Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 18:15

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 100/88/80
BF:
Progress: 62%
Lightbulb Newbie Questions

Hi there, im new, just a few questions.

Can i drink fresh 100% orange juice on a daily basis?

Can i use a little tomato sauce with all this meat im eating?

Whats the best alchohol to drink, normally im a burbon and coke boy, but that will have to change.

Is it at all posible to add a few peices of whole grain bread / day into my diet?

and finally, whats the best fast-food foodstuffs to eat when your lowcarbing? cause there's sure to be times im stuck away from my oven and fridge.

Cheers for the Help

Jake
New Zealand
Low carb newbie.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 18:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jake!

I'd say it depends on what low carb plan you're following, but fruit juices of any kind would be pretty much out of the question. Juicing fruits only concentrates the natural sugars in the fruit and so an 8 oz. glass of orange juice could wind up being about the same as eating 4 or 5 oranges at one time.
A little tomato sauce would be okay as long as you count the carbs in your daily allowance. You could also try soy sauce or mayonnaise mixed with some seasonings (or even just by itself!)
Whole grain breads? Hard to say without knowing how many daily carbs you are allowing yourself. Generally, the majority of your carbs should come from low carb veggies and on most low carb plans, grains of any kind are not added back in until you in pre-maintainance or maintainance.
Fast foods? Most fast food places offer salads but check the dressing for the carb count; generally ranch or bleu cheese dressings are the lowest. You can always order a burger and toss the bun or a grilled chicken sandwich and, again, toss the bun. Stay away from anything breaded or battered.
Alcohol is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing, but be aware that your body will use alcohol for fuel in preference to fat so if you are drinking, it could slow down your weight loss. Many people report a much lower tolerance to liquor when they are low carbing also, so always follow up any drink with plenty of water or you would find yourself waking up with a doozie of a hangover the next morning. Hard liquor doesn't have any carbs, but use a sugar-free mixer such as Diet Coke instead of regular. You wouldn't believe how many grams of carb are in a single can of regular Coke and they're all in the form of sugar.
If you haven't settled on a low carb plan yet, I'd encourage you to check the link on the right side of the page titled "which low carb plan is right for me". There are quite a few low carb plans with varying levels of carb. It's always easier if you have a plan, especially when you are just starting out, instead of just winging it on your own. Once you pick a plan that you think fits your lifestyle and tastes in general, please make sure to get the book and read it thoroughly; they contain much information and a lot of tips that make the switch to low carbing that much easier. I wish you good success!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 19:55

BF:

Thankyou so much for that reply.

Im doing the Atkins LC, and trying to track down the book atm, but in NewZealand that may be a problem

I just went to the chemist and got some ketosticks, $20 for the box (normal?) ive only been LC'n for 2 days and are so far not showing any colour. I suppose its a little early to show.

Todays food intake:

Breakfast:
2 eggs, 3 peices of bacon with the fat left on, a little bit of chicken off the bone fryed in with the bacon and eggs, and a small portion of smoked cheese on the side. 2 tbls of tomatoe sauce aswell. ()
All fryed in olive oil.
(i work in metric system sorry, so dont know pounds/ounces etc)

Lunch, 2 medium sized 'texas pork riblets'
with 2 glasses of Pepsi Max (diet soda)
Followed by my 1st cigerette of the day

Dinner, very large piece of rump stake, with some smoked cheese melted ontop, and 2 eggs.
2tbls of tomato sauce again on the stake.

No snack's
8 glasses of water
1 multi - after breakfast.
I normally smoke about 5 a day.

Any probs there?

I am experiencing some small headackes. nothing to bad.
And ofcourse a little less energy. but not too much less than normal.

Biggest adjustment for me is the lack of alcohol, i would usually have 2 or 3 bourbon and pepsimax's a night. + 1/2 a 40 oz on a saturday night.

Im 20, 5'8" tall, 90 kg.
And im a Radio DJ

Theres a little bit of info

Thanks again for any vets offereing their words of wisdom.

I have a job this summer (dec-jen-feb) working on the beach for a radio station, so i want to shed about 15 kgs.

WISH ME LUCK!

ps, i made up my starting weights on the left cause i have no idea what 90 kg's is in pounds. If somone knows tell me and ill update

#4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 10:32
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

You could just post your stats in kgs, some people do that.

You also need to supplement your diet with salad/green vegetables, this is where most of your 20 gram carb allowance should go.

I'm a ketchup addict and use it on eggs without a problem.

What is the artificial sweetner in Pepsi Max? Atkins says no aspertame. Some diet sodas are sweetened with Splenda or sucralose which would be a better choice. The best choice is plain water. At least 64 oz. Someone in metric help me, is that 2 liters?

I don't know if $20 NZ is as expensive as it sounds, but you really don't need the sticks but some people like to see them change colors.

You might be able to get a copy of Doctor Atkin's New Diet Revolution at your local library.

Beth
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 02:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158.2/136/121.8
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default metric converter

Hi Jake

Here's a link to a site I use heaps for doing conversions:

http://www.french-property.com/ref/convert.htm#mass

also - Fitday.com is a really good site for keeping tabs on your daily consumption of food, are you using it?
Here's the link if you're not:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html

Don't forget to take a multivitamin supplement (Kordells Mens Multi is a good one), flaxseed oil, vitamin C, Lecithin etc.

Multiply your weight (in pounds - 93 kgs = 205 lbs) by 10 or 12 (2050 - 2460 calories) to get an idea of the calories you should be sitting around for each day (don't stray too far outside the range and you should lose weight, so they advise on this site.)Remember to keep readjusting the calorie calculation as the weight comes off.

The Fat/Carb/Protein % is said to be best at around the 70%-5%-25% (or thereabouts) - which is where that Fitday site is good 'cos you can juggle the calories/fat/carb/protein counts around in your food prior to eating, in order to get the ratios about right for the day.

Cheers
Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:17

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi Jake:

Welcome!

If you can't find the Atkins book, go to www.atkinscenter.com. You can order the book and tons of other stuff, and actually get plenty of information on-line to get you started. Go to the Induction section, and I think you'll find everything you need.

Good Luck!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158.2/136/121.8
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Where to buy Atkins book in NZ

Hi Jake
Forgot to mention before - I picked up the 2002 edition of the Atkins book in Paper Plus Bookstore, Invercargill.
Cheers
Lynne
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 19:28

BF:

Hi there, Cheers for replies.

Found a copy of Atkins revised addition in the local Library

Its a good read

Found out I have to cut out my Pepsi max cause of the caffeine, being an insulin stimulant.