Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 08:52

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

I was out of town this weekend visiting family and seems like all I could hear was about how skinny I was. They couldn't believe I was eating so much. We had gone to lunch where there was a breakfast bar and a huge salad bar. I pigged out on both (legal stuff only) and all I could get was stares and dropped mouths.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i went through a bad patch with my family. They where upset that I was ( 5'4") and 114lbs amd thought I had an eating disorder. They kept telling me I should be 125 lbs. The bad part was with my husband. Although he eventually accepted it, it bothered him for a long time. It was for him I went on the Atkins diet to begin with! He went on it also and went from 210 lbs to 178bls. The gym helped a lot and kept my curves even after being skinny.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 09:40

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

I found this thread extremely helpful... I am going through a lot of this same stuff right now. I am finally at my goal weight, don't want to lose another pound (even though my body seems to want to keep going!! lol) Yesterday, a friend out-of-state saw a picture of me and told me that i needed to "eat a cheeseburger with the bun." i'm getting such mixed reactions... most of them great though. now that it's spring and i can go outside in less than my snowboots and jacket, everyone is seeing the change i underwent from december to now. it's so encouraging to have people tell me that i look great. it makes me never want to go off this WOE... it's completely changed my self-esteem and confidence.

But I do need to stop losing weight. I don't want to be too skinny. I am broad-shouldered and I do not have such a small frame... I think anything less than this would look sickly on my frame.

My question is: did all of you guys go through the OWL process? Or when you reached goal did you go right into maintenance? Because I stayed on induction the whole time, and now am afraid to add back too many carbs. Help!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 16:39

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:

Hi folks

I am not yet skinny, but I did come back from a tour of Europe some time ago at 97lbs, which sits around 18 or 19 on the BMI (just underweight).

Were alot of you quite thin when you were young? I can't imagine being around 105 lbs, even though it is perfectly within my range, and would almost make me "Skinny".

Have you reached "skinny" before? Is being overweight just a short term thing for you, or a constant battle?

I dunno if I want to be skinny again, because I like to have some meat on me , but I wondered what you think.

Thanks
M
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:35

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Unhappy

el123

I had to fight to gain weight after the big fall. I went down to 109lbs and would have kept on going down had I not put on the breaks. Ensure plus and an incrase in carbs helped. I looked BAD being that skinny. I am 5'4" with a T shape body. I always had a small waist and slim hips even when I was heavy. All my weight was in my tummy (like a man!) Being skinny started to make me look unattractive. With my wide shoulders, I felt like a linebacker (a skinny one). Being skinny is murder on the face. Nothing is worse then a skinny face. You look a good ten years older and like you have been crawling out in the desert. The gym helped a lot to firm me up (no more loose skin) I have been between 111 lbs and 114 lbs (my heaviest) for over four years now. I must admit it feels good wearing size 4 and 2's. The funny thing is that now I find it hard finding my size. Suddently eveything is size 14 and twelve and plus size Very weird.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:02

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

I am just scared... I have been maintaining for only a little while now. But I just feel like at any moment I could gain weight. I already feel like I have. Tomorrow's my weigh date, so we'll see if the scale is up, or if it's all in my head (which it tends to be... once i thought i had gained weight and i had actually lost 3 pounds).
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 11:58

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

My wife is a naturally (very) small boned thin person, 5'1" at 99 lbs. She needed to get over 100 to get pregnant, so being under 100 probably is too thin for her.

Self image is funny thing when it comes to your weight. I always thought I looked fat in pictures of myself. The first time I saw a picture of myself at my new low weight - I was blown away by how thin I looked. Of course, photos are just the same as everyone else sees you.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 20:20

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Itty,
i've been overweight since i was born! I also dropped to about 97 lb and no, it was not fun. I'm at 109 lb right now and feel "fat" but am working on gettin used to having this much body mass because "skinny" just is not worth it-- it's just hard because being overweight for most of my life, i just have idolized skinny as a good thing. Changing this mentality and realizing that having some meat/fat is ok (maybe even more attractive) is really hard, but the best thing in the long run.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 21:14

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

Wow- i'm going through the exact same thing.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-12, 16:52

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Bumping this thread for anyone else dealing with this issue.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-12, 17:30

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I also think that womens thoughts on whats slender and normal is altered when they are heavy.

