Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 11:03

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 155/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default vacation in the Arctic

Hi everyone, I have not been on here much lately. My sister & brother in law are now also strictly Paleo!!!

I just got back from a 3 week vacation in the Arctic, Northwest Territories, Canada. WOW, what great fresh reindeer meat that I had while there.

I camped out with the reindeer herders & drove a snowmobile out to the herd. The herder shot a reindeer & skinned & cut it up & loaded it on the sled and we went back to camp. They let me do all the cooking !! I made all Paleo meals!! The fresh reindeer meat was heavenly.

The Inuit reindeer herder hung the belly fat layer on a stick in the cabin near the stove. The fat dried, he folded it up & put it in a bag & he eats it like candy!!

The Canadian Reindeer Herd owned by Lloyd Binder is the most organic uncontaminated meat source in the world!! The reindeer only eat the moss that they dig through the snow to find. & there is no medications given to them and there are no chemicals used in the area!

Most of the Binder family are Gluten Free now - working on Paleo. Well they eat a lot of reindeer meat for sure!! & Plenty of fresh fish also!!!

If anyone is interested in being a dude herder in the Spring or Fall or just camping out with the reindeer herders, let me know & I can see about getting you scheduled. I can guarantee you plenty of Paleo and Gluten Free meals. They will even put you on the plane home with a Paleo lunch!!!
jeannine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 11:05

Plan: Atkins, Keto
Stats: 220/220/130 Female 63"
BF:

wow it sounds like you had a great time! do you have any pics to share? i bet it was lovely there!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 11:15

BF:

It was the vacation of a lifetime. No pics yet, but the area was very gorgeous!! I rode down the MacKenzie River Ice Road - talk about gorgeous! It was a dry cold there. Although I live in Houston, Texas & never see snow, the cold did not bother me at all. The herder was amazed that I did so well with the cold weather. & I was only drinking ice & ice water. From the frozen river. When you are in the cold it keeps you warmer to eat cold foods & drink. & I think my Paleo diet (well & my Saami genes from Northern Norway) was a key to staying warm. I was dressed properly & at zero to minus 15 degrees I was toasty on a snowmobile trip!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 11:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

That sounds amazing! How did you end up going there?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 13:51

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I chime in with Nancy! Tell us how you found this amazing adventure! I'm so happy for you that it worked out so well! Really cool experience.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 21:20

BF:

I was invited by the herd owner whose mother is Saami & I had her DNA done through Family Tree DNA where I am the Admin person for the Saami DNA group. Plus I am working with the family on their diet. The Saami just cannot eat grains or dairy. There was already a person in their family diagnosed with celiac.

He has not had any tourist business there & I am now working on getting business cards, bumper stickers, patches, etc for him. I am going to serve as his tour agent in the South!!! We Texans love snow!!

He can handle two campers in the Spring season - guide, snowmobile and camping out with the reindeer herders - all rustic & not "touristy". In the Fall season he can handle two guests as dude herders for about 3 days, a very privileged time as they move the herd from the summer grounds across the frozen MacKenzie River to the winter pastures. Other fall times would be just as campers.

I think it would be a great adventure for some of us that have diet issues & normally would not be catered to on a camping trip like this. At the age of 65 & never having been on a snowmobile before, I even made the 30 miles one way to the winter cabin!! & back !!

so if you know anyone that wants a "one of a kind" experience in the Canadian Arctic just let me know!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 23:33

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpaperdol
We Texans love snow!!

uuummm....NOT! Can't stand the cold or the snow.

That said, I've been very intrigued about your adventures and how you came about them. Sounds like you have experienced the trip of a lifetime and I am very envious (even though mine would be different and NOT include snow).

Very excited for you and your experience gives me hope that it's not too late for me to have my own adventures!

Are you going to go back?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Absolutely amazing!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-12, 10:21

BF:

Yes, I am going back in August for berry picking & fishing!!!
I am excited about the berry picking & I love to fish but I will miss the snow!!
I will be going back next spring & cooking in town & sending their food with them to the camp, for a couple of campers that are GF.