Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/231/150 Female 5feet2inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Smile Kingston, anyone?

hey there, I'm Charlie, from Kingston, just restarted induction at the start of the week. Doing great, feeling good!!

So, who's from around here??

Who's found local spots for LC stuff I might have missed?

leave me some info, let's compare notes!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 18:17

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Charlie,

I live in Barrie but will be in Kingston from Sept- Dec. for school (nursing work experience through SLC). I don't know any good places for LC stuff there though... hmmmm.

Have you checked out Tara Natural foods? Other than that, probably Loblaws is the only place

Nice to meet you!

Cathy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 17:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there,

Not sure what kind of LC stuff you're looking for? I don't really use the specialty products, so can't tell you if they're any good or not. But I have seen a few things around:

Walmart - has Atkins and EAS bars, and EAS ready-to-drink low-carb protein shakes in cans. These are located in the pharmacy, with the Slim-Fast and other diet stuff.

Nutrition House - 2 locations ... Kingston Center and Cataraqui Town Center. They have many brands of low-carb protein powders .. SISU, Designer Whey, Interactive and Whey Gourmet, etc. I noticed the one at Kingston Center had a shelf with Atkins bars, some Atkins syrup and maybe a pancake mix. It looked overpriced, but that's just me

Loblaws Superstore - 2 locations ... Kingston Center and Midland Ave (near Cat. Center) Health food section has decent selection of protein powders, and I thought I saw Atkins bars. They have organic eggs, cheeses, nutritional oils and also carry some LC baking supplies such as vital wheat gluten and soy flour. They also have some unsweetened soy milks which are really low-carb ... SoNice and natur-a are both less than 2g net carbs per cup.

Tara Natural Foods - downtown, Princess St between King and Wellington - all kind of bulk foods, nuts, nut butters, vital wheat gluten, soy flour, organic foods, I noticed they have LC bread in the freezer case, but it's $6 a loaf They have organic chicken and local bison meat in the freezer case.

John's Deli - mid-town - Princess St between Chatham and Alfred - great European deli and butcher shop. Meat cut to order .. and terrific weekly specials. They grind the hamburger meat in front of you, so you can see what is .. and isn't .. in it Lots of imported cheeses, and they have a terrific selection of olive oils. You might want to check out the Abea x.virgin olive oil from Crete (Greece)

Mostly though, I just shop at either No Frills or Food Basics for great prices on meats, fresh produce, cheese, butter, eggs, tuna etc etc

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:26

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hey Kingstonites!

Was just downtown today and stopped by Tara Natural Foods. They are now carrying four kinds of Atkins Quick Cuisine bake mixes (incl. Pancake & Waffle, Banana Nut, Blueberry) for $8.35 a bag. They also have a 'Ketogenics' blueberry muffin mix for $13.00. They have Akins Bake mix (in the can) for $17.50 and Atkins Sugar-free Raspberry syrup and Pancake syrup ($5-6 each). Also, as previously mentioned, they have 2 varieties of Low-carb bread ($6.35 each!!!) in the back freezer. But man, was it good to have a sandwich again- 3g carbs per slice.

Down Princess Street a little way at Coffee & Company they had at least four kinds of Torani syrups made with Splenda-0 carbs- for $13 a bottle- there were Peach, Raspberry, Vanilla, and Hazlenut I think. They can also put these in your coffee or make Italian Sodas in the store.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 12:45
Registered Member

Stats: 245/231/150 Female 5feet2inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

hey thanks for all the input...have to get down to Tara's haven't been there since they moved...yikes! I live in the west end, so downtown isn't on my usual route.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 18:21
Forum Founder

BF:

Just an update on Tara Natural Foods .. they've expanded their line of organic dairy products, and now carry organic heavy whipping cream (no dextrose or preservatives) and 30% fat sour cream (Western brand - not organic, but it is all-natural with no preservatives or additives). Also increased varieties of cheeses, goat and sheep milk, and organic. Plus better stock of fresh and frozen organic veggies and fruits, berries etc.

