Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/168/160 Male 69in
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Are Atkins products and the like helpful or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
It depend swhen you bought the book! I bought my first one 3 years ago when I first started. In it he says you must not eat any sugar alcohols under any circumstances!
In the latest one he has changed his mind to fall in line with his products.

The list of acceptable foods for Induction has been changing (mostly expanding) since the first one came out over three decades ago (which I've been told only included lettuce among the veggies allowed for induction)... I rather doubt that every change over the last 30 years was made to accommodate a new Atkins product.

On the other hand, I have no way of knowing whether Dr. Atkins deliverately changed the list to "fall in line with his products", or conversely, he introduced new products once he had become convinced, for whatever reasons, that certain previously "forbidden" ingredient could actually be included in the diet. I think it is pure speculation to say one thing or another. (To this day, the Endulge candy bars, which are heavy on polyols, are NOT recommended for induction, whereas the Advantage bars and shakes, which have little or no polyols (but the bars do have glycerine) ARE).

But ultimately the real test is whether or not LC people find those products helpful to achieve their goals... I reckon they do, simply because if they didn't, they would stop buying them, and the products would have to be pulled out of the market for lack of economic demand... the converse seems to be happening... thus, it must be those products are helpful to quite a few people (not necessarily all)).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 03:05
Registered Member

Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

#3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: efgt (modified)
Stats: // Female
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucraPhobe

But ultimately the real test is whether or not LC people find those products helpful to achieve their goals... I reckon they do, simply because if they didn't, they would stop buying them, and the products would have to be pulled out of the market for lack of economic demand... the converse seems to be happening... thus, it must be those products are helpful to quite a few people (not necessarily all)).

Seconds out round two eh?

Well things that are helpful to maintaining a diet but which contain lots of chemicals rather than food does not seem to me to be the best way to proceed. Its the same route as Slimfast and the Cambridge Diet : no re-educating the palate but relying on unnatural stuff.

The second opinions/Barry Groves' site says it all doesn't it? We are back to the argument that commercial pressure to make money by selling this stuff, which is vastly expensive to buy but probably not to manufacture, is very difficult to resist - just look at how other manufacturers are now jumping on the bandwagon with low carb rolos 4 or 5 times the cost of non low carb ones. These products are crutches, and one is better off, both physically and financially, trying to avoid them. I am not saying never have them, but think hard about whether they are really going to help you and see if you can adjust the way you do things to avoid what is (to quote someone on list) "frankenfood".

And one cannot get away from the fact that Atkins himself says to avoid processed food DESPITE the fact that the company that owns his name is promoting these things. Indeed that seems to be the message behind most low carb diets not just Atkins. As we learn more about the effect of various real foods the lists have to change - but the core lists have remained largely consistent.

SL

Last edited by SunnyLady2 : Mon, Aug-30-04 at 07:22.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 13:02
Registered Member

Stats: 215/168/160 Male 69in
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Are you responding to anyone in particular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyLady2
Well things that are helpful to maintaining a diet but which contain lots of chemicals rather than food does not seem to me to be the best way to proceed.

We are back to the argument that commercial pressure to make money by selling this stuff, which is vastly expensive to buy but probably not to manufacture, is very difficult to resist - just look at how other manufacturers are now jumping on the bandwagon with low carb rolos 4 or 5 times the cost of non low carb ones.

And one cannot get away from the fact that Atkins himself says to avoid processed food DESPITE the fact that the company that owns his name is promoting these things. Indeed that seems to be the message behind most low carb diets not just Atkins.
SL

Are you actually replying to anyone, or just parroting a pre-made sermon?

1) Who told you that the Atkins products "contain lots of chemicals"? Are you assuming that just because they come in boxes, cartons, etc they must have "lots of chemicals"? Have you read the ingredient list?

2) Which brand of economics supports your statement that "commercial pressure to make money by selling this stuff, which is vastly expensive to buy but probably not to manufacture, is very difficult to resist?" The more common version of economics has it backward. Products are introduced to the market when there is sustantial consumer demand for them (which manufacturers determine through various forms of marketing research). If the manufacters were to introduce unwanted products just because they think they can sell them at a high margin, they would end up losing a lot of money. They cannot force people to buy their products. Clever advertisement may entice people to try them, but ultimately people figure out whether the products are worth the asking price.

3) You continue to mischaracterize Dr. Atkins's position. Did you read the direct QUOTE I posted from the the 2002 edition of DANDR? I'll try a second and last time: on pag. 129, under the heading "convenience food", it says : "..more and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins.... I can vouch for any product carrying the Atkins name". Is that clear?

--SP
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: efgt (modified)
Stats: // Female
BF:
Progress:

Goodness that is a bit of harangue and i hope you did not intend the patronising tone. I will respond briefly

No sermon, just reiterating my view.

I have read the ingredient list - and would ask if you have looked at the second opinions site which sets it out very clearly

If advertising did not work then we would have shorter programmes on itv and channel 4 (they probably woudl not exist), very thin newspapers and magazine, and no advertising hoardings. Why is Atkins synonymous with low carbing? because it has been advertised, promoted and used the language to great effect. There are other low carb diets out there but most of them do not get into the marketing. And that marketing is aimed at vulnerable people, most of us, who would try anything to lose weight. Diet products hold a huge share of the market for that reason. BUT that does not mean they are good for you.

I have a 2004 copy which directly tells one not to eat processed food.

I doubt we are ever going to agree - I will try my best to eat naturally without too many of the expensive crutches : others, through our exchanges, can make up their own minds. End of discussion as far as I am concerned.
SL