Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 00:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The Mediterranean/low-carbohydrate Diet Helps Reduce Hepatic Fat: Study

Quote:
The Mediterranean Diet Helps Reduce Hepatic Fat: Study

The Mediterranean diet was effective at reducing hepatic fat content (HFC) compared to a low-fat diet, according to a new analysis.

The new study published in the Journal of Hepatology looked at whether HFC losses caused by dietary interventions were associated with specific visceral adipose tissue loss. The study population included 278 participants with abdominal obesity/dyslipidemia were randomly assigned to low-fat or Mediterranean/low-carbohydrate diet with and without physical activity. Abdominal fat depots were evaluated using MRI.

The study period lasted 18 months. Average participant age was 48 years (88% men), with a mean body mass index of 30.8 kg/m2; HFC=10.2%). The analysis showed that percentage HFC decreased after six and 18 months compared to baseline, and that a reduction in HFC was associated with decreased in visceral adipose tissue beyond weight loss. Percentage HFC was independently associated with reductions in serum gamma-glutamyl-transferase and alanine aminotransferase, circulating chemerin, and HbA1c (P<0.05). The Mediterranean diet was associated with a significantly greater percentage decrease in HFC (P=0.036) compared to a low-fat diet, as well as improvements in cardiometabolic risk parameters (P<0.05) after controlling for visceral adipose tissue loss. Although the Mediterranean diet was associated with greater decreases in triglycerides, triglyceride/HDL ratio, and cardiovascular risk score were attenuated when controlling for HFC changes.

“High hepatic fat content is associated with metabolic syndrome, type two diabetes mellitus, and coronary heart disease,” the researchers wrote in their abstract. “In this 18-month intervention trial, Mediterranean/low-carbohydrate diet induced a greater decrease in hepatic fat content than low-fat diet, and the beneficial health effects were beyond the favorable effects of visceral fat loss.”

https://www.docwirenews.com/docwire...et-hepatic-fat/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 06:12

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Where are our science translators to decode this for me?

I think it says LC is good for you if you have internal belly fat. It’s always good to have science chiming in.

Thanks, Demi.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 09:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

You got it!!

My frustration is that we should be far beyond this study by now. Atkins '72 had all it needed then to support LC, despite that studies are slow in coming.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 11:04

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I know I'm being a bit nit-picky here but...

Doncha all just love it that whenever there is something POSITIVE to say about low carb eating, it is always described in the report as a "Mediterranean/low carb" diet and then the headlines always only mention the "Mediterranean" part?

Makes me wonder, just WHAT is the difference between those "Mediterranean/low carbohydrate diets" (which are apparently so good and healthy) and the "NON-Mediterranean low carbohydrate diets" that regularly get vilified in the press? I mean, is it something like whether or not one eats olives and cooks with olive oil???

BTW, I read the linked report and the good diet is actually described as a Mediterranean/low carbohydrate plus 28g walnuts/day diet. Maybe the healthy advantage was due strictly to the 28g walnuts/day.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 12:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
I know I'm being a bit nit-picky here but...

Doncha all just love it that whenever there is something POSITIVE to say about low carb eating, it is always described in the report as a "Mediterranean/low carb" diet and then the headlines always only mention the "Mediterranean" part?

Makes me wonder, just WHAT is the difference between those "Mediterranean/low carbohydrate diets" (which are apparently so good and healthy) and the "NON-Mediterranean low carbohydrate diets" that regularly get vilified in the press? I mean, is it something like whether or not one eats olives and cooks with olive oil???

Amen, "Mediterranean" has no definition in this context, which renders the term meaningless, but it's today's magic word.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 15:09

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Isn't the so-called Mediterranean diet based on that Ancel Keys study (not Seven Countries) at a time when everybody in Europe was starving post-war? Or something like that. Or maybe it was dreamed up by The Godfather to boost olive oil imports.

Those of us raised on Crisco and Mazola (corn oil) seem to be surviving. How did we ever manage??
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 18:06

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The dieters were given food guidelines and had prepared lunches.

" For the LF diet, the aim was to limit total fat intake to 30% of calories, with up to 10% of saturated fat, and no more than 300 mg/day of cholesterol, and to increase dietary fiber. Participants were counseled to consume whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and legumes and to limit their consumption of additional fats, sweets, and high-fat snacks. The MED/LC diet combined the Mediterranean and low-carbohydrate diets described in our previous weight loss trial (the DIRECT trial)[15]. The diet restricted carbohydrate intake to less than 40 g/day in the first two months (induction phase), and thereafter a gradual increase up to 70 g/day, and increased protein and fat intake, according to the MED diet. The MED/LC diet was rich in vegetables and legumes and low in red meat, with poultry and fish replacing beef and lamb. This group was provided 28 g of walnuts/day [160 Kcal/84% fat, mostly PUFA (omega-3 α-linolenic acid)] starting from the third month, after the induction phase."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...168827819302740

Last edited by Dodger : Tue, May-14-19 at 18:20.