Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 10:04

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Eye Health and Obesity

I've been taking eye drops for high pressure in my eyes, but side effects are giving me problems. I cut down the last two days and a lot of the dizziness/brain fog is better. It occured to me that losing weight MIGHT help regarding pressure in the eyes, so I googled it and low and behold:

"According to the Beaver Dam Eye Study, obesity is linked to elevated pressure inside the eyes known as intraocular pressure. Glaucoma is a family of eye diseases that is characterized by increased intraocular pressure, but studies do not necessarily indicate that glaucoma is related to obesity. However, increased eye pressure could increase your risk of developing glaucoma in the future."

"Other eye conditions such as diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, floppy eyelid syndrome, and thyroid eye disease have varying degrees of correlation to obesity."

I'm going to make an appointment to see an eye doctor but wonder how that will be possible during the lockdowns etc. Guess the only way to find out is to call and make an appointment!

https://yoursightmatters.com/body-w...-vision-health/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 10:10

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Vitamin A is supposed to be good for the eyes. Do you take that?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 10:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thanks for bring up the subject of eyes. Ive been pondering the connection of diet, inflammation and such on day to day vision.

My vision changes based on level of keto .....or SAD. I have prescription glasses and gave started wondering how diet affects the prescription at time of testing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 10:29

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Thanks for bring up the subject of eyes. Ive been pondering the connection of diet, inflammation and such on day to day vision.

My vision changes based on level of keto .....or SAD. I have prescription glasses and gave started wondering how diet affects the prescription at time of testing.

When I first switched over, my eyesight improved so much I had to change my prescription to a less strong one.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 10:31

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi From what I have read and heard, fixing insulin resistance is the mechanism for improving eye health. A friend's eye glass prescription was lessened and the eye dr told him it was improving his insulin resistance that deserved the credit. Teresa
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 15:45

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'd suggest looking up the name Dr Chris Knobbe, based in Boulder, Colorado. He was one of the speakers I met at Low Carb Denver this year, and while the subject of his talk on stage was the dangers of o6 PUFAs, he's also quite the expert on age-related macular degeneration, which was of interest to me personally as my grandmother suffered from AMD for many years. Really nice guy, genuinely passionate about his work.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 16:51

BF:

holy crap!!!

Dr Chris Knobbe contends that AMD is preventable ! He beleives an ancestral diet is key. Macular Degeneration is now at 1/3 of older adults and 1/11 of those in their fifties, as I remember, and more and more younger folks are developing MD.

The rate used to be 1/1000.

He talks about Weston Price, the dental guru. Little degenerative diseases among the native populations. Addition of sugars and flour etc results in dental decay, need for braces, increase cancer etc etc.

Dr Chris Knobbe looks at ancestral diet to supply higher amounts of mineral, vitamins like the old ways of eating. Far better than supplemental vitamins.

He goes on to look at oes modern diet account for AMD in detail ?

https://youtu.be/SmrncwpaZRM
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 22:02

BF:

Here is a young doctor that explains a bit about the eye as we age, specifically floaters, but thought the anatomy parts might go along with this discussion.
https://youtu.be/WSNsibPwC2c

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, May-16-20 at 08:56.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-29-20, 13:11

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 199/199/199 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
When I first switched over, my eyesight improved so much I had to change my prescription to a less strong one.

This is amazing!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-20, 05:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266.5/209/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:50%/40%/30%
Progress: 85%

Interesting stuff here! I have a genetic condition that causes high eye pressure and have been taking drops for a few years now. I’m curious if losing weight might improve it some. Less inflammation can’t hurt right?

DK, I had horrible side effects with the first drops I tried, but none after switching a few times. If I recall correctly, there are quite a few options, like 6-7, so maybe you could find one, or a combination that doesn’t cause the side effects.