA which produces the good eicosanoids. Other really good sources (of ALA--which will produce EPA and DHA if all is working well) are flax seeds and flax oil.

Interesting. And a good reminder about flax oil, which I've forgoten to incl in my sups for many months now...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 10:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm sorry you feel so lousy! Can you give some blood to get your iron count down?

You've reviewed the symptoms for Hemochromatosis? Do any of them fit?
Quote:
What are the symptoms of hemochromatosis?

Joint pain is the most common complaint of people with hemochromatosis. Other common symptoms include fatigue, lack of energy, abdominal pain, loss of sex drive, and heart problems. However, many people have no symptoms when they are diagnosed.

If the disease is not detected and treated early, iron may accumulate in body tissues and eventually lead to serious problems such as

* arthritis
* liver disease, including an enlarged liver, cirrhosis, cancer, and liver failure
* damage to the pancreas, possibly causing diabetes
* heart abnormalities, such as irregular heart rhythms or congestive heart failure
* impotence
* early menopause
* abnormal pigmentation of the skin, making it look gray or bronze
* thyroid deficiency
* damage to the adrenal glands

For anyone feeling like they might have some sort of autoimmune issues going on, I'd really recommend a trial of Paleo diet. It really can help. It sure helped me out.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-10, 23:51

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm sorry I don't have anything to add... except that LC has always reduced inflamation and helped my pain levels.

If it's any comfort, I share your pain and bewilderment when your body suddenly decides to go nuts and leaves you staring at some strange old woman who hurts from the nerve level upwards and stares back at you from the mirror each day.

Many have had good results with increased exercise and OTC estrogen cream for the menopause symptoms.

My prayers are with you.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-10, 08:28

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

What is your Vitamin D level? Also did you have Free T4, Free T3 and TPO Antibodies testing for the thyroid done? TSH is not correct testing on it's own and is not even produced by the thyroid but the pituitary.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 20:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/135 Female 5"5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hey, do a search

I made a long post about how I got rid of my Fibro.
look at the post here called: Guaifenisen: the good the bad and the ugly.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-10, 07:18
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Feelskinny, I can really relate. I have similar problems with pain (muscle and joint), fatigue, bladder issues, digestive problems, depression, balance problems, peripheral neuropathy, cognitive problems and recently swallowing difficulties.

I think getting diagnoses for these types of symptoms is difficult for most people, even more so with a weight problem - a rheumatologist refused to diagnose or treat me because he said it might interfere with my attempts to lose weight

So far I have managed to get some diagnoses but only by perservering and doing my own research and then requesting tests.

At the moment from perserverance, I have been diagnosed with celiac and interstitial cystitis, which means I have managed to reduce the digestive and bladder symptoms. I am continuing to work on finding out what might be causing the other problems.

Anyway, my point was, don't give up, keep pushing at your doctor, keep a diary of symptoms on the computer, print it out and give it the doc at each appointment, include a pain scale so that the doc can see how the painkillers work and what sort of activity causes pain and at what level.

Let us know how things are going for you.

Lee
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 10:38

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:

Two weeks ago I decided nothing was working for my deep sharp pains. I have read in several places about red meat being inflamatory. I stopped the red meat and now my pain is gone! I had tried stopping wheat and all grains but the pain continued. I still continue with low carb, but will not be able to eat my favorite- BEEF! I will say, that I know,eventually I will again try a rib eye. I for one was eating A LOT of red meat. The key may be "every now and then".
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 08:30
Registered Member

Plan: MWL
Stats: 196.6/171.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram
Two weeks ago I decided nothing was working for my deep sharp pains. I have read in several places about red meat being inflamatory. I stopped the red meat and now my pain is gone! I had tried stopping wheat and all grains but the pain continued. I still continue with low carb, but will not be able to eat my favorite- BEEF! I will say, that I know,eventually I will again try a rib eye. I for one was eating A LOT of red meat. The key may be "every now and then".

Congratulations to you for finding a major culprit! And for admitting it to yourself even though you love red meat.

I know the feeling. I allow myself one big, juicy steak each week. I try to keep the red meat to a minimum, as you can see, but man do I look forward to that steak! Perhaps you could detox yourself from it for awhile, and then gradually reintroduce it once a week and see what happens?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 12:24

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw
Congratulations to you for finding a major culprit! And for admitting it to yourself even though you love red meat.

I know the feeling. I allow myself one big, juicy steak each week. I try to keep the red meat to a minimum, as you can see, but man do I look forward to that steak! Perhaps you could detox yourself from it for awhile, and then gradually reintroduce it once a week and see what happens?

Yes, I plan on having steak once in awhile. I'll just be prepared for the pain and have the ibuprophen ready>
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 10:28

Plan: Aspiring Paleo
Stats: 144/136/127 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Everyone here has given some great advice. I can only add what worked for me and this is absolutely no gluten and very little in the ways of grains, and little or no dairy. Cutting out gluten AND dairy made a huge difference for me. And, as I recently fell off the wagon and indulged in both, I am dealing with the fallout.

I hope you find some relief from the pain.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/199.2/145 Female  5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 8%

I just got thru reading about the fibromyalgia. The best way I can explain the pain is like holding onto electric fence for hours a day. I have tried every thing I know to ease the pain and the fibro fog which is worse than the pain. I am hoping going back on lc will help. It seems to be helping after the forth day finally. The first few days were hell but this morning I woke up like in a new world. I actually drove into town which is 35 miles away today for the first time in over a year. I called my husband and told him I was going to go shopping and he asked who I was going with and I said by myself. He was worried but said Mama if you think you can do it go for it but make sure you have your cell phone. I could not believe I actually went to Walmart and spent two hours in there just checking things out. It is now 8:30 and still feeling good except for the small hum in my body. Maybe in few days it will all be gone. I think all the sugar and carbs and junk in my body was making it worse and since I am doing clean induction to get rid off all the bad things in my body it maybe my answer. Maybe in few weeks I will actually be back to the happy do everything herself Debbie like I use to be. I am going to reread some of the post again and see if there is anything else I need to take out of my diet. I am to young to be sitting here getting fatter and crocheting and quilting my life away. I am just 53. I am sure that is old to some of y'all lol. I actually followed my granddaughter (she is 7) up and down the oil top while she was riding her bike. She asked me where my cane was and I said actually Nana doesn't need it to day and she gave me a big ole toothless grin. I am hoping by summer we can take bike rides together like we use to. I even walked my horse yesterday and hopefully be able to saddle her and ride again. Sorry for the ramble. I didn't mean to make this so long but it feels so good to feel so good and not having to go to bed smelling like bengay.