Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-04, 06:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default After Christmas Challenge

How about it??

I definately need one. I've been off Atkins since the 25th and won't go back until monday the 3rd of January.
I'm a bit scared to go on the scales at the moment, but I'm most definately up at least 6 pounds, so my goals/changes are as follows:

1) Go back to Induction, strict for at least two weeks
2) Go back to drinking about 4 liters of water a day
3) Go easy on the nuts - I have 1 kg of Walnuts, but they are in shells, so don't think it will be easy to overeat on those. Anyway, not going to eat any of these during induction
4) Stop making whipped cream with cocoa, its really really tasty but a def. no no
6) Starting an Asthanga Yoga class on the 11th Jan, (8 week course) and will go there every week - no excuses
7) Do my Kung Fu training twice a week - no excuses
8) Just in process of breaking up with the b/f, so have a whole lot of time on my hand, which I can spend practicing Yoga and Kung Fu
9) Re-read my Atkins book, just to make sure that I am actually doing the right thing
10) Find a car, because Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann are a joke
11) Try out at least one new recipe out of my Low Carb Cookbook (Dana Carpenter). I've started to cook the same things over and over and am getting a bit bored.
12) Go back to filling in all my details into fitday.com
13) loose, loose and loose ;-)
14) Havent decided what I want to do about weighing myself. So far have been doing it everyday. I know a lot of people say that once a week or even every two weeks is better, but I like it doing it everyday, it makes it easier for me to figure out what is going on.

that's all I could come up with at the moment...

So come on in and join me!!

Gagalina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 08:03

BF:

ok, so far nobody wants to join me..... I'll give you a bit more time then!!

Anyway, its monday, I started back on Atkins today and I weighed in this morning at 78.4 kg!!! What a shock to the system, most definatly not ever going to go off Atkins ever again!! Also measured myself this morning.

Gagalina
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 20:19

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Hi Gagalina,
Not much point in me joining your challenge as I have been stalled now for about 3 months , although I continue to watch my carbs faithfully and don't stray very much at all. Luckily, I haven't put on any, so I guess I'll just have to 'weight' it out until it starts to move again!
I replied so that you wouldn't feel like a voice in the wilderness, but I'm sure that this time of year will bring more fellow challengers in soon.
Babs
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 06:55

BF:

Hey Babs,

a stall for 3 months.... That sounds horrible!! I wish you all the best to get out of it soon!!

I have VHI and on their website for about 3 euro a week, they can design a diet for you. They have all the low fat stuff, (no low carb) but they also have the Low GI diet. For the fun of it I entered all my details and according to them I could be down to 72 kg by the 11th of Feb on 1500 cals a day. Sounds cool, but I'd rather stick with Atkins, its free and enjoyable and normally I stay just above 1500 cals.

I found Carb Options in my local Tesco (Stoneybatter) I was really surprised!! They have various soups (mushroom, asparagus and I think tomatoe, pasta and some pasta sauces. The soups and sauces are quite low lc which is nice, so it might be a handy thing if you're in a hurry, but I think the pasta at about 34g of carbs is more something in very small portions or for maintenance at a later stage. I'm quite impressed with my tesco!!

Gagalina
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 09:30
Registered Member

Stats: 260/238/170 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Gagalina

I need to get back on track too. I also have been off Atkins since the 25th. Back to work today 4th and am as of this morning back on Strict Induction for at least two weeks. I haven't weighed yet have left that trial till tonight. I expect to be up lots as I ate and drank everything withing touching distance durning the break.

I havent seen any of the Carb Options foods yet but i did see the TV ads over christmas. Will try them out after a few weeks.

Good Luck

Dave
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 10:20

BF:

Hi Dave,

I saw those TV ads also and was quite surprised and then when I saw them on the shelf in Tesco I was completely gobsmacked ;-)

I think nearly everybody is back on induction after Christmas.... I was going to be good, but 3 weeks in a row at the weekend I had things on where I had to eat "normal" so I took the last week off and I was going to be good, but all these pastries, cookies, crips, etc just kept smiling at me and I gave into temptation quite a lot. By Sunday I still had a good bit of high carb food in the house, so I gave them all to a surprised friend that came over on sunday - He was happy!!

