Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 21:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question wasabi peas??

hi Karen,

I have before me a most incredible sounding recipe for Wasabi Crusted Sole. This crust for the sole involves "wasabi peas" which are ground then the sole is dipped in egg, then the ground "peas". Then fried in oil. Served with citrusy glazed endives and garnished with lots o' cilantro

Are wasabi peas simply peas seasoned in wasabi? Are they fresh green peas (lower carb) or dried peas (higher carb)? Maybe ground almonds seasoned with wasabi powder would be better?

The recipe is from the summer edition of Food & Drink magazine, published by the LCBO

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 22:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wasabi peas are a Japanese snack that you can buy in Chinese and Japanese grocery stores. The brand name is "Kasugai Peas & You". Go figure!

I used to eat a lot of them in the "olden days"

Maybe finely ground soy grits with wasabl would be a better substitute? I recently found some toasted soy grits but haven't tried them yet.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 14:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but......I remeber SUGAR featured in the ingredient list. I COULD be wrong.. it's been a long time!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 15:16
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but......I remeber SUGAR featured in the ingredient list. I COULD be wrong.. it's been a long time!!
Hmmm .. I wondered about that too. I think I like Karen's idea to use ground toasted soy grits, or maybe plain toasted soy nuts, seasoned with wasabi powder.

Haven't had the chance to try this yet, but I'll post when I do how it turned out.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:01
Forum Founder

BF:

I saw Wasabi Peas at the health food store ... the nutrient data said 10g carbs, 1.8g fiber per 28g (1 oz) serving. There was no sugar of any kind in the ingredients list. Still .. 8.2g ECC is too high for a single ounce, which would probably measure about ¼ cup or just enough for one large fillet.

Maybe OK for Maintenance or a higher carb program such as Sugar Busters or Schwarzbein.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:16
Forum Founder

BF:

In light of the high ECC for the wasabi peas ... I opted for toasted soy nuts, to which I added wasabi.

The soy nuts are (per oz) ... 7.3g carbs, 2.9g fiber .. so 4.4g ECC. I double-checked, and the fiber was not pre-subtracted, so the ECC is correct.

I ground one ounce in the food processor, and added a heaped tsp prepared wasabi (from powder) while processing .. this made sure the wasabi got well-mixed in with the crumbs.

I had 3 average-sized sole (flounder) fillets ... dipped in beaten egg, then pressed in the wasabi crumbs on a plate. Sautéed in ½ Tbsp each ghee and canola oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes each side. Sprinkled some minced cilantro on top and served with a salad of julienned daikon, red pepper, green onion ... drsg: tamari, lime jce, canola and sesame oil, dot of stevia.

It was delicious. The wasabi added a nice bite without being overwhelming. The crumbs were good, but "heavy" ... like nuts or cornmeal, definitely not "light" like breadcrumbs or cornstarch.

You definitely want to use thin fillets that cook quickly. Even over medium heat, the soy crumbs tended to burn quickly.

I'll make these crumbs again ... I'm thinking as a topping for broiled scallops and/or shrimp.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The crumbs were good, but "heavy" ... like nuts or cornmeal, definitely not "light" like breadcrumbs or cornstarch.

You may want to try lightly crushed TVP. It's a lot lighter in texture.

Karen