Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 19:51

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 190/182/135
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default More Newbie questions

I've been "lurking" here for a few weeks trying to figure out what I should be doing and still have a couple questions maybe someone could help me out with.

1) I HATE VEGETABLES! My idea of eating green food used to be limited to M & M's! I know how important it is to eat vegetables, but the ones that I could tolerate are not allowed (carrots, corn, etc.) I try to eat salad about once every 3 months to make sure I still hate it and I still do. Do I just hold my nose and choke it down? I think this is a major stumbeling block for me - I'm not getting and fiber and I'm having adverse effects because of it (I think you all know what I mean). I'm going to the health store to get the psyllium husks to help this problem, but I know I still need to eat the "green leafy" stuff - I think.

2) I have been in keotosis since the first week, but nothing seems to be working. I know many of you don't put much weight on (no pun intended) the sticks, but its the only guide I have that I'm even on the right track. But, I seem to have stalled (perhaps because of the lack of vegetables). I drink PLENTY of water - the worn carpet between my office and the restroom is proof of that! My typical snack is cheese and beef somersausage. I've read that both of these could be stallers. I am prepared to give these up (begrudgeingly). I am also prepared to give up my diet soda with aspartame and my morning cup of coffee (and all caffeine for that matter). Do I need to give up these things even if I'm in keotosis?

Sorry this is so long. Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 20:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi New,

First of all welcome to the board! I'm glad you "delurked."

My first suggestion is that you start a journal here so folk like me can call in with help or just to say hullo.

Next, have you tried drowning the vegies in butter? Many people here have said they are amazed at how their formerly vegie hating tastes changed after a while. So maybe if you try again periodically.
My next suggestion is to use lots of other flavours with your veg. Curried, soy sauce and sesame oils in stir fries spring to mind. I also make a yummy cheese sauce (good for cauliflower, leeks, you name it) by simmering heavy cream until it has reduced by about ½ then add grated cheese.

I wouldn't fret over the coffee. Many people here drink coffee and are still losing. Let's see what you are exactly eating.

When you say "nothing seems to be working" I might just dispute you!
You've lost 8 pounds! Well done!

I know, I know, you'd like to be losing a lot more and more quickly. I'm losing weight very slowly myself and can understand your frustration.
Unfortunately the examples that DR A gives in his book don't always translate into real life.
What we find here, is that most people lose 10% of theeir weight in Induction and 5-10% a MONTH after that. Which puts you pretty much on target.

All the best, matey. And no more lurking!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 20:31
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I like Rosie's idea of drowning your veggies, too.......... how about Ranch or blue cheese dressing?? I LOVE raw cauliflower that way.... try it!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 22:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 248/241/148
BF:48%
Progress: 7%
Default doing good!

That is great you have lost 8 pounds!!!

Butter does amazing things to vegetables, they are so much better. After awhile you will find yourself liking more of them I am sure, especially if you try different ways to prepare them. That cheese sauce sounds heavenly.

Hang in there, I am sure the scale will be going down more very soon.

Sandy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 16:38

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 190/182/135
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question I still think I'm stalled!

Thank you for the quick responses!

I am please with the 8 pounds I've lost so far. However, I lost those 8 pounds during the first 10 days on the diet. So, I've gone about 5 weeks now with no change. Nothing. Nada. Which is why I posted hoping for some advice.

I am going to the store tonight to somewhere I've never been before - The Produce Aisle. I will try you suggestions for drowing the veggies in butter and other sauces. I am going to try and stay away from the cheese for right now as I think this is something that may be stalling me. I read somewhere that dairy may be a staller. Does this include eggs? I think I'm starting to grow feathers, but I don't think I could give up the eggs!

I'll try doing the journal thing - starting tomorrow (all I've eaten so far today is eggs with some heavy cream and water - not the best day to start!). Which brings me to one last question (for now). Is there a difference between heavy cream and heavy whipping cream?

Thanks again for your help. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 248/241/148
BF:48%
Progress: 7%
Default go for the heavy cream

I think I am right here, somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Heavy cream is higher in fat so less in carbs. 6.6 g carbs in 8 oz.

Good luck in the produce Isle!!!!! Vegies are good !!!!

Bye for now

Sandy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 22:35

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

To answer your questions:

1. Eggs do not count as dairy in that they aren't known to contribute to stalls. Eggs are a great, easy, low-cost, low-carb, protein choice. Especially if you like them. Myself, I have to smother them in something (lately chorizo) to get them down.

2. Heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are the same thing (they may not have been in the past, but now they are). The important thing is to read the label and make sure the carton contains only cream. Many "manufacturers" add sweeteners and fillers. I even found an "organic" heavy cream that included carageenen. Sure, it's "organic." But it's not pure cream.

As to stalls, technically, it's not a stall until it has lasted for 6 or more weeks and your measurements have to be stalled also.

Have you measured yourself lately? I'd be willing to bet you're seeing movement in that area. Many people lose weight in the beginning only to have a period of apparent stall right after, but they usually see some reduction in size. Basically, your body is still adjusting to your new way of life.

I think you should try to settle into more of a routine. Work on making low-carb a lifestyle. Once you do that, you will find it is much easier to work with. You can then try to add some different veges and branch out a little. Don't worry about cutting everything back -- you need to eat a well rounded diet. Relax.

And congratulations on the 8-pound reduction. That's wonderful!

;-Deb