4 yrs ago, I lost a lot of weight and got to 160lbs, I'm 5'10". I still had a lot of fat on me, so I had planned on going to 150 and seeing if I liked that better. My family would not let it go, my mother called me anorexic, everywhere I turned they were trying to feed me. Most of my family is heavy and I think that alters their thoughts on weights.

Now that I'm back to 170lbs and working on my goal of 150lbs, I don't see the slim women as anorexic any more. I don't frown when I see a slender woman or wish she would eat more. My perception has changed with my weght also.

I would go with what feels good to you. If you like what you see in the mirror, then thats what matters. It hurts when its from family, but be upfront, I'm refered to as bitchy, but when someone starts in I tell then what I think and am quick about it. It tends to stop the harrasment and a normal convo can be carried on.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-12, 02:01

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

I get told I look too thin all of the time, but people have been telling me this since I was 160 pounds at 5'4". Now, I'm 135 pounds it's even worse. My BMI is healthy. My body fat % is considered .7% too high to be in the fitness range.

My sister in law is the same size as I am and she gets the same reaction. She says that we're just too thin for Nebraska. There are a lot of overweight and obese people here compared to other places.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-12, 06:39

BF:

Quote:
we're just too thin for Nebraska

Is that like "Corn fed Iowa girls?" They can screw their visions of keeping everyone heavy so they feel better about themselves. I'm from Iowa but I stopped eating the damb corn and I'm going to be slender. We feed corn to livestock to fatten them up, why the heck should we eat the stuff?

Loose the weight/stay at your present weight, what ever makes you happy. Tell the nay-sayers to shut there mouths and leave you alone. I've heard the crap myself in the past and it hurts but its not them that wears your weight.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-12, 07:00

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraTea
I get told I look too thin all of the time, but people have been telling me this since I was 160 pounds at 5'4". Now, I'm 135 pounds it's even worse. My BMI is healthy. My body fat % is considered .7% too high to be in the fitness range.

My sister in law is the same size as I am and she gets the same reaction. She says that we're just too thin for Nebraska. There are a lot of overweight and obese people here compared to other places.
It's not just in Nebraska that this happens. It would appear that our sense of what is 'normal' seems to have become distorted everywhere:

Quote:
Is Fat the New Normal?

A rise in average body weight may be changing how we see ourselves.

If you're tall enough to stand out in a crowd, you're probably aware of your tallness – maybe even self-conscious about it. But imagine that you're in a room full of basketball players. Suddenly, you don't seem so tall anymore. Your above-average height feels normal.

The same scenario -- but with weight, not height -- may be happening throughout the U.S.

According to the CDC, two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese. Now that the average body weight tends toward plump rather than svelte, the perception of what's normal may be sliding. And that may have health consequences that are flying under your radar.

The New Normal

The average American is 23 pounds heavier than his or her ideal body weight. If we equate "normal" with average, it's not much of a stretch to say it's normal to be fat.

"For children and for many adults who are overweight, they are starting to perceive themselves as the new normal," says obesity expert Robert F. Kushner, MD, MS. Overweight people may dismiss their weight, he tells WebMD, because they feel "everyone else looks exactly the same." Kushner is a professor at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine and clinical director of the Northwestern Comprehensive Center on Obesity.

"It's quite clear that people are changing their idea of what an acceptable body size is," says Nicholas Christakis, MD, PhD, of Harvard Medical School. As the average body weight goes up, there's more acceptance of heavier body types. This, in turn, clears the path for even more people to put on weight, says Christakis, who is the co-author of Connected: The Surprising Power of Our Social Networks and How They Change Lives.

Are Americans Really Getting Fatter?

