Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Why did you choose low-carb?
To lose weight 466 58.69%
To improve my general health 81 10.20%
to avoid things like diabetes 34 4.28%
to help my diabetes 24 3.02%
all of the above 189 23.80%
Voters: 794. You may not vote on this poll

#121   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-04, 09:30

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

My mother was diabetic along with both grandmothers & 2 aunts. I decided to do Atkins/low carb because I thought it would fit in with the way my husband eats (meat & taters) and just skipping the taters. I found out about 6 months ago that I have PCOS, and my doctor agreed that a low carb diet was the best for me.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-04, 14:27
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

I chose low carb to lose weight. I chose it over other ways of eating (low fat, etc) b/c it offers the tastiest and most variety of foods while still being effective.
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-04, 16:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I chose low-carb because low-fat just didn't work for me, being perpetually hungry just doesn't work for me. So I investigated low-carb and it actually made sense to my over-analytical brain, and it works better than anything I've tried. I love the fact that I can eat good things and still lose weight. Miss french fries though
Katt
  #124   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-04, 10:29
Blood,Sweat and Pain

Plan: My Own Home Grown
Stats: 231/153/160 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress: 110%

Chose Low carb because the high carb diet prescribed by the doctor to help me "manage" diabetes was literally going to force me onto a lifetime of drugs and insulin injections, I hated the idea of long term medication and the side effects of taking diabetic drugs long term so after much research LC was the best way for me.
  #125   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 15:29
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I chose LowCarb based on a friends recommendation.. after a self inflicted metabolism problem, and trying almost every other LowFat option... i came to try Atkins.

I love it and would never go back to any other eating plan
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 14:01

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 273/-/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 27%

I choose LC based on my Drs. suggestion.

I had been trying to loose weight for a while and nothing was happening. My Dr. even prescribed diet pills, but they only worked for a little while.

This was my Drs. last and I think best suggestion.

I am so glad he suggested it.
  #127   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 01:23
Registered Member

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 199/???/149 Female 5'6"
BF:37/??/24
Progress: 9%

The top three apply to me.
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 12:57

Stats: 165/158/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 28%

It's the only way I can control my eating. Other diets left me hungry and craving foods. Low carb, I don't think of food all day.
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 23:12

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Because after reading Dr. Ellis's book Ultimate Diet Secrets, I realized the body weight control advantage.
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 15:18

Plan: Atkins, PP, SB
Stats: 179/125.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 91%

I heard that low carb diets help kids with epileptic seizures - I have very mild ones. My neurologist thought it might help and it has. There aren't a whole lot of studies of low carb diets and adults. It's fun to be a guinea pig.

It has helped me lose some weight as well. I'm not diabetic but when I get stupid and eat sugar, I pay for it by fealing lethargic and I run the chance of having a seizure.
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 14:34

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 327/277/210 Male 76 inches
BF:41%/32%/12%
Progress: 43%
Default Many reasons

I did it because I want to join the Army and my recruiter told me that I needed to lose at least 107 pounds before I would be accepted. I'm getting married in September and I'm not a college grad. I don't have money for school and I want to provide a good life for my future family while serving my country.
  #132   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 14:40

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Out of desperation because I was so sick, weak, miserable and overweight and tried all other diets to no avail. It hasn't been easy but I have cleared up most of my ailments, feel great and haven't even hit my ideal weight yet, but I know this is the right way of eating for me.
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 14:26

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Default 100 reasons but I'll name 10

For a number of reasons...

1. I began to hate looking at myself in the mirror.
2. Couldn't wear any of my clothes in the closet.
3. Hated taking pictures from the neck down.
4. Esteem went to an all time low.
5. No longer loved the way I looked.
6. Felt ugly.
7. Stopped taking pride in the way I dressed (had to wear all baggy clothes).
8. Didn't like the fat jokes my family was throwing at me.
9. Completed a survey and realized I wasn't fat I was obese.
8. Wanted to look younger.

I guess I can go on and on, but I won't.
  #134   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 06:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Warrior Diet
Stats: 171.9/171.9/161 Male 190 Centimeters / 6.2 Ft
BF:Don't Know
Progress: 0%

To improve my health. When I was a kid I was extremely strong but I changed my nutrition some years ago and I experienced bad physical and mental changes and I started to read a lot about nutrition and now I feel very good!
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-09, 22:43

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Well I am going to come out of the closet again. I wanted to lose weight because I was terrified that I was going to become completely disabled or dead. I was more terrified of the former rather than the later. I am one of those people that laugh when I am told something is dangerous and usually do it anyway, still here ha ha ha. I wasn't afraid my weight was causing my health problems until my BP was high for several months in a row. My pulse rate has always been high, but now it has been as low as 80 bpm. I had chest pains for two weeks in December. My weight at the beginning of the month was around 317 possibly higher. Since, I couldn't get to the store much because of the pain, I didn't have much to eat for the last 2 weeks of December, I might have lost weight but it wasn't dieting. January comes around I feel better I buy lots of food eat out and give up on losing weight. This is what usually happens after I feel like I have been starving. So, Jan 8th comes around and I find there are ways not to starve yay, I make my home made Full Bars, lots of carbs, a little fat, and a little protein. But they are delishious and they work. I dropped about 2 lbs in 2 weeks, my BP is still high and my pulse is still in the mid 90's to going over the 100 border. I start thinking maybe I need more protein. So I add more protein to my diet and well I want to lose so I have to cut some calories, I figure cutting carbs is my best option. I cut around 200 grams of carbs in the first two weeks of my journey even though I wasn't concienciously trying to go low carb. I landed here Jan 20th and thought I would cut my carbs even more, I eliminated pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread, but not sugar(I used a small amount in sauces mostly tomato based), well I started to feel better and better. In Feb, when I ran out of spaghetti sauce I decided to eliminate sugar as well. I got down to induction level carbs Feb 15th or so. I will stay at induction level for a couple more weeks then start adding more vegatables back.

ETA: My BP hovers around 130-135/80 most the time now. My resting BP around 85 bpm. My CFS symptoms are becoming more managable.