Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Oldie here - back to try again!

Hi everyone!

I'm back... just thought I'd say hi!

My name is Dawn, and I'm in Scotland. In 2002, I stated LC'ing and did quite well - I lost 20 lbs and finally got over a chocolate addiction. Unfortunately, I didn't stay on course and slipped back into old habits. I think my real downfall was that I did a lot of travelling from 2003/2004, and staying LC proved to be really complicated. I got pregnant later that year, and had a beautiful baby son in 2005.

Before I got pregnant, my weight was 168. He's now 20 months old, and while I got back down to my pre-pregnancy weight, I've crept up and am now sitting at 180. But what concerns me most is that I've developed some seriously bad eating issues - I've been binge eating since just after my son was born. While I haven't had any true bulimic episodes, it's been in the front of my mind for a long time. The last time I had the flu, after I was sick my first thought was "oh, I don't feel well", but it was "oh, well, I guess I'm off the hook for everything I've eaten today". Not healthy.

So, before Christmas, I tried Weight Watchers again, as I had been spending a lot of time with my in-laws (we recently moved nearer to them) and my MIL is on and off it all the time. They've never really understood low-carb and I'm expecting some hassles about it this time around. Anyway, WW didn't work out for me - I'd fall off the wagon on a fairly regular basis. So, here I am. I remember that when I was LC'ing a few years ago, I didn't have that obsession about food - I wasn't dreaming about it, and I didn't think about it all the time. I'd like to get back to that, so I'm trying again.

When I first started LC'ing, there were only a few LC items available in the shops here, and then there was that huge rise in popularity and I remember seeing LC pasta in Tescos! There seems to be a bit of a backlash, however as none of those things are around anymore. I guess I missed the boat. Oh well - there's always chicken!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and spending some more time here. I met some great low-carbers (hi Little Anne!) at a lunch that was held in London (I think in February 2004) and it was great to find such a great supportive group of people.

I've just read through all my old posts, and I want to get that enthusiasm back again. I really want to make some changes in my life.

Wish me luck!!!

Last edited by Dawn Renee : Tue, Jan-30-07 at 13:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 13:44

Plan: Atkins(maintenance)
Stats: 154/128/128 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome back Dawn. You are right about the Low carb products in the UK. I started this WOE in 2003 and there was plenty of choice. Now your best bet is Boots who sell Atkins bars and a few of their own. Of course, you can manage without any LC products and just eat the natural stuff that we should be having anyway.
Good luck and stick with it and visit us regularly on this site.

Nicola
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 14:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Thanks, Nicola!

I know, natural food is best. But the odd treat was nice. And I have to admit that being able to buy Atkins bars at the Boots at Heathrow and Gatwick airports saved me quite a few times when I was rushing to catch a flight (not much option for a LC dinner in an airport!)

I'm a bit nervous about dealing with my inlaws about this - as my husband is away a lot, we usually go there for dinner a few times a week. We are due there tomorrow, so I'll have to bring some "back up" food just in case. Neither of them can conceptualise why I can eat cream but not drink milk and trying to explain it just makes me crazy.

I'm expecting to feel terrible tomorrow - it's that migraine-inducing "day 2" syndrome from when I can get into ketosis... I usually feel pretty hideous. I'm not looking forward to it, but by Thursday I should feel good again.

Anyway, I have to go eat a few vegetables... I'm a bit low on greens today (so far, just eggs and bacon for breakfast, and baked chicken for lunch), so I'm off to make brussels sprouts to go with my dinner chicken
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 15:02

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

Welcome back Dawn! I just recently came back "home" as well.

Cissie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 13:30

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%

Me, too. I used to post a lot more then got away from it (and gained weight, naturally...) but am now back and grimly determined. Or something.