Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 16:03

Plan: Me-atkins/hubby-metabolic
Stats: 200/195/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Can't afford espresso machine? Toddy coffee!

I thought I'd share a good product with you all. I started adkins addicted to caffiene. I'm weaning myself, but decaf coffee is yuk. :-)

However, you can have espresso taste in your coffee for 30 bucks if you buy a gadget called the "coffee toddy" AND you can cut down on caffiene. Toddy coffee cold brews your coffee over 12 hourst time and makes a coffee "concentrate" which you can use for making coffee (1/4 cup concentrate and 3/4 cup boiling water makes a cuppa joe). You keep the concentrate in the fridge for coffee "anytime". You brew up to a pound of coffee at a shot and keep a large bottle of the concentrate in the fridge. It's like having instant around that tastes better than hot brewed! It's great!

Toddy coffee tastes MUCH better than hot brewed coffee and it's healthier with naturally less caffiene (cold brewing extracts more flavor, but leaves more caffiene in the bean). I cold brew half caf (folgers). Doing this I'm getting coffee with 2/3 less caffiene than regular coffee! And it tastes MUCH MUCH BETTER than full caf brewed in a machine.

Also, the concentrate comes in handy for flavoring your treats. A couple tablespoons of cream, 1/4 cup concentrate, ice blended with splenda to taste...heavenly frappicino! Or add some to cheese cake for "coffee cheesecake". Add to a protein shake for a coffee "pick me up".

And for those of you who drink decaf it can taste great in this little gizmo, much better than regular brewed decaf.

This method uses a little more coffee BUT you can buy cheap stuff and still have good taste and the taste benefit is worth the trade off.

To find just run a search on "toddy coffee". It's the price of a cheap auto drip coffee machine and you get quality espresso! No more bitterness!

Kay Wilson (New to adkins--doing with hubby...)
Sponsored Links