Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 11:01
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Very, Very yummy!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 03:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/150/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Polpettone

This is an Italian style meatball recipe made into a big meatball or loaf, based on a recipe my mum makes with spaghetti.

You can vary the flavourings, but this is the basic recipe I made last night. It was great hot and is great sliced when cold.

I used:

400g organic minced (ground) beef
2 big handfuls of grated fresh parmesan
1 chopped garlic clove
tbs chopped parsley
tbs chopped basil
tbs chopped rosemary
tsp salt and pepper
tbs tomato paste
1 beaten egg
4 chopped spring onions (scallions)
4 pieces of parma ham

Mix all ingredients except parma ham well and form into a rough elongated meatball.

Wrap completely with the parma ham.

Put in a foil lined loaf pan and spalsh with olive oil.

Bake at 220/450 for about an hour until juices run clear when prodded with a skewer.

Let rest for 10 mins before slicing and serving with a tomato sauce

Additional Flavours:

ground fennel seeds
chopped sundried tomatoes
chopped roasted pepper
Italian/sicilian sausage to make up half of the beef (my fave)

This is really versatile and leftovers are great, fried in olive oil or grilled for breakfast with a fried egg
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 23:16
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

I made this tonight and it was great. The smaller you can chop the veggies, the better.

--Melissa
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 21:08

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%
Default Italian Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf

Got this recipe from a former teacher of mine - it's the best meatloaf I've ever had. My friends love it so much they make me make it at Thanksgiving instead of turkey!

1 lb ground beef
1 lb italian sausage (sweet or hot)
1 bag pork rinds, crushed finely
3 eggs
1 c. canned diced tomatoes (I usually use a little less)
1/4 c. finely diced onion
3 cloves chopped garlic (or more, I like LOTS)
1/2 c. pine nuts (optional)
12 oz. (or more) shredded mozzarella cheese
15 oz. (or more) full fat ricotta cheese
4 oz. (or more) grated parmesan cheese
basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, parsley, nutmeg to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Mix beef, sausage, 2 eggs, pork rinds, tomatoes, onion, garlic, pine nuts, 4 oz. mozzarella and 2 oz. parmesan cheese together with seasonings to taste. Mix ricotta with remaining egg and mozzarella/parmesan cheeses, and season to taste with nutmeg, salt, pepper and parsley.

Place one-half to two-thirds of meatloaf mixture in a round casserole dish or other suitable baking vessel (I happen to have an oval casserole dish with a wide flared lip that is perfect for this, but I've also done it in a small dutch oven without issue). Press meat into dish and up the sides, creating a 1" thick layer of meat on the bottom and sides of pan. Spoon cheese mixture into the meat-lined hollow. Top with remaining meatloaf, shaping to create a "cover" for the existing meat structure. Make sure all seams are well sealed. Poke a small hole in the lid to allow steam to escape.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (approximately) or until meatloaf is cooked through. Cover with foil halfway through cooking time if meatloaf appears to be too brown. Check periodically and drain excess liquid if necessary. Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with marinara sauce, if desired.

Carbs: 12g minus 4g fiber for the tomatoes, about 5g for the onions/garlic, depending on how much you use, 4g for the pine nuts, about 30g for all the cheese - so like 45-50g for the whole recipe? This amount feeds 3-4 generously (we are big eaters around here, but also, this stuff is ADDICTIVE). I don't usually make this for induction but it's great for OWL or maintenance. Buon appetito!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 14:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 294/289.4/175 Female 64 in
BF:yikes!!
Progress: 4%

I'm going to try this and grate the zucchini, so my kids won't know it's in the meat loaf.

Sounds delish!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 16:08

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%

ooohh I like the sound of this one!!!! I am going to try it for dinner this week!!!

Dee
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 14:06

Plan: Custom
Stats: 305/240/195 Male 5"8"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCt
ooohh I like the sound of this one!!!! I am going to try it for dinner this week!!!

Dee

Did you get a chance to make this yet? looking for a review....
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 21:15

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

My "review" probably doesn't count since I'm the one who posted the recipe, but this is a consistent winner for me - everyone I've ever served it to LOVES it. It's a very forgiving recipe too - you can change the proportions of almost everything without any negative effects.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-09, 17:20

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%

I'm cooking this right now and it smells so delicious! I also sliced up zuccs and squash and fried in olive oil and garlic for a side dish. It's almost ready to eat and is making my mouth water! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 15:03

Stats: 251.4/231.4/185 Male 5'8"
BF:37%
Progress: 30%

Wow thanks Debi!

