Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 06:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Default My Cholesterol Went Up!!!

After eight months of LC'ing I'm afraid I need to find another weight loss program. I'm up for any suggestions you all may have! My cholesterol went up 33 points in one year. I was 167 last year at this time when I was also 24 lbs. heavier to 200 this year when I'm 24lbs. lighter!!! It's got to be because of the fat intake. I can't let it get any higher. I exercise 3-4 times/week. Any suggestions?

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 06:51
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kim,

First of all, did you have your HDL, LDL and triglycerides tested? Because just a total cholesterol by itself means very little.

There's a very good chance that the raise in your total cholesterol is due to an increase in your HDL (the so-called "good" cholesterol).

So, how about letting us know the full picture? If you haven't yet had the full screen (HDL etc) done, phone or go back and see your doctor and ask for it. They may be able to do it from the last test, or they may need to take more blood.

The fat intake is most unlikely to be responsible for the elevation of your total cholesterol, so don't worry about having to stop low carbing.

If by chance, your HDL is low and LDL high (I'll be very surprised! ), it may be that you are sensitive to arachidonic acid. This is found particularly in red meat and egg yolks. So you may benefit from restricting your eggs and red meat. However, let me just emphasize that that is only if your numbers are not brilliant.
There is no point worrying until we know the full story.

All the best, matey.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 07:05

Rosebud:

Thank you for your response. I am in the process of getting those exact figures. I should have them within a couple of hours (when I can get through to the doctor's office). As soon as I have them, I'll post it here. I hope they're as you expect. I honestly would hate to have to give up low carbing after all this time! I've been successful with it as far as weight loss is concerned and I'm quite comfortable with it as well. Again, as soon as I have those figures, I'll repost. Thanks again for your reply!

Kim
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 07:17
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Kim,

I'm glad the figures are available.

I'm going to bed now, but I promise I'll check back in the morning. (Of course someone else may have given you some great info by then. )

I'll sleep with my fingers crossed!

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 15:36

Here are the figures:

HDL 73
LDL 114
VLDL (factor) 13

Blood sugar - 76

Unfortunately my bad cholesterol is the high one. She said she wouldn't worry since it isn't considered high until it's OVER 200 but whats to say I'm not going to get there since I went up 33 points since last year.

Is it time to say goodbye to low carbing?

Kim
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 21:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Yank_in_NC
Here are the figures:

HDL 73
LDL 114
VLDL (factor) 13

Blood sugar - 76

Unfortunately my bad cholesterol is the high one. She said she wouldn't worry since it isn't considered high until it's OVER 200 but whats to say I'm not going to get there since I went up 33 points since last year.

Is it time to say goodbye to low carbing?

Kim
hi Kim,

Those numbers are excellent, and the HDL is enviable. Well done

Your total cholesterol went up by 33 points, and I would hazard a guess that most of that is due to an increase in the HDL. For the record, a HDL over 40 is desirable ... over 60 is considered protective against heart disease even when accompanied by a high LDL. Normal LDL is anything below 130. You are well within normal limits.

Drs. also use the ratio of total chol:HDL or LDL:HDL to gauge heart disease risk. For total chol:HDL, below 3.0 is considered low risk. Yours is 2.74. For LDL:HDL, below 2.3 is considered low risk. Yours is 1.56.

For an explanation of what the different types of cholesterol are and what they do, as well as triglycerides, check out the Sticky post at the very top of this forum's thread list, Cholesterol and Understanding its numbers

You're doing everything right Don't allow one single number to throw you off.

hth,

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 21:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

In addition, you might want to read The Cholesterol Myths by Uffe Ravnskov M.D. High cholesterol is not the demon it's made out to be.

Also, this article by Sally Falon and Mary Enig, from the Weston A. Price Foundation .. What Causes Heart Disease?. In particular, the paragraph:
Quote:
Men who have cholesterol levels over 350 mg/dl are at slightly greater risk for heart disease. For women, there is no greater risk for heart disease, even at levels as high as 1000 mg/dl. In fact, mortality is higher for women with low cholesterol than for women with high cholesterol.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 02:53
Forum Moderator

BF:

Those numbers look good, Kim!

Great advice as always from Doreen!

I hope that does a lot to reassure you.

Cheers,

Roz
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 03:48

Stats: 269.7/224.8/176 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Thanks for the explanations and links !
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 06:53

You guys are awesome! I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your feedback. I did speak to my doc's nurse yesterday and she told me the same thing (although the explanations from Roz and Doreen were much more thorough). I didn't even have to look to tell that you two were nurses!

Anyway, I feel MUCH MUCH better now. I would hate to have to give up this WOL after eight months (I can't believe it's been eight months - time really flies)!

Thanks again Roz and Doreen. You two really made me feel much more comfortable with this entire situation and showed me that I was worrying unnecessarily! You're awesome!

Kim