Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 02:31

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default More newbie questions...

hi there!!

Newbie question time again ....

I started a weight training program last week. The trainer at the gym game me a program that I managed half of with great effort and for the next 3 days my muscles were killing me. Yesterday I did the same schedule, but managed to finish it all. I made an enormous effort and really pushed myself to what I felt was a safe maximum, but this morning I feel almost no muscle pain/tiredness at all. What does this mean?

I really feel I couldn't have done more without doing any damage... if I don't feel much fatigue today does this mean that I didn't work out enough or what?

Second question: should I be eating differently on days that I work out as opposed to days that I don't? (I've ordered Trainer Dan's book so I guess all these questions will be answered there, but I'm very enthusiastic cause I've never done weight training and can't wait to see a litlle muscle!!!)

Third question: I'm being told by various people that I should drink water during training only before and at least 1 hour after but I get awfully thirsty. is it ok to drink during?

Thanks in advance for any replies to maybe dumb questions...
Bye
S.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 06:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

S, sounds like you're into the swing of things

Feeling sore after a workout can be a great feeling. You don't and wont always feel it though. Sometimes I have a hard time doing up my bra my triceps hurt so much, other times I don't even notice a twing; yet I am sure each workout I do the most I possibly can. Also, that first time out is the killer. You'll notice this is the case as well when you change exercises around. OUCH. Don't forget that sometimes it can take as much at 36 hours before you feel the DOMS (Delayed onest muscle sorness). I find this particularly true of lower body workouts.

I eat about the same on days I lift and days I do not - it is important that you constantly supply those muscles with amino acids. On the days inbetween your workouts you are doing your growing, your repairing, all the *real* work. Eating right then is vital.

As for the water - not sure what the scientific reason you're being given for not drinking water during your workouts would be. Common sense seems to indicate to me that you'd need water then - it's the water that keeps you hydrated. You want that blood pumping to your muscles. In any event, I drink 2 cups minimum before working out, and about a litre while working out, and then continue on afterward.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:48

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Talking yess!!!

Yup, I'm really enthusiastic. I dunno why I never tried weights seriously before!! I get out of the gym in a great mood ... wondering if it's psychological or physical, but who cares.

Aerobics classes always tended to make me feel really hammered whereas I come out of a session with weights really zippy!!!

And funny you should mention it, when I started the thread I felt no soreness at all as I said, and now after only a few hours I'm starting to feel my muscles creak a bit... I guess I was a bit hasty ... hehehe!!

Anyway, thanks again Nat for your satisfactory answers, I've got another question floating around out there ... If you feel like giving me your wise and experienced insight I'd be grateful.

Bye
S.