I just was browsing the Internet for some recipes and found this site. In particular, this recipe. So I joined the forum and being I had all the ingredients in my fridge, I went ahead and put this together. It sounds wonderful and is smelling even better. Got another 45 minutes before we can "dig in" ! Looking forward to it!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 10:46

Plan: I don't follow any plan
Stats: 174/161/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Debbie! I modified your recipe to our taste and made it in a crockpot. It was SO GOOD that I wanted to share.

Here's the master list of all ingredients for this recipe:

1 small-to-medium yellow onion
3 TBS Olive Oil
1 medium zucchini, mine was about 5 oz
4 cloves of garlic
1 TBS crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds
2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef
2 large eggs
Salt
Black pepper

Now with more detail!

I prepped these ingredients the night before, but it doesn't need to sit overnight. That's just what I did to get a jump-start on my prep.

1 small-to-medium yellow onion, chopped to yeild about 3/4 cup
3 TBS of Olive Oil
1 cup shredded zucchini (started as one 5 oz zucchini, which I shredded, salted lightly to draw out moisture, then it sat for 15 minutes while I did other things, and I squeezed it dry)
4 cloves of garlic, smashed to removed the skin then chopped up (size between a mince and a chop)
1 TBS crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds that I ground in my mortor and pestle. If you have pre-ground fennel seeds I'd say use a scant 1/4 tsp.
Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
4 oz low moisture, part skim mozzarella (Grated freshly to avoid the anti-caking agent found in pre-shredded cheese. It makes a difference! I used the "normal" size grater, not the "fine" grater)
3 oz Parmesan cheese (I used the "fine" size grater for this one, not the "normal" grater. Once again, grated freshly to avoid the anti-caking agent found in pre-shredded cheese)

Chop up the onion and saute it over low heat in the 3 TBS of oil, stirring occasionally while you shred your zucchini, then grate all the cheeses and chop up the garlic. Set the cheeses aside in a big bowl (larger than a standard cereal bowl, you'll need the space). When the onions are translucent, add in the garlic, crushed pepper, black pepper, and salt. Stir for a while, then decide to go squeeze the extra water out of your shredded zucchini. Panic after squeezing out two handfuls of zucchini, and go stir your garlic/onion mixture before the garlic goes past golden. Turn off the heat, breathe a sigh of relief that you caught it in time, stir a bit more til it's done sizzling, and go squeeze out the rest of your zucchini. Dump all the squeezed-dry zucchini into the glorious smelling onion/garlic/spice mixture, turn the burner back on medium low, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is just starting to turn a bit clear but is not fully cooked. Turn off the heat and let cool to room temperature while you go chop up veggies for other things. After the veggie mix is all the way cool, combine it with the cheeses in the bigger-than-a-cereal-bowl, toss to combine, cover with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge. Make sure you have two pounds of 80/20 ground beef defrosted and ready to go tomorrow.

To assemble your meatloaf:

2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef
2 large eggs
1 tsp salt
Veggie mix from yesterday/whenever you made it

In a large mixing bowl, crack in and whisk up the eggs, then throw in the veggie mix and the tsp of salt. Stir that all together with your hands (after you wash them, please), then regret not taking out your meat and go wash your hands again to get it out of the fridge. Add the meat into the egg/veggie/cheese mixture, and mix thoroughly.~

At this point, you could bake it at 350F for as long as you would bake any other meatloaf, or you can be like me and cook it in the crockpot, lined with foil, on high for 3 hours. After it beeps, use a large spatula and pair of tongs to maneuver it into a baking dish, spoon some of the juices and fat over the top, then cover it with foil to let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.~

I served the meatloaf with a quick "alfredo" type gravy, whisked together in a sauce pan:

1 and 1/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup finely grated parm (another three ounces or so)
1 finely grated garlic clove
Two dashes of nutmeg
More black pepper
2 TBS of salted butter

I whisked all of that together til the cheese was melted and let it bubble away for a bit. Even after whisking it was a bit chunky, so I blitzed it with my immersion blender before serving in a gravy boat alongside the meatloaf. It was a delicious addition!

Here are the results:

Zucchini Cheese Meatloaf
8 servings per recipe
Simplified nutrition facts per serving
Calories: 408
Fat (g): 28.9
Carbs (g): 2.3
Protein (g): 34.1

Alfredo
10 servings per recipe
Simplified nutrition facts per serving
Calories: 71
Fat (g): 6.4
Carbs (g): 1.1
Protein (g): 2.6
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-17, 21:43

Plan: lazy keto
Stats: 238/235/190 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 6%

Sounds great! I'll have to keep this in mind for a future meal.