The rate of obesity has climbed dramatically in the past 20 years: A third of adults are obese today, compared to 23% in the late 1980s. But this trend may have reached a plateau. According to a new study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the obesity rate has not changed significantly in the past few years.

That's no reason to become complacent, Kushner says. "The prevalence of obesity is leveling off, but it's leveling off at flood stage. So we need to turn that around."

Is Weight Gain Contagious?

How did we get to that "flood stage" of obesity? Maybe you should look around you.

"Our work suggests that weight gain spreads in social networks," says Christakis, who has researched the spread of obesity.

His findings, published in The New England Journal of Medicine in 2009, show that your odds of becoming obese rise by 57% if you have a friend who becomes obese and by 40% if your sibling becomes obese."We're social animals," Christakis says. "We're influenced by the choices and actions and appearance and behaviors of those around us."

In short, our social contacts -- the people in our lives -- have a big influence on what we eat, how much we exercise, and how we judge our own appearance. This may help explain why obesity rates are not the same throughout the country. In fact, there are what might be called obesity hotspots.

Obesity Hotspots

Jana Gordon Bunsic, DO, has seen evidence of this first-hand in her practice. She's a board-certified family physician and clinical nutritionist in Morristown, Tenn. – a town in a state with one of America's highest obesity rates.

"Upon moving my family and my medical practice to east Tennessee, I was immediately surprised by the prevalence of obesity in the area," says Bunsic, who used to live in south Florida. She cites a culture that's fond of "biscuits and gravy," as well as too little exercise. "The society is quite rural, and few people walk or ride bikes from place to place."

With obesity being so common, Bunsic finds her patients have a skewed idea of what's normal. "A 16-year-old patient came in with his mother the other day," she recalls. "By following my recommendation, he had lost 45 pounds… His mother was very concerned he was starting to become too thin" even though he was still overweight by medical standards.

Changing Perceptions

Skewed perceptions are not confined to Tennessee.

"It's taking more and more weight as time goes by for people to judge themselves heavy," Christakis says. In a study using government data, he found that obese people generally knew they were obese 20 years ago. That's not necessarily the case anymore. In 2007, a National Consumers League survey showed that although 34% of adult survey participants were obese, only 12% said they had ever been told that by a health care professional.

Contributing to these changing perceptions is a fashion trend known as vanity sizing. Manufacturers have made clothing sizes more forgiving over the years. "This is making women feel good about themselves," Kushner says, "but the bad thing is it's supporting the weight increase in the population."

Pros and Cons of a New Normal

Kushner sees two positives in society's changing views of weight. One is that overweight people "don't tag so much of their self-esteem to weight," Kushner says. The other is that women of a healthy weight are less likely to see themselves as fat. With so much more of the population being truly overweight, those in the healthy category may feel slim by comparison.

But Kushner cautions that there is a downside, particularly for the obese. If people don't recognize that they have a problem, they'll be less motivated to lose weight, he says. And although the social norms may be changing, the health risks of obesity are not.

Health Risks of Obesity

"It's clear that being overweight is bad for your health," Christakis says. This does not mean that everyone who is overweight will develop health problems, but the risks are well documented. Excess weight has been linked to diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, and some forms of cancer. And last year, a study found that weighing a third more than your ideal weight could take three years off your life.

"Many [patients] intuitively know their weight is a big part of their diabetes, hypertension, lower extremity swelling, and feeling poorly," Bunsic says, "but they have never had a doctor tell them that their weight was a root cause." To turn the situation around, she says doctors should counsel patients about the dangers of being overweight and help them develop accurate perceptions of what is normal.

Christakis agrees, but he says health professionals must handle the issue of weight delicately. "People could tell their patients, ‘When you make an effort to lose weight, it doesn't just benefit you.'" The bottom line: Healthy habits tend to spread among social contacts. So when you make a positive change in your life, it may also affect the people you care about.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...-the-new-normal
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-12, 07:11

BF:

Damg Demi, thats good! We have changes our thinking of whats a normal weight.