Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 23:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/153/150 Male 5' 6"
BF:26%/21%/15%
Progress: 88%
Question High School Diet trends

I was wondering what were the diet trends in the high schools today?

Obviously if your on this site your into LC, but do you notice that LC is a big thing in HS too?
Are teens jumping on the LC bandwagon?

What is the schools reaction to the LC trend?
Have they made any accommodations with the food that is provided for school lunches?

Ken
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 05:20

Stats: 196/189/145
BF:Too Much :)
Progress: 14%
Default Yeah..

A lot of people in my high school are starting to LC. I am on the colorguard at my high school and most all of the girls on guard that need to drop some pounds have started LCing! I know a few other people have done the Weight Watchers thing... But those are the main two that I've really heard of going around...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 22:07
Registered Member

Stats: 171/104/103 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 99%

A bunch of my sister's friends (14 y/o's) have started low carbing. One of them isn't doing it to lose weight, but because her mother decided the whole family needed to eat healthy. The others are just average sized girls trying to lose weight. Personally, I think they're too young to worry about their weight, let alone do Atkins induction!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 09:14

Plan: LC
Stats: 190/184/150 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Talking At my High School....

At my highschool, I dont know of any one but a myself LCing. I know alot of girls on diet pills, or just plain not eating. There are a couple of girls on weight watchers and I know a guy who has just cut back on his food and drinking more water.
I hear alot of kids talk about their parents LCing, though. I had a couple of teachers LCing too.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 15:41

Stats: 271/226.5/190 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 55%

I've only seen one other girl that goes to my school on the LC diet... and really all the food in the school is high carb, except for the salads. So for the past 4 months.. it's the same salad EVERYDAY.

Either kids don't care... or they don;t have to worry about their weight
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 18:40

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

My daughter was doing LC for a while (14 yo) and she was getting lots of funny looks at school - I think that's the main reason she stopped. School lunches, by and large, SUCK.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 12:40
Registered Member

Plan: zone, aitkins
Stats: 145/135/118 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I too started "dieting" at a young age (12) i am now 18 i was never overweight I weighed 123 most of my life. The constant dieting and even LCing caused me a eating disorder I needed something balanced So i tried zone. It has helped so much with binging because on the zone you cant. I think that gluttony is an issue in atkins. Just a tip of advice dont start early......my life has been surrounded by dieticans and doctors Watch what you eat by all means no overindulge but draw the line when it takes over your life.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 17:13

Stats: 145/145/123 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

i'm in high school and have two close friends that have had amazing results w/ the Atkins diet - one lost 30 pounds in 2 months, one 22 in 1 month. They're one of the main reasons I'm decidig to adapt to this WOL and they'll be my main inspirations through the program
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 18:26

Stats: 260/234.5/180 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 32%

Senior in HS at the moment. I know a couple people who do LC diets, one with real success, 50 lb. gone. Everyone in my class knows I am LCing, and are all supportive of it, even a couple teachers know. No one at school has beef with the diet, they don't go around mocking it or anything. It's good to have support when you need it, the compliments are a bonus.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 11:41

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 395/380/165 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%

There are many diet trends at my school except for diet pills and eating disorders such as bulimia. I know a couple of people LCing but other than that, you don't see many people trying to lose weight.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 240/202/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Im in high school and my two best friends have LCed before and lost a lot of weight. I started LCing after talking to people online and after I found out a couple years ago my friends lost a good amount of weight from it.