Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 05:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/248/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Haven't been on here in ages! We've been to two more space shuttle launches -- Challenger and Discovery -- since my last post!

We've managed to take a trip somewhere every month since we bought our little camper last May. Up to the top of Mt. Cheaha in Alabama to escape the heat. Then a trip to Kentucky to visit my daughter and grandaughter.

We love the Army Corps of Engineers parks, partcularly the ones in Georgia. This summer we were so sad to see how the water is virtually disappearing in the lakes in the Southeast. The drought is awful, as is the heat. Global warming is frightening and we are trying to live an ever more green lifestyle.

This is the first time we have spent the summer in Florida. It ain't the heat....it's the HUMIDITY! Yucky.

The Snowbirds are drifting back! We did it for four years. Now, as residents of The Land of the Newlywed and Nearly Dead, we are noticing the increase in traffic this fall......

Come on down! I promise you won't miss the snow!

Hugs to all my camping friends,

Mary Ellen
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 20:11
Raising My Pitch

Stats: 188/200/150 Female 5'7"
BF:getting lower
Progress: -32%
Default glad to see you

Hi Mary Ellen, glad to hear you are getting to camp. We got the fifth wheel but haven't got to take it out. Gas is so high, we have a diesel truck and it was 3.02 today. You are right about the Army Corps of Eng. parks they are so nice. When we took our trip out West we tried to stay with them. We have of Golden Pass, so we get a discount. We did take a trip in our little old trailer to South Ga. to a bluegrass Festival. We had a great time. I like people that camp, most are so friendly. Sylvia
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 13:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/199/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default heading south

We are fulltime campers heading to florida at the end of november. We are going to the keys for a couple of weeks and hoping i will be down a few pounds to fit into my bathing suit. It will be our first winter in florida and we are so excited.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 14:41
Raising My Pitch

You lucky dog, going to the Keys. That's where I would like to camp. How did you find a place to stay? Most everything gets booked up fast for the winter season. You must have planned ahead. We would also like to go to S. Texas. Maybe some day we'll hitch up and take off. Have fun. Sylvia
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 06:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/199/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 19%
Smile

We are staying at the KOA down there. We had to book the reservations about 6 months ago.......can't wait. I was almost going to do some traveling nursing in Texas, but chickened out. Things just didn't fall in line for this.
we have been blessed with the ability to travel and not work for at least till we run out of money lol.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 07:16

Stats: 256/248/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Goooooooood mornin! It's a lovely day in Florida!

I watched three beautiful deer tiptoe across my lawn in the early morning. Now the turkey herd (3 to 18 at any given time, about 10 today) is strutting around the neighborhood while an Anhinga is drying his wings on the pond in my back yard. We back up on a huge nature and wildlife preserve and there is always wildlife to see at any given moment. The Sandhill Cranes are back. Noisy but beautiful. There are lots of foxes, some black bears (don't see them much), an occaisional gator, and my favorites, the playful river otters who roll around on my lawn in the spring!

I am going to try to put my bird feeders out today.....and out of the way of the deer, who like to empty them at night. When we were full-timing, I always had my feeders up wherever we camped. The most fun was putting out a larg terra cotta dish, the kind you put under a pot, and filling it with water for a bird bath. I couldn't believe how many birds I had bathing in it! It was the "Swimmin' Hole" for the park one winter.

We spent four winters at Rock Crusher RV Park in Crystal River, FL, about 75 miles north of Tampa on the west coast. Love that park. It has been sold this year to Elite Resorts, and I hope it will stay as nice. Getting tough to find a winter site these days. More and more parks want you to buy a lot and the prices are really high.......sigh.......

We visited/camped with some full-timing friends last week and Don really misses full-timing....me too....but the house is nice to come home to.......

Have fun out there!

Hugs,
Mary Ellen
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-07, 08:34

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Bookiebell hope you are well on your way to a wonderful winter. We will be home this year as my MIL needs us. She came here from Oregon state for a visit, had a bad heart attack and is now in hospice in the nursing home. We just could not go away this year with the situation as it is now. She is so far from home and will not be able to every go home.

If things are right we might go to our sons in NC for March and April or April and May. They have a beach home in Manteo and we would stay there.

Have a good day,
Linda
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-07, 10:21
Raising My Pitch

Wendy I'm very sorry to hear about your MIL, sad things happen in this life. Thank goodness the good out weigh them. Camping can be put on hold for a time. She is a blessed person to have a loving family. I don't know if we will get to go any where this winter. I just got back from Savannah, Ga., we went to the Lady and 2 Sons Restr., started by Paula Dean. We had a good time. Savannah is a beautiful & charming place. I did notice some pretty RV campgrounds. I would like to go there and camp for a week. You need time to absorb all the history.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 20:17
OWL More Veggies

Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hubby and I have a new (to us) Class C and we take off for a month at a time. We are going to explore Eastern Washington, Northern Idaho and Montana this summer, Glacier and Yellowstone being at the top of the list. Are you on Escapees http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.xpe it and Motorhome Mag are my favorite RVing boards.
See you on the road
  #70   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:55

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I was just talking to my husband about us buying a rv or some sort of camper and travel some. we are retired now and I have always wanted to do that.
But gas is so high now I really don't see if we can afford it now.
But it sure sounds nice to me.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-08, 07:53

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Cold this morning

Just a quick note from rainy, cold Rio Grande Valley.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 21:25

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
Hello everyone: I am fascinated by this thread as we do a lot of tent camping, and now that I'm 60 I think ahead to the possiblity of having an actual roof over our heads in downpours.

In some ways it doesn't make a lot of sense for us, as we have a home in North Carolina and a cabin in New Hampshire. And many years ago, I had a cabover camper which we almost never used.....except when we had company and we'd sleep in the camper in the driveway and let the guests stay in the house. We took it to several campgrounds in California ( Yosemite and King's Canyon) but always ended up sleeping outside in a tent and cooking over the fire. The porta potty was a fine feature, however! And the camper really came in handy once during a monsoon on a beach in Ensenada, Mexico.

Still. I tend to gravitate towards the idea of RV traveling once my husband retires. You folks keep posting, and I will keep listening....

Kay

Kay, I have missed you, and its because I loved reading your journal, it was like a book I asked a few old friends of your if you were ok, and I haven't heard. But I am so HAPPY to see you are still around But you don't have a Journal,, do You?
My Son is still in NC and Happy as ever.
Well I am so happy to see you
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 21:33

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

We are stationary RVer's, we live in Oak Creek resort in El Cajon Ca.
We decide to do this over a yr ago, but just in July of last yr we decided this was our plan. Sell our stuff, hang onto the can't sell stuff, and we traded our Blazer for a Toyota Dolphin. I re-did the hole inside, cover coushins, and painted, re did the cabinets, and carpet. it was fun Well my Husband got his transfer to the Poway HD and we got on the road and here we are. We traded in the Dolphin, and bought a 28 ft Fifth wheel. In the next few months we are trading my car for a Truck that can pull this Baby of ours. Then we will spend 2 days every week somewhere in a park, campsite just enjoying our lives. And three weeks next yr we will travel somewhere, we have been looking at indeas.
We just love the San Diego area, these mountains we live in are breath taking, there is always somewhere to go, and enjoy, and sight seeing is endless.
So here I am Debbie