Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 15:37
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Liven Up a Low Carb Diet

Liven Up a Low Carb Diet
(Visit link for recipes)
Thursday January 29, 4:29 pm ET
Johnsonville Sausage Introduces Italian Sausage Recipes to Inspire Taste-Conscious Consumers

KOHLER, Wis., Jan. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 25 million Americans are following a low carbohydrate diet. And while many of them are finding it easy to adjust to this eating plan, satisfying cravings for flavor variety is proving to be a bigger challenge. Johnsonville Sausage is making it easier for low carb eaters to overcome flavor boredom with four new recipes that blend the zesty taste of Italian Sausage with savory vegetables, garlic and herbs in a medley of flavors sure to liven up any meal. Importantly, all the recipes have less than 12 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.

"The thinking behind these recipes is simple -- combining flavorful ingredients, such as Johnsonville Italian Sausage, with peppers and other vegetables, creates new tastes that can add excitement to your meal and variety to a low carb diet," says Tom Wolff, Johnsonville's director of marketing. "Best of all, each recipe is easy to prepare, so low carb dieters and their families can enjoy a fantastic Italian sausage meal anytime."

Each Italian sausage recipe is packed with natural ingredients and inspired by classic Mediterranean entrees such as stuffed tomatoes and kebabs. Natural ingredients were selected to enhance the fresh herbs and spices in Johnsonville Italian Sausage.
-- Low Carb Mamma Mia Tomatoes - 9 grams net carbs - Pack cored tomatoes with a mixture of Johnsonville Italian Sausage, caramelized onion spinach, tomato, garlic and sherry.

-- Low Carb Italian Sausage & Peppers - 12 grams net carbs - As classic
as Italian Opera, this recipe can be customized with a different Johnsonville Italian Sausage flavor -- Hot, Sweet, Mild -- for a new taste each time you prepare this easy meal.

-- Low Carb Succulent Squash Laced With Peppers - 10 grams net carbs -
Craving an Italian pasta treat? Then try this dish that uses low carb spaghetti squash instead of pasta. Sweet basil-seasoned sausage, sherry and fennel give this recipe a sweet yet savory edge.

-- Low Carb Dunk-and-Grill Kebabs - 7 grams net carbs - The Italian
influence is two-fold: the sausage in this recipe is already infused with fresh Italian herbs and spices, but then the kebabs are marinated in Italian dressing before they're grilled. If you lack Mediterranean blood, this marinated pepper pack and sausage combo could be the trick that transforms you into a passionate Pavarotti type.

-- Low Carb Sausage Roll - 5 grams net carbs - This recipe speaks to
fusion lovers. Fresh Italian ingredients -- sausage, olive oil, garlic and a medley of peppers -- are sauteed with Asian staples such as sprouts and bak choy, then rolled up Sushi style. For the ultimate low carb treat, the roll is encased in a cabbage leaf, not dough.
While these recipes were specially designed to be lower in carbohydrate, Johnsonville Sausage also offers many recipes that help consumers bring flavor and variety to each meal using various Johnsonville Sausage products, such as bratwurst, Italian Sausage and breakfast sausage. For more recipes or information about Johnsonville Sausage products, visit Johnsonville.com.

About Johnsonville

Wisconsin-based Johnsonville Sausage is the number one national brand of brats and fresh cooked breakfast sausage. Its products, which also include Italian sausage and smoked-cooked links, are available in 39 countries including Japan, Hong Kong, China, Canada, Mexico and the United States. Johnsonville employs 800 Members. Each of them takes ownership of product quality to ensure the excellence and "Big Taste" of Johnsonville Sausage. Founded in 1945 by Ralph F. & Alice Stayer, the company remains privately owned today.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 15:39
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
making it easier for low carb eaters to overcome flavor boredom

I don't seem to have a problem with flavor boredom. I wonder why they would think LC is boring when it comes to flavor unless they haven't tried LC and are basing this on the memories they'd rather block from low-fat diets.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 15:45

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Hidden carbs

Just make sure you check the ingredients statements on the sausage. When I've checked in the grocery store, they all contain carbs from added sugars. I make my own sausages because I like sausage without sugar.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 15:49
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
Just make sure you check the ingredients statements on the sausage. When I've checked in the grocery store, they all contain carbs from added sugars.

This is very true. Many of them also contain nitrites/nitrates. I've noticed I find better meats when I shop at Whole Foods instead of the regular grocery stores. I've yet to make my own, but that is mostly due to time and space constraints.