re - Loblaws Superstore .. I noticed since the beginning of the year that the health food section has been carrying more Atkins products. Now apparently they will be carrying lowcarb breads and other bakery items. They'll be made by Weston bakery, which owns Loblaws .. but will carry the Atkins label. Not sure if they'll be in the health food section or with the regular breads though. Haven't seen this on the shelf here yet, but there was an item in the Toronto Star about it .. http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ol=969048863851

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 17:20

Plan: Superfoods RX
Stats: 270.5/228/170 Female 68.5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 42%

I will be in Kingston over the March Break. I went to school there, still have friends there and it is one of my favouritest towns to visit. Anyone else ever had a massage from Theo at The Spa at the Mill..omg his hands are to die for. I will be sure to check out Tara Foods while I am there and the Loblaws...my pissant little town has nothing in the way of LC foods other than the bars and I avoid frankenfoods. Anyone want to meet at Chez Piggy for the Stilton Dip minus the crispbreads? LOL I really would like to meet some other LC'ers. I will be back in August for my week at Green Acres...I go there to swim, read, relax and hang around one of my fave towns. I used to love their breakfasts too, but I think that lovely hot, steaming, melt in your mouth croissant is off my WOE ...sigh
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 19:39
Forum Founder

BF:

hi mollymom,

Never had a massage from Theo ... I'm a regular of Angie Brammer, whose "New Horizons" clinic used to be at The Mill (assuming you mean the old Woollen Mill on Cataraqui St??) but she's since moved her clinic to McDonnell St.

I would love to meet up for lunch during March break .. Chez Piggy is great, or any other spot if more folks are interested!! (just a note that Chez Piggy is changed a bit since the owner, Zal Yanovsky passed away last year ...)

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 11:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/137.8/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default hi from petawawa

Hi
I'm a fellow low carber...Used to live in kingston 5 years ago...sounds like things have changed a bit...Been on atkins since jan 04..Beginning to find more selection in low carb stuff...Hang in there and enjoy Kingston..it was one of the nicest places to live
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:00
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie
..Beginning to find more selection in low carb stuff...

Yep, I've noticed this too. Food Basics has Dempster's Carb-wise breads (white and brown) for $2.69, and I noticed Loblaws had Orowheat 100% whole wheat and multigrain LC bread, also for $2.69 a loaf. They're all roughly 6g ECC per slice. I haven't tried them, so can't vouch for the taste, but the store clerk said they're flying off the shelves!

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 17:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Himmie - so you went from Kingston to Pet. Does that mean you're in the military?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 18:34

Plan: Atkins low crab
Stats: 145/138/105 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Neighbours

Hello All,
l'm a new low-carber, just getting started, was wondering where l was going to find all this low carb food, and you all have helped me out, l thank-you
l'm from Kingston Area too
l shop alot at Food Basic's and Loblaws, so l will be checking things out, can't wait to go to Tara's downtown, sounds great
Anybody check out our Balk Barn by the Cat. Centre? They might carry some low carb foods, l'll check it out.
Nice meeting my neighbour's.
Takecare, Hugs, Lacey.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:58
Forum Founder

BF:

Bulk Barn carries a few items of interest to LC'ers, but I was just there two weeks ago and didn't see any specifically low-carb things.

They're the most reliable (and cheapest) source of pork rinds in town .. Porky's brand, $1.19 per bag. But check the expiry date on the back, sometimes they mix old stock in with the fresh stuff. They also have a good selection and good prices on Swiss Naturals vitamins and herbal supplements.

I have to admit I'm a bit leery about the freshness of the stuff that's been sitting there for who knows how long. They have ground flax seeds, ground nuts and soy flour just sitting out in bins, exposed to air. Those products should be refrigerated or at the very least in air-tight packaging. Buyer beware!

Doreen