Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 07:33

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Question Spring Rolls Skin

Morning Karen,

Found a package of Spring Rolls Skin while trying to find those K something, low carb noodles in the store. They are made with rice flour but have only 1 carb listed (44 calories, 0 fat). Would I steam them first then add a stuffing? I don't deep fry so would I just pan fry the roll? I guess if I only put already cooked things inside, a quick browning would be all that is needed.

I'm always intrigued when I find a new low carb item. I did a search on the food forum but didn't find any threads with spring rolls. Any suggestions you have for using these or reasons for not using them would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Barb

They have a woven appearence so maybe I can use them as little place mats if they taste awful.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 09:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
They have a woven appearence so maybe I can use them as little place mats if they taste awful.

Those are Vietnamese rice papers. To use them, dip them - do not soak - them in a bowl of hot water and lay on the counter. They take a minute or so to soften.

One of the most delicious ways to use them is in a salad roll. This link has a very traditional recipe:

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/rec...ers/goicuon.htm

I don't think pan frying would work. THe wrapper would probably get chewy, rather than crispy. Check it out by wrapping one of the papers around a wad of tin foil before wasting any ingredients.

The nutritional count looks kind of suspicious. Roughly, carbs equal 4 calories, fat equals 9 and protein equals 4.

Fat - 0 x 9 = 0
Carbs - 1 x 4 = 4
Protein? It would have to be 10 grams.

The closest count I have is dried rice noodles.

For 1 oz. dried rice noodles
Fat: .26 grams
Protein: 1.39
Carbohydrate:23.19
Fiber: .09

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 13:21

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Karen,

Thanks for the info. The recipe looks wonderful. I'll be giving it a try as soon as the turkey runs out!

The rice paper is from Vietnam. The label also calls then Banh Trang. The serving size is 2 oz and the package is 12 oz. There are lots of skins/paper in the package. More than 12, maybe over 20. Can't tell till I open it. Maybe each skin is less than 44 calories since that is for a serving, which is more than one paper.

I figured there had to be more carbs in something made from rice flour. I can live with 4. The label really doesn't make sense (calories from fat 0, total fat 5.4g) but I never take labels as gospel anyway.

Barb
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 15:55

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think it would be wonderful to tweak this recipe and substitute lettuce for the rice paper

I love those vietnamese summer rolls - particularly when the weather is hot.

I suppose we could dip them in soy sauce and homemade peanut sauce, but hoisin would be out.

Barefoot
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 02:08
Forum Founder

BF:

FYI, I had to pick up some stuff from my local Vietnamese store for a class tonight and had a look through the rice papers. There were some produced by an American company and the carb count was 7.8 grams for one 8-inch paper.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 17:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thanks Karen. I absolutely love those spring rolls and I used to make something just like that but it has never occured to me since I have been on LC. Awsome I know what we're having this weekend.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 02:39
Forum Founder

BF:

If you like this kind of food, this recipe rocks!

Thai BBQ Chicken

I do one thing differently to it now. I add xanthan gum to the sweet and sour sauce.

Karen