Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 11:06
Rock, Ya'll

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/273/178 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hey ya again, Built.

I actually saw you mention that article once before, and as a result of that I did change my workout to all the areobics last. It sounds like some really sound advice. But for me, it had a way of un-psyching me.

I kept catching myself, consciously or subconsciously, saving a bit of stregth during the weight lifting portion of my routine knowing that I had the areobic workout still coming up at the end.

What I did, however, was add 13 minutes of additional Stairmaster on the end. That doesn't unpsyche me. Plus - okay this is silly - but doing adding the 20 plus the 13 gives me 33 which is an important number for me..

I know it's nuts - lol - but my favorite number is 33..
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 16:42
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

Another one bites the dust..

Quote:
Stairmaster:
20 minutes Level 4 / Fatburner
Inclined Abs:
3 sets of 33

Weights: (pulling)
8 sets lats - bent over rows / high reps
6 sets biceps - db (30lbs) one arm curls / seated between legs
3 sets biceps - curl bar / standing
3 sets biceps - db (25lbs) each hand / in unison / standing

Inclined Abs:
1 set of 33
Stairmaster:
13 minutes Level 4 / Speed Training

Prolly a lil too much on the bi's today and not enough on lats but today I felt like treating myself to a good vanity pump. ;-) lol

Prior to my workout I went shopping for this week's groceries and while there I also picked up some 25's - thus, the motivaton for the pump.

On a side note also it could be in my head but I'm beginning to notice a change. Tis hard to describe but it is as if the fat is seperating a bit now from the underlying layer of muscle. I don't think anyone could tell that from just looking. You kinda have to be 'in me' to feel it and see it while looking in a mirror. But a physical change of some sort is occuring for sure.

Rosemary steak on the grill tonight for dinner. After that a movie. And then after that I'm going to download some iTunes and make myself a new high speed / deep base workout CD.

HA!

gotta rock
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 22:52
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

Hey J.K. I kinda know what you are talking about. I have always...and I mean always been real solid...even with the fat...(I think thats why I always seemed to carry my weight well, no one believed I was ever 300 lbs.) but ever since I started all this.....the fat has gone kinda flabby but then there is muscle there. I like to think of it as the fat is falling apart and on its way out!!!! For good!!!!

Have a good night.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.K.
Prolly a lil too much on the bi's today and not enough on lats but today I felt like treating myself to a good vanity pump. ;-) lol

I do this too sometimes on bis.

#50   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 14:56
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

Quote:
I do this too sometimes on bis.

Dontcha just luv it. lol..

Here we call em Hollywood Muscles.

Also, good to hear from you, Dawn. HA! - I'm down to 245 today and just put the final spin on another workout.

Today was a bit shorter though. I got 33 minutes on Stairmaster. Got 99 inclined abs/crunches. And got a fairly decent chest workout. However, I had to cut tris and delts short.

I'm having some left shoulder pain doing dumbell flys. It feels like a ligament being pinched, and today it was more pronounced than before. In fact, on one rep while in the downstroke - ping!!!! - burn - and wups - there it was. My whole left shoulder burned hot.

I'm not really sure what that was. Perhaps it was just one too many tackles from my younger days. But rather than risk an injury or further injury I decided to cut the rest of my weightlifting off today. I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Also, thinking about running over to Walmart this afternoon and getting a straight bar and a bit more iron. Right now the only way I can do bench press is with the dumbells or the curl bar. I'm really missing a straight one. But that outta get me by for about four more weeks. After that I'm pretty sure I'm going to join the gym.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 18:43
Registered Member

BF:

Get that shoulder checked out! This is NOT good pain, and a chest exercise like dumbbell flyes shouldn't do this to your shoulder.

Unless you meant lateral raises? At which point I'd suggest lifting lighter and slower (on the negative too), and imagine you are pouring a very full pot of tea far from your body, elbow slightly higher than the wrist.

Injuries SUCK. Sorry this is bugging you bud!

#52   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 22:29
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

Hey J.K.
Hows that shoulder of yours????????
It sounded kinda scary to me. You better be taken care of it. We want to keep you healthy!!!!! So as Built said....Don't be fooling with it!
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 22:49
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

Hey bellybutton..

Thanks for asking. I really don't know today as I didn't lift today. I don't have any pain at all except for when I'm doing that specific exercise.

I should know by tomorrow or Monday though, and whatever the case I'll be getting it checked out within the next couple of weeks as it's time for me to go in for a routine checkup anyway.

Hope you are having a good weekend. Again, thanks for asking.

And cheers!
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 07:14
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

Note To Self:

July 4th is the day I think I can proclaim as marking me officially back in the 'habit' of working out again.

I didn't work out yesterday. I went motorcycle riding out in the country, cleaned up my canoe, blew up a baby swimming pool (perhaps I can count that - lol), and then had a low carb cookout.

I was giving my shoulder one more day of rest before checking it out again.

