Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: bfl/ SUGARBUSTERS MODIFIED
Stats: 270/248/165
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Starting BFL on Mar 4- my intro :)

Hi! I've been reading this site now for about a week. My name is Liz - fuzzy is a nick name from my husband- and I will be 29 on Mar 29. I have an 8 year old son and hope to have more if my body will permit it hasn't participated in this effort for a looong time
I've been working out for about 4 weeks now after a 4-5 year break. I LOVE the gym so much and before reading this book I have been getting up at 530 so not much to change there! I already feel so good that I am lifting and doing cardio. It is certainly going to be hard to cut back on cardio. Basically I have felt so good with the changes I have made that I knew I could accept the challenge.
Yesterday I thought I had to 'train' to even start because I am so weak but then this a.m. I tried it out and I know I am going to be doing less on the weight end of it but my cardio is almost there- almost can endure the 10. I need to remember no pain no gain cause I tell myself okay that hurts and I'll stop. And with the weights I use the machines and on someone of them I am lifting no weights and hitting a 10.
whimpy whimpy whimpy. But I am ready now and my husband is so supportive. I am going to get prepared all weekend - is there anything wrong with the bars instead of the shakes? I can't do the shakes.... thanks for any help on this.
Anyway I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself because I have already popped in and posted and I bet everyone was like who the hey is that?
well I look forward to getting to know you all. All of you are doing amazing things!
edited to let you know the most important thing- I weight 255 and I am 5'2" - almost a complete ball and I live in Oklahoma. For the Canucks that is north of Texas(everyone knows where Texas is!)
Liz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 22:47

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Hey Fuzzbear,

I am by no means an expert on resistance training or BFL but if I can do it, anyone can! I really mean that.

If you have the book and have read it and you have already been working out for a month, then you are well on your way. Once you get started, there will be no turning back.

As for the shakes, you don't need them. You can eat real food for all your meals if you want. I do a combo of both. Sometimes I use the protein shakes/drinks for the convenience and sometimes I eat real food. Just remember that you are eating six meals so that means each "meal" will be much smaller than the regular three squares a day you are probably used to.

Don't have any experience w/ locarb or protein bars but I bet if you are eating locarb bars, somebody here will pop in to let you know they may be full of hidden carbs.

You can check out DivaDani, Marlaine, Bsayne, Nat and Ruth's journals as they are all doing BFL and have lots of comments and info.

Good luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 08:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Liz welcome to the forum and to BLF You're going to love both of them!

Don't worry about how much weight you're lifting - everyone's 10s are different. The important thing is that you hit your 10s and over the weeks you progress. You will see what I mean after a while - today's 10 wont be the same in 4 or 5 weeks.

If you're doing BFL with a LC slant then you'll find a problem with the bars - they are much higher in carbs than listed. IF you're following the plan as written you can use the bars no problem - but its advised you have a piece of fruit with them - the plan as written is higher carbs than most of us here are doing. There's a thread at the top of this forum called "BLF w/ a LC slant" that provides tips and tricks to making this work while eating LC.

All the best - I'm looking forward to watching your progress!
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 09:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default MY first day

I might start a journal soon. My first day was good but today was even better- I actually broke a real sweat dripping nasty man sweat.
It felt so good. I feel better than I have in the 4 weeks since I began working out.
Well the bars I got have 24 g of carbs - I tried carb solutions and they were good so I might go back. They are just so convenient. I need something in the car when I leave the gym that I can eat on the way to work. but besides those 24 g I think I am ok. I guess I am doing more of a sugarbusters version- so many different plans
well thanks for your help!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 16:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default bars update

EAS has a low carb bar. It appears to have 1 g of hidden carbs a total of 3 g of carb, if I did it right. They aren't the best but I'll deal
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:02

BF:

Liz, can you provide the wrapper details? I'd be interested to see the nutritional data on this - as would many LCers I am sure!

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:04
Registered Member

BF:

I will
In fact I entered it into fit day and it said too many calories for the #'s on the wrapper.
Its called carb control.
They have lemon cheesecake and chocolate cookie.
The wrapper is under my cottage cheese in the garbage so I will get them for you tomorrow a.m.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 21:26

Plan: none as yet
Stats: 125/125/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb the label

The nutritional info is online if you look at this website

http://www.eas.com/products
then go to product listing and under low carb bar it lists it out
Calories 240
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3.5 g
Sugars 2 g
Cholesterol <5 mg
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Potassium 75 mg
Sodium 160 mg
Total Carbohydrates 3 g
Protein 30 g
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 23:38
Registered Member

BF:

The cookies and cream is as follows
Calories 210
Fat calories 45
Total fat 5
Sat. Fat 4
Cholesterol 15
Sodium 160 mg
Potassium 140 mg
Total Carb 2
Diet. Fiber 2
Sugars 0
Protein 25 g
I don't know if you need vitamins but it looks like almost 25% of daily recommended on all except 25% for Mag, zinc, Copper, Iodine, and 35% folate.
I entered it the other day and it said 1. something hidden and so it was a total of 3
Pretty good.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 08:52

BF:
Default Re: the label

Quote:
Originally posted by kisemonger
Calories 240
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3.5 g
Sugars 2 g
Cholesterol <5 mg
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Potassium 75 mg
Sodium 160 mg
Total Carbohydrates 3 g
Protein 30 g

Unfortunately when I plugged this one into the hidden carb counter I got 20.73g of carbs (subtracting fiber)

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 08:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzbear
The cookies and cream is as follows
Calories 210
Fat calories 45
Total fat 5
Sat. Fat 4
Cholesterol 15
Sodium 160 mg
Potassium 140 mg
Total Carb 2
Diet. Fiber 2
Sugars 0
Protein 25 g

And 19.47g of carbs for this one

Too bad, a truly LC bar would be a bonus.
Nat
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 14:24

BF:
Unhappy Explain?

Hi Nat,
Im confused, can you explain to me how this can be mis-represented? Thats amazing if those carb numbers are real.. whats the point of putting numbers on the packet?
Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 14:34

BF:

Hidden carbs and sugar alcohols are explained in the following threads:

Sugar Alcohols
Glycerine
'Low Carb' Bars Often Loaded With Carbohydrates
How does the Hidden Carb Counter work?

Doreen's first article will explain how they can get away with this. Good news is the labelling laws are being changed and soon all carbs will have to be listed.

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 15:19

BF:
Cool Thanks :)

Thanks Nat,
Wow.. what a lot of information I had never heard of. Doesnt make diet life simple does it!
Here you are thinking youre watching what you eat so carefully, and they dont even give you correct information.
I hope they sort out these regulations so we arent deceived much longer.
I am just doing body for life nutrition, and low carbs at night. Not a low carb diet.
Im not convinced of the merits of cutting out so many foods, especially fruit and vege, and increasing fats..

Thanks for help