Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Are you planning to Cheat for Christmas?
No way - gonna low carb everything, nothing can sway me 8 22.22%
I will have one day off and thats it 5 13.89%
I won't binge but I am going to eat more carbs than normal as a small break 18 50.00%
I won't eat loads - but im gonna Drink myself silly 1 2.78%
Total blowout, eat drink & be merry for 2 weeks, I am looosening my belt already 2 5.56%
I am worried because I am going to be surrounded by temptation - I will promise to log onto Lowcarber.org whenever I need to get support 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 15:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Talking Are you already planning your Christmas Cheat?

I was stunned to realise that its only 11 weeks to Christmas .....

Have any of you planning to cheat? Are your already salivating over what you are going to have or are you going to be adamant that you are going to stick to this WOE?

My vice is going to be a box of Ferrero Rocher.

Whats your Christmas vice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 18:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I'm going to do my damnedest to stay LC, but.....

....it ain't gonna be easy because my Mom bakes the most delicious pies--apple, peach, blueberry, pumpkin, lemon--with pastry that melts in your mouth. (I'm getting a craving just thinking about it)

judy
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 04:03

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Christmas Temptation

I remember last Christmas. I had already been low carbing for several months. Just before Christmas I went down with a cold and I know I had a few extra carbs to get me over that. Then I permitted two days of excess over Christmas. I live on my own and had rejected everyones invitations to visit them as I wanted some time on my own. So brought Christmas pudding, cream and other goodies. Used up some cake that had been in the freezer for months as well as a few cornettos. Well overall the damage was not to bad, but January 1st I had put on a couple of pounds in weight.

However, the downfall came when I went on holiday the first week in January. Cyprus was cold, wet and windy. A bit unseasonal and there were not a lot of salads and veggies to have with my meat. Did not get much exercise either so ended up having chips with my evening meal. The upshot was that after a week I came back and had put on another 5 pounds. This then took 3 to 4 weeks to get rid of.

So, my advice would be to indulge yourself a little over Christmas and Boxing Day, don't go to excess. Drink alcohol, but drink lots of water to to stop you getting dehydrated. Then on 27 Dec take a deep breath and go back to low carbing properly. After all, it does allow for luxery foods, just not carb laden foods. You may then be surprised to find that your excesses have had minimal effect on your weight loss and in a few cases, it may even trigger a whoosh, when you are back on track.

However, Christmas is 11 weeks away and so stay low carbing and loose some more pounds before that date. My aim is to loose another 4 at least.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 04:46

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Christmas

My vice is Christmas pudding and brandy butter. Mrs R makes her own puddings and a Christmas cake.

I am a Christmaholic and just love the traditional fare. It is a real problem because I just adore mince pies, stollen, all washed down with a good port.

How could I not have the roast parsnips and roast potatoes with the turkey?

I will be able to resist the chocolates except for the chocolate mouse that I have always had in my stocking since I was a little speck of rust.

You have set me off now. Deck the halls with boughs of holly, la la la la lah, la lah lah lah
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%

I agree that I will splurge a little on x-mas day and on Boxing Day (that's Dec 26 for you Americans). Not a big veggie eater, my main vice has been chocolates. However, I know Laura Secord makes some delish sugar-free ones and I have advised my familty to get these for me instead. Ferrero Rocher will be inhaled at a much slower rate than usual.

I'm more worried about all that junk my kid will bring home on October 31st and the Thanksgiving dinner I'm going to this afternoon!

mmmmmmm..... turkey

shutt
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 12:28

Plan: May 03 CAD
Stats: 233/231/150
BF:
Progress: 2%
Thumbs up

Hi Everyone

I think my carbs will increase with the veggies - I make nearly everyone in sight to be honest and my favourites are roasted parsnips with sprouts and chestnuts. So yes my carbs will increase that day - but not from sweet stuff.

Think I will make a jelly just in case lol
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 12:51

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%
Question

Blimey, I hadn't thought about Christmas!
I think it's going to be the parsnips that bump my carbs up something alarming. I will make a lemon mousse style thing, instead of Xmas pudding, and that will be fine, but a baked parsnip cannot be ignored.

And you shouldn't have mentioned stollen, Mr Rustpot. I love marzipan in all forms.
However I love the way Iam feeling and beginning to look better. I think!

Anyone any ideas on a low carb brandy butter?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 13:00

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Salivating over mince pies!

Just the thought of smelling a hot mince pie has me drooling. I must say I could probably leave the roast spuds, maybe take a couple of parsnips, but it's the mince pies with brandy butter AND cream on top that I won't resist even though I know they'll give me terrible wind, doubled with Sprouts you can't win really!!!!!

I can get around the brandy butter but using AS but I can't get around the mixed fruit and pastry for the pies, anyone got any good pastry substitute recipes? Some homemade mixed fruit could I suppose be knocked up with AS? but what about that delicious melt in the mouth pastry?

Happy Christmas!!!!
Banana
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 07:38
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Smile It Won't Bother me

I'm not an Ebeneezer Scrooge, but it is not in my belief system to celebrate Christmas, so I don't worry about a cheat then. I am not wanting to start a debate, I have my reasons for the way I believe, just as all of you have yours. I know there are a lot of foods in the store though, that are tempting that are around because it is the season, but I will get some of those yummy sausage/cheese samplers and hubby can get whatever he wants to munch on! Baked parsnips must be an U.K. thing, don't hear about it much here in the states~!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 11:45

Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

nuts....loads of veggies.....more nuts.....veggie bits....

I think it will be a bit easier for me as I am maintaining and we are stopping at home and cooking everything ourselves this xmas. Some of our family are low carbers and a couple are diabetic - lots of support - so everyone will be staying as straight and narrow as we can !

I am only buying chocolate I don't like for the kids so I can't eat it.

You can get sf marzipan and thats my biggest vice - i am not keen on cake or pudding so I am hoping i will be fairly good really.

I just can't account for what other people may buy for xmas pressies...if i get loads of sweet stuff i think i will have one big cheat on xmas day.

My worry is new years eve as we are ging to a ball and i have no control over the 6 course dinner......

thats the plan... but look out to see if i am confessing my carb sins after xmas......at least i know the support is here to put me back on track...

#11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 12:23

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

No mince pies!! Oh my goodness, I hadn't thought of that.
Or Christmas pudding

Think I might have to cheat for a couple of days.

DH and I are going winter climbing and our standard fare, when we come off the hill is a piece of fruit cake and a glass of green ginger wine - which we won't be able to do either. Now I'm feeling deprived

Seriously, has anyone got experience of cheating at this sort of level for a few days - what sort of effect does it have, on how you feel as well as weight gain.

I'm hypolycaemic and borderline diabetic and much as I'd like to eat all those goodies for a couple of days, if its going to do too much harm, I'd rather not.

Anyone know?

Thanks, Jay
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 14:58

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default SF Marzipan?

Hi there tink,

Where can you get SF marzipan?

Thanks
Iv
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 17:10

BF:

Yes, where do you get sf marzipan? CHristmas suddenly seems brighter.

Brandy butter. What about ground almonds. butter brandy and sweetener? Disgusting? Maybe, I think I will experiment a bit!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 00:29

Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Lucyr

you can get sf marzipan from www.sugarfreeuk.com

if you email me i can get you a 10% discount code - we do that for low carbers who use this forum.

Banana - i pm'd you last night with the info

#15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 04:52

BF:

Thank you very much for that . I do not know how to email you though.