Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-22, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/140/115 Female 60
BF:
Progress:
Default Anybody here use Dream Whip?

I have a birthday coming up, and a favorite cherry cheesecake uses Dream Whip rather than HWC. I think HWC could be used instead, and maybe a crushed almond crust, rather than graham cracker. Anybody have a good crushed almond crust recipe?
This easy recipe is refrigerated, not baked.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-22, 11:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I found this:
https://www.food.com/recipe/low-car...ie-crust-323019
1 1⁄2 cups almond meal or 1 1/2 cups almond flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons artifiical artificial sweetener (equal to 3 tablespoons sugar)

Melt the butter (if the pie pan is microwave safe, melt the butter in it) and mix the ingredients up in the pan and pat into place with your fingertips.
Enjoy!
Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-22, 11:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Dream whip has 20 c. I think there's 1 envelope in that recipe, so the rest probably comes from the cherry topping. As far as I can remember the ingredients are the whipped DW, and a block of cream cheese. The (cherry pie filling topping would contribute (1/3 cup) 22 carbs.
For my Bday, I may do that. If someone else will do the cake.

Otherwise, cream cheese softened with a bit of HWC and topped w/the cherry pie filling.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-22, 13:52

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I'd use HWC or cream cheese softened with a bit of HWC.

One envelope of Dream Whip has 32g of carbs from sugar & dextrose and is full of other crap: partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut and palm kernel oils), modified cornstarch, propylene glycol monostearate (emulsifier), sodium caseinate (from milk), and less than 2% of cellulose gel, cellulose gum, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, natural and artificial flavor, acetylate mono- and diglycerides (emulsifiers), sodium silicoaluminate (anticaking agent), yellow 5, yellow 6.

Homemade "dream whip" can be made with
· 1 cup cold milk (or cold water & HWC)
· 1 envelope Knox Gelatine
· 1/2 cup sugar (or equivalent substitute)
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instead of canned cherries in sugar, you could use thawed frozen cherries (or blueberries) with some sweetener (heated in a pot on the stove with no lid to evaporate excess water if there is any)

Your plan for the crust sounds good. (Almond meal, melted butter & sweetener, uncooked, is my hack when I'm in the mood for cookie dough ). When I'm in the mood for cheese cake I often just heat some cream cheese in the microwave to soften & stir in sweetener & some vanilla, no crust, and top with a few thawed frozen berries. That way I never have a whole cake calling for me, just an amount that fits my daily limits.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Oct-10-22 at 14:08.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-22, 08:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Deirdra said, "When I'm in the mood for cheese cake I often just heat some cream cheese in the microwave to soften & stir in sweetener & some vanilla, no crust, and top with a few thawed frozen berries. That way I never have a whole cake calling for me, just an amount that fits my daily limits."

That's sort of what I've done, too. Mine is just smash a chunk of cream cheese and add topping. No muss, no fuss, no extra cake. I even asked for that, DD wants a cake, so she's making it. I sent her the dream whip one, instead of having her use HWC. Because I didn't think to, and she has time and work constraints.
However, another an of cherries will soon go on the list. And for my Bday, I'll take those carbs as a "cheat" meal. The rest will be a hamburger and asparagus--I'm adding a few more veggies starting today. This is Induction day 19 I think.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-22, 06:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Not to blow my own horn, but have you looked at my famous recipe for cheesecake here on this forum?

You can make so many variations of it, too. One of my favorite ways is keep out maybe 2 cups of batter and add some sugar-free orange marmalade to it. Then drop spoonfuls of that all over the batter in the pan and swirl a bit to incorporate. Or you can simply pour it over top and have a layer of orange goodness.

AND, no crust needed!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-22, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

DD made the cheesecake with whipped cream no sugar, not Dream Whip, on a crushed almond/butter base, topped with not a lot of pie filling. The cherries are 22 c in 1/3 cup IIRC, and she used maybe 1/2 can, so not a lot of pie filling. Basically a wedge of cream cheese and whipped cream and almonds.
She said she prefers it with the DW. So I may be the one who gets the rest. Which is why, when I was alone, I never made the cake...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-22, 07:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, BW, it does look good. I don't do that anymore, DD or SiL do. Maybe I can get them to try it, but desserts are not part of the menu very often.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-22, 07:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella5
... but desserts are not part of the menu very often.

Nor mine, but good when you need to make a dessert!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-22, 08:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Right now, I'm snacking(??) on basically fat: cream cheese and whipped cream, a few chopped almonds, DD used no sugar, and the tsp or so of canned pie filling...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-23, 11:48

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Not to blow my own horn, but have you looked at my famous recipe for cheesecake here on this forum?

You can make so many variations of it, too. One of my favorite ways is keep out maybe 2 cups of batter and add some sugar-free orange marmalade to it. Then drop spoonfuls of that all over the batter in the pan and swirl a bit to incorporate. Or you can simply pour it over top and have a layer of orange goodness.

AND, no crust needed!

Let me just second this. This is the best low carb cheesecake ever.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-23, 07:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyspers
Let me just second this. This is the best low carb cheesecake ever.

Awww. Thanks! It really is good, and you don't even miss not having a crust.