Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-18-07, 14:12

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%
Default Kimkins diet

Does anyone know about this diet, or have you tried it? Apparently similar to Atkins, but with some differences. I'm wondering if this one might work any better....the hype about it says so, of course.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 15:59
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
Does anyone know about this diet, or have you tried it? Apparently similar to Atkins, but with some differences. I'm wondering if this one might work any better....the hype about it says so, of course.

From what I understand it's a lower fat version of Atkins.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 06:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 18%

Rules for Kimkins and K/E

Here's the guidelines for Kimkins:

*Up to 20 total carbs (not 'net')
*Up to 3 cups salad type veggies or
*Up to 2 cups salad veggies + .5 cup 'cooked'
*70-90 lean protein grams
*No LC products, treats, junk or alcohol
*Just enough fat to make your menu work (don't overdo)

Here's the guidelines for the Kimmer Experiment (not M/E):

*As much lean protein as you desire
*Length of time is 3-5 days depending on how 'carbed up' you are
*Purpose is to experience 'real' ketosis (weight loss, no appetite)
*Useful as a springboard for other LC programs
*No alcohol, no cheese
*Basic condiments and spices OK (watch catsup & A1 sauce)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 13:23

Plan: Dukan & Running
Stats: 195.2/155.4/155 Female 5'9.5"
BF:Jigglin'/less/firm
Progress: 99%

There was a really long thread following Kimkins, and it's moved somewhere- can't find it! It had lots of good facts. After reading the whole thing, I wanted to find out how everyone is losing- everyone seems really close to their goals. It seems quite calorie restrictive, and I wish I had the willpower for such a thing, but I don't....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 20:06

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 171.2/171.2/130 Female 65.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I did kimkins for a week a little bit ago and lost SIX pounds. And I've kept them off too. It turned out to be too low calorie to keep up my exercise, so I just had to make the choice to eat more to fuel my body. But, it works!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 20:41
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashyc
There was a really long thread following Kimkins, and it's moved somewhere- can't find it! It had lots of good facts. After reading the whole thing, I wanted to find out how everyone is losing- everyone seems really close to their goals. It seems quite calorie restrictive, and I wish I had the willpower for such a thing, but I don't....

Is this the thread?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ghlight=kimkins
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 07:27

Yes!! Thank you! I have a lot of catching up to do on that thread. I think I'll try it next week- I'm much more disciplined on weekdays, I think I can do it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 07:53

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I think this diet is extremely dangerous. It restricts your calories below 800 with some people actually eating as few as 300 calories a day. This is an anorexic diet! Of course they lose fast and lots of weight. But if you lose more than 2 lbs a week, you are also losing muscle. Remember that your heart is a muscle and anorexics often die of heart attacks.

I think if you follow a low carb diet and keep the calories high enough to provide for normal body functions (10-12x your goal weight) you will succeed and be better off for it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 08:17

The impression I get for reading about it is that it's a way for people who are very close to goal to drop the last few pounds....or for people who have been doing Atkins to break a stall or plateau. I'm going to try the 3 day version of it next week to kick start my Atkins. I know I couldn't do it long term!
I agree that some of their sample daily menus are pretty scanty though....and a lot of egg-whites only! The yolk is the best part- eat it!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: CLOSE TO 0 CARBS
Stats: 237/129/130 Female 5' 4'
BF:
Progress: 101%

I used KE as a kick start to my weight loss. I started in June of 2006 at 229 and by November of 2006was at 164, From there I increased my fat, stayed low carb, and watched my protein amounts. Calories varied according to my carb intake for the day. I reached my goal April 18th of 2007.

Last edited by TANA1 : Tue, May-22-07 at 17:46. Reason: added date
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 09:26

Stats: 267/221/150 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANA1
I used KE as a kick start to my weight loss. I started in June of 2006 at 229 and by November of 2006was at 164, From there I increased my fat, stayed low carb, and watched my protein amounts. Calories varied according to my carb intake for the day. I reached my goal April 18th of 2007.

------------------------------
What a great inspiration. Did you ever think you would be the one to inspire others ??? What a great amt. of lost weight in a year ! Good for you !
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 09:34

Stats: 267/221/150 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default You have stored the extra calories as fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrsy
I think this diet is extremely dangerous. It restricts your calories below 800 with some people actually eating as few as 300 calories a day. This is an anorexic diet! Of course they lose fast and lots of weight. But if you lose more than 2 lbs a week, you are also losing muscle. Remember that your heart is a muscle and anorexics often die of heart attacks.

I think if you follow a low carb diet and keep the calories high enough to provide for normal body functions (10-12x your goal weight) you will succeed and be better off for it.

----------------------------------------
IN reading over Kimmer /Kimkins/KE information , she begins by saying that the extra calories need to come from the fat calories WE HAVE STORED. And apparently it really works for a lot of people. It's rapid weight loss with some good success stories. And guess what ? A more recent photo of her at : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...ad.php?t=431338
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 10:00

Plan: Nothing
Stats: 157/155.6/135 Female 5'5"
BF:28.6%/28.6%/25%
Progress: 6%

I normally hate to raise a dead thread, but isn't this diet almost the same as a PSMF, but without the free meals? In my personal experience, that's quite dangerous if held long term..
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayln
I normally hate to raise a dead thread, but isn't this diet almost the same as a PSMF, but without the free meals? In my personal experience, that's quite dangerous if held long term..

Does this mean you went on a PSMF "long-term" and you had dangerous side effects?

Can you give us some evidence that it's "quite dangerous if held long term?"
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 07:29
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

PSMF is all about getting enough protein. Kimkins, while recommending lean meats, does not specify how much protein to eat. Those who do a low protein version of Kimkins are looking for trouble. Low protein + low carb + low calorie is a recipe for excessive muscle loss.

ETA--actually, Kimkins DOES recommend eating 70-90gP. That's still low, but ok for someone not excerising. Those who eat less than that in the hopes of losing more weight are the ones asking for trouble.