Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5"1
BF:
Progress:
Default Karen: Portobello ?, Ricotta?, etc

hi I am new to LC and not a good cook
I discovered I can use portobello caps in place of bread for topping w/egg or ricotta,etc
but I put porobello in Foreman grill topped w/ricotta and was all watery, soggy, mushy
did not grill it
what did I do wrong?
how can I get dry grilled result?

are there other veggies that can serve same function as portobello? I do not want to eat them everyday or I will burn out of them. Would thickly cut eggplant do the same or no? Other ideas??

I love/miss ice cream
Can ricotta be mixed w/vanilla, some nuts, splenda and frozen then eaten frozen?

Thanks in advance
Any and all ideas needed.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloke
hi I am new to LC and not a good cook
I discovered I can use portobello caps in place of bread for topping w/egg or ricotta,etc
but I put porobello in Foreman grill topped w/ricotta and was all watery, soggy, mushy
did not grill it
what did I do wrong?
how can I get dry grilled result?

are there other veggies that can serve same function as portobello? I do not want to eat them everyday or I will burn out of them. Would thickly cut eggplant do the same or no? Other ideas??

I love/miss ice cream
Can ricotta be mixed w/vanilla, some nuts, splenda and frozen then eaten frozen?

Thanks in advance
Any and all ideas needed.

TWO-surface grilling (like a Foreman Grill instead of, say, a regular barbecue or grill pan) of soft stuff like filling made with ricotta simply isn't going to allow the soft stuff to dry enough to bake while the mushroom grills.

I'd try grilling the mushroom cap first (maybe marinated or just sea salt, pepper and some good olive oil on both sides) in a pre-heated grill, then topping and baking. This would work for zucchinis and other grilled vegetables if you want those yummy grill marks.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 16:35
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default portabello/ricotta

so you mean use grill first then bake in oven?
any idea on 2nd question if ricotta can be frozen?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 16:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
so you mean use grill first then bake in oven?
Yes, that's what Judi means. Another tip is taking a small spoon and scraping off the dark gills from the underside of the mushroom. Then season and grill. The black gills exude a lot of black water so doing this will make the mushroom less watery.

Eggplant can be used; make sure it's well oiled before you grill it. Don't skimp on the oil - preferably olive - or the texture will be gross. Peppers, onions, and asparagus can be grilled too.

Frozen ricotta will be hard as a rock and not like ice cream at all. So it's best just to eat it as is, with berries, cinnamon, flavourings, etc.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 16:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default other veg

thanks Karen
was actually thinking what other veg can be used like "bread" like a portobella cap can
I thought eggplant
any others? peppers, onion and asparagus I think too narrow to top with egg,etc
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 01:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, if you just want something to put protein on top of; peppers are boat shaped when you slice them in half, large onions can be cut into thick slices and asparagus makes a wonderful "bed" for poached, fried or scrambled eggs.

One of the things that make it easy to adapt to creating low-carb food is what I call "thinking outside of the bread box". You're talking about eggs, so here's some examples. You can put eggs on top of tomatoes broiled with cheese and serve with a spinach salad. Toss in some crumbled bacon. Or, put the eggs on steamed asparagus that has been tossed with toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, lemon, and butter. Grate hard cooked eggs over hot cooked green beans; add a touch of lemon juice, and a can of tuna, tomatoes, etc. for a hot salad Nicoise. Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, sausages, and eggs would be a delicious combination too.

At the top of all the recipe forums, there are stickies with the contents of each forum. It saves you from having to search if you're running out of ideas. And it's great that you are making an effort to cook. It gets easier the more you do it, and as you find out what combinations taste great together.

Protein Power is a little different from Atkins. You can get in a wider variety of vegetables/fruits, because you start at a higher level of carbs. And you evenly spread them out over the day. So get as many interesting things into your meals as you can!

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Fri, Dec-10-04 at 01:13.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 05:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default food for thought

food for thought!thanks Karen