The thing is all day yesterday I felt myself Jonesing to get my hands gripped around a bar again. lol

I haven't felt that way in quite a while, but I sure do recognize what that feeling is. It's one I've been expecting. I had confidence I'd get into that mindest again, and 'Wups!' now it's here....

Also ran across a quote yesterday that seemed to fit in with the whole thing.

Quote:
You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
-- Jack London

Today I'd say I agree...

workout today - prolly sonner than later ;-)
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 12:47
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

Quote:
This one's alive!!

And another one bites the dust...

Quote:
Stairmaster:
Inclined Abs:
3 sets of 33

Weights: (pushing)
7 sets - bench press
2 sets - inclined bench press
3 sets - dead lift to chest
1 sets - military press
3 sets - tricep ext. / curl bar / laying
6 sets - tricep press / curl bar / close grip / laying

Inclined Abs:
1 set of 33
Stairmaster:

1st regarding my shoulder:
I had no pain today. None at all. But then again, I didn't really hit my shoulders very hard, and I didn't do dumbell flys. I have, however, decided to make an appointment with my accupuncturist just for the heck of it. I've seen him in New Orleans for several different things and been very pleased with the results. So, I'm going to try that. If he can help it without muscle relaxers, drugs, etc.. I'll be all the happier. Plus! - getting accupuncture is kinda like taking a really good nap..

2nd regarding a change in my weights:
Today as much a I hated to do it on Tri's I droped the weight down to 40lbs. I hate doing that because I can remember being able to lift so much more. lol.. But at 40lbs I'm getting almost perfect form and better focus on the muscle.

3rd regarding a change in workout time:
Today rather than working out prior to dinner I worked out as soon as I felt wide awake. Doing that I think I just felt a lot better. Plus in that I'm still working out on the carport right now I was able to get a little sun at the same time. I can't do that in the afternoon here as it get's so hot the sun itself will drain your energy. But in the morning it seems to be okay. I think I'll keep this up.

4th regarding my supplements
I'm increasing the Hot Rox to 4 per day (two in the morning and two six hours later). That's actually the recommended dose for best results but as it's so expensive I think I've been keeping it to two a day. That then is going to change. Additionally, I'm upping my dose of SAMe to 400mg per day rather than the 200mg I've been taking. That one is for mood. I swear by it. It just gives me a positive outlook on things, and that keeps up the motivation.

----------------

Anyway - that's all for now. Tomorrow I'll burn another one with back and bi's plus I think I'm going to start throwing some squats in there now that I have the straight bar.

For the rest of the day though - ROFL - it's off to tan by the baby swimming pool..

Cheers!
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 13:32
Registered Member

BF:

Good workout!

And I hear you on the ego-crush that it is to drop down on the weights (and I know this is worse for men than it is for women, but I feel it too!), but form really is KING. The AMOUNT is secondary. The stuff that works is VERY subtle.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 10:50
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

lol - thanks, Built..

Ego crush is a very good way to put it, but I'll get back to where I wanna be soon - I hope - so help me God.. lol

Worked out again in the morning hours today, and again felt great about it. To the extent that I can I am definately going to keep my morning routines up.

Quote:
Stairmaster:
Inclined Abs:
3 sets of 33

Weights: (pulling)
4 sets - straight bar / dead lift
6 sets - dumbell bent over rows - 6 sets each arm
2 sets - straight bar / dead lift
3 sets - straight bar / standing curl
3 sets - dumbell curl / between legs / one arm - 3 sets each arm
2 sets - straight bar / dead lift

Inclined Abs:
1 set of 33
Stairmaster:
Inclined Abs:
1 set of 33 - supersetted after stairmaster

- very small breakfast pre-workout + supplements
- powershake after workout / atkins mix + 3 raw eggs

Also got into a rhythm today which is something I'd been forgetting. Today I took 33 breaths in between each set and pretty much followed that throughout. I think also being conscious of my breathing that way is prolly what gave me the extra energy for that last 'extra' set of abs.

All for now. ... Oh - and before I forgeeeet. I've decided to do abs and legs tomorrow. Up until today I haven't had a day set aside for legs, but in as much as I seem to be doing well with my program I think I better add one.

Don't wanna wind up looking like a spinning top, now do I?
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 11:28
Rock, Ya'll

BF:
Default 1st Leg Day

Okay - I have a short one today.

I guess I'll have a better feel by tomorrow as to how far I can actually push it. But for today this was my first day doing legs so I didn't wanna push too far.

After all - I do like walking..

Quote:
Inclined Abs:
3 sets of 33

Weights: (legs)
5 sets - dumbell / one leg calf raise
1 sets - dumbell / two leg calf raise to failure
4 sets - straight bar / squats
3 sets - dumbell / squats

Inclined Abs:
1 sets of 33

As I said, really short but I think enough for this first day. At the moment legs still feel like 'tree trunk noodles.' Also, I really wasn't sure if I