Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-19, 16:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Naw. Taubes is still fat-friendly. Still animal-fat friendly. The paper used as a reference for Taubes giving in--it's a consensus piece, people agreeing (sort of) on what's resolved and what isn't.

Quote:
Key messages
For cardiovascular health, substantial evidence supports the importance of the type of fat consumed, not total fat intake, and the elimination of industrially produced trans fats
Much of the evidence suggests that the risk of coronary heart disease is reduced by replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fats (including plant oils) but not when carbohydrate is the replacement nutrient
Controversies remain about long term health effects of specific plant oils and of high fat, low carbohydrate diets, and research is needed to resolve these
The focus of dietary advice must be on the consumption of foods and overall dietary patterns, not on single nutrients

That replacing saturated fat with carbohydrate is not an improvement is a bit of a concession, Krauss and Taubes are liable to have pushed for that. Notice plant fats aren't just swell here--evidence suggests plant fats, that will be Willett's contribution since the only thing his sort of epidemiology can do is suggest. Evidence suggests, but controversies remain versus plant fats. Low carb controversy--well, Taubes has pushed for these kinds of studies, gotten some done, and continues to push for more.

It's about what they can agree on--and they don't all agree on low carb and high fat diets, so even though Taubes is and remains in support of these, it doesn't make it into the paper, and Dr. McMacken is either lying or needs to do her homework about Taubes admitting anything, he's entirely unrepentant. Thank God.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-19, 19:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

PJ, that link was astounding. The biased presentation of information was over the top, and the attacks on those who don't follow a "healthy" diet were interesting to say the least. More evidence that the diet wars are in full force, sound science be damned. I'll continue to watch with amusement.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 06:14

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Just a quick remark. The whole article is rather, um, uncongenial to my practice and my prejudices. However, I'm always brought up short by declarations like this one:
Quote:
It’s found in meat pies, sausages, fatty cuts of meat, butter, ghee, lard, cream, hard cheese, cakes and biscuits and foods containing coconut and palm oil.
In low-carb world, it's not appropriate to lump saturated fats as contained in, say, meat pies or cakes and biscuits or highly-processed meat products with a cut of pasture-fed beef or lamb or even eggs. Could what comes with the saturated fat be the problem?

Commentators like this one haven't sorted it out.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 19:10

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks for this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Naw. Taubes is still fat-friendly. Still animal-fat friendly. The paper used as a reference for Taubes giving in--it's a consensus piece, people agreeing (sort of) on what's resolved and what isn't.

That replacing saturated fat with carbohydrate is not an improvement is a bit of a concession, Krauss and Taubes are liable to have pushed for that. Notice plant fats aren't just swell here--evidence suggests plant fats, that will be Willett's contribution since the only thing his sort of epidemiology can do is suggest. Evidence suggests, but controversies remain versus plant fats. Low carb controversy--well, Taubes has pushed for these kinds of studies, gotten some done, and continues to push for more.

It's about what they can agree on--and they don't all agree on low carb and high fat diets, so even though Taubes is and remains in support of these, it doesn't make it into the paper, and Dr. McMacken is either lying or needs to do her homework about Taubes admitting anything, he's entirely unrepentant. Thank God.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 12:59
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Thank you Teaser. I suspected it might be something like that. I just couldn't believe anybody would be brazen enough say so plainly and openly that Taubes said X if he had said nothing like it.

On my journal right now my last few posts are pics of what the tiny high tornado did to my property. This was itty-bitty. Big one and hard on the ground and slow wind would have been a picher/joplin-like nightmare. Nothing like about 24 hours of destabilizing trauma to make all the internet stuff in the world seem pretty trivial. :-)

PJ
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 16:33

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I just saw this somewhere and went WAIT, WHAT?!

I can't quite read the date on this TIME cover (upper left, kinda fuzzy) - but to me it looks like someone photoshopped the headline and curl of butter onto the July 17, 2006 cover.

Actually, the red outline and TIME itself looks kinda fuzzy, compared to the butter and headline.

When I think about how alarmist and click-bait-ish the entire linked main page was where this was found, I'm wondering if all the illustrations and graphs on there might have been photoshop manipulated.