Hope you don't get too much of a shock when you go on the scales ;-) I know I did!!

Gagalina
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 21:17

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

UK Tesco has launched its own range of LC, which is apparantly less than 10 carbs per serving - Pizza, muffins and God knows what else. Sooooooooo, will they hit Ireland before we're old and grey (well, actually I'm both of those anyway!)
The CarbOptions stuff is too high for ANY real LC dieter, although the tomato sauce is nice and fairly OK in carbs. I prefer to make my own sauces - much lower in carbs and generally far nicer than any packet or jar, LC or otherwise.
Babs
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 03:22

BF:

I didnt actually read the label properly, the soups have 10 carbs for 300 ml and the sauces have 5 carbs per 100 g, so must have gotten a bit confused when I first saw them.

Tesco already had them 50% off yesterday... So not sure whether nobody is buying it and they are trying to clear the shelf space or whether they are trying to coax people into buying them??

Gagalina
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 10:27

BF:

So how is everybody doing???
I feel like a packet of Buffalo Hunky Dorys (I love them but for some reason when I was off Atkins I completely forgot to have some)
Glad we dont have them at work so I'll ignore the urges by drinking more water - hope it helps...

So far I've been good with my list of things that I want to do, but I did have some whipped cream with cocoa, and I did have some peanuts yesterday, I was in the pub after Kung Fu training, didnt have dinner and everybody around me was munching away, so I had about half a bag.

Hope you all have a nice LC weekend!!

Gagalina
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 09:47

Plan: atkins/under 20 gr per da
Stats: 154/133/129 Female 5 8
BF:22
Progress: 84%
Cool

Just found this website and am delighted. Have been on lc since august but went off it over christmas. Put on a couple of pounds, thought it would be more. have been on strict induction since last monday and have just lost a bloody pound. Feeling really pissed off with myself. Kids are back to school tomorrow so hope to get a bit more exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagalina
ok, so far nobody wants to join me..... I'll give you a bit more time then!!

Anyway, its monday, I started back on Atkins today and I weighed in this morning at 78.4 kg!!! What a shock to the system, most definatly not ever going to go off Atkins ever again!! Also measured myself this morning.

Gagalina
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 04:54

BF:

Hi Aofe,

welcome to the board and the challenge. There is sooo much info on this board, I was amazed when I found it and it has been helping me do Atkins since I started (in August, just like you).

I've been quite good this week, just lost over 6 pounds on induction, wish this was "normal" but I think its just due to the fact that I put on weight quick over Christmas, so its going to come off quickly also, probably a good bit of water . I don't really care as long as weight is going down ;-)

I was naughty yesterday though, I had nuts, yogurt and an Atkins Bar. I was in town, going to the cinema and just had them as snacks - not really induction food, but better than popcorn and wine gums!!!

Also measured again today, no loss execpt 1 cm around the neck???

Keep up the good work and let us know how you are getting on...

Gagalina
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 16:22

Plan: atkins/under 20 gr per da
Stats: 154/133/129 Female 5 8
BF:22
Progress: 84%
Cool

Hi Gagalina,

Thanks for your reply. Was baking biscuits for the kids yesterday and just could not resist some home made cookies. Anyway enjoyed them but am back on the diet. Went to the gym too - the first time since november. Am very impressed with you loosing weight during induction. Still no more weight loss. Heard about a shop in Portmarnock that sell the low carb bread. Dont suppose you know the name of it and where it is.

Spoke to manager of Dunnes Stores and Eurospar in Blanchardstown giving out over their lack of supply of low carb foods. They said that they were expecting a full delivery of low carb foods but just dont believe them. It is great being able to talk to other low carbers. Thought i was the only one. the health food shop in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre beside Mothercare stock a great selection of low carb bars and the sweet and low milk chocolate bars that have just a trace of carbs.

Keep up the good work. Dont suppose there is a low carb shop/website in ireland. ordered through the UK and for what i spent got very little.

Aoife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagalina
Hi Aofe,

welcome to the board and the challenge. There is sooo much info on this board, I was amazed when I found it and it has been helping me do Atkins since I started (in August, just like you).

I've been quite good this week, just lost over 6 pounds on induction, wish this was "normal" but I think its just due to the fact that I put on weight quick over Christmas, so its going to come off quickly also, probably a good bit of water . I don't really care as long as weight is going down ;-)

I was naughty yesterday though, I had nuts, yogurt and an Atkins Bar. I was in town, going to the cinema and just had them as snacks - not really induction food, but better than popcorn and wine gums!!!

Also measured again today, no loss execpt 1 cm around the neck???

Keep up the good work and let us know how you are getting on...

Gagalina
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 05:24

BF:

Hi Aofe,

for LC bread you should try the Tesco in Stoneybatter (just off the north circular road)

They have LC bread (from Johnson Mooney and O'Brien) and at the moment all the Carb Options stuff is still half price.

I dont know the place in Portmarnock... Wouldnt even know how to get there ;-)

I've never seen any LC stuff in the dunnes in Blanch but I do like the Nature's Way shop - did you ever try the LC Rolo?? Tastes just like the real thing and the sugar alcohols arent as bad as the ones in the Atkins bars.

There is a thread here about somebody wanting to set up an Irish Online LC Shop, but I dont think that took off though.....

I was thinking about ordering the Da Vinci syrups from the UK, but too much hassle with postage and the likes. They only think I ever orderd from the UK was soy protein powder and whey protein powder and that was nicely priced and postage was free.

I was only on Atkins for about 3 weeks when one of my american cousins was over and she baked american chocolate chip and pecan cookies every day!! It was such a hard job not to eat them - especially when they were coming fresh out of the oven!!

good on you for heading back to the gym - we have a gym at work but havent gone since I sold my car - carrying all that stuff on the bus and getting up earlier is a bit annoying, but started a yoga class yesterday and god do I feel it in my bones!!

anyway, keep hassling the guy from Dunnes and keep up the good work

Gagalina
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 04:12
Registered Member

Stats: 260/238/170 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Gagalina & Aofe. The ole christmas caught up on me, weighed in on tuesday 4th and was +7 lbs. Enjoyed putting every one of those bad boys pounds on. Enjoyed a strict 1st week of induction and lost 4 of those lbs, so back on track now.
Bought most of those carb option products from tesco jervis center last week but as i'm on induction they are stored away for later use. Like the sound of some of those tesco products mentioned by babs, lc pizza, only one word for that, nice, will be keeping my eyes open for those.

You both sound very motovated( gym & yoga). Afraid I can't get myself into gear on that front, to much soccer on tv to watch.

Keep up the good work, talk to you soon
Dave
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 06:52

BF:

Hey Dave,

they had the LC bread reduced yesterday in Stoneybatter also, so bought a loaf and put it in the freezer ( I had a slice also, not bad - not really induction food, but I was low on carbs anyway)

Congrats on the loss!!! I enjoyed Christmas and the food also, but glad the weight is down again, just hope it'll keep going on that way.

As good as Yoga is, my arms are killing me!! The muscles are soooo sore, trying to push a door open or reaching over the desk to pick up the phone is hard work!! Think I'll have to warm up a bit better before Yoga or go a bit easier... My flatmate started yoga also and her stomache muscles are so sore that it hurts her to laugh ;-)

LC pizza sounds nice - pizza is the one thing I most def eat when I am off LC, just really really love it!! In the UK forum somebody mentioned that Aldi is going to introduce a LC range... Hopefully if it takes off in the UK, we might be able to get it over here also at somes stage.. I might be in Aldi at the weekend, I'll ask, they might have more info.

Maybe just look for some sort of sports that you really enjoy? If you like soccer, get a couple of likeminded friends together and head for the park at the weekend or something like that...

Have yourselves a lovely LC thursday!!

Gagalina