Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 04:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 352/307/165 Female 5'11"
BF:55/45/25
Progress: 24%
Question More Questions?? Decaf And Sweeteners?

Just interested to know if anyone notices a raising of their blood glucose after consuming decaf (I mean strong decaf as in espresso rather than instant)?

Also the same with sweeteners and if so - which sweeteners (excluding sugar alcohols except erythritol occ.)?

Any chance that either decaf or a few diet sodas each day may explain why I am not losing weight (ok 1/2 lb or less a week) or inches.

Lastly - I have been thinking about Rose's comments about tailoring her eating to fit her BG response (although she has no weight to lose) and MizKitty's comments on IF and her low BG although she consumes 1400 Cal in a 2 hour period.

I am wondering whether Number of Carbs is the all important factor in either blood glucose control and/or weight loss. Has anyone tailored what they eat so that they can keep their BG consistently low despite number of carbs consumed? Has this approach resulted in weight loss?

I guess what I am asking is - will consistently optimal blood sugar result in weight loss or is carb restriction the only significant issue in this?

Maybe I am scratching the bottom of the barrel but I need to find a WOE that will allow me to lose weight/inches as well as keep my BG under control.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 18:42

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08
Progress: 100%

I got a kick out of your saying that I have no weight to lose. Actually a couple of months ago that was not true because I am only 5' tall and at almost 150 pounds I was more than chubby! Being short has some disadvantages. If I just had longer legs I would have looked ok (grin). Plus, I am an old lady at 65 and gravity does do a number on ya as far as that girlish figure goes!

Anyway, when I was told I had diabetes, and figured out the low carb thing on my own (because my doctor is an idiot and believes in the ADA diet) I started strict carb reduction. At first I was really hardcore abut it, and was pretty much doing the Bernstein thing of 6-12-12. I wasn't counting them like in every single gram as some do, but I just stayed away from anything at all that had even a hint of sugar or flour or starch in it. The BG started to come down in a matter of days - the weight soon started to drop. I do think that the BG improvement came first for me, not sure if it does for eveyone. 13 pounds is a lot of weight to lose for me since I had not seen even 140 in about 10 years, and who knows how long my sugar had been on the verge of diabetic. I have since slowed down a little but not gaining anyway.

I am now allowing allowing a few more carbs but not much. A low carb tortilla wrap for a quesadilla, for instance - a small smidgen of a starchy veggie, a sandwich on ww bread sometimes. Poached egg on toast. Like that. I have slowed down considerably on the weight thing, but the sugar seems under control still. So things must stabalize after awhile.

I think you may be right about the coffee thing - if I drink regular brewed coffee my sugar does spike. If I drink 1/2 and 1/2 decaf and reg, it is less, decaf not so much. But I am not a decaf fan so I usually do the 1/2 and 1/2 thing. The only diet soda I drink is Coke Zero because I like it, but not every day. It might sabotage you but they say it doesn't. Someone else will have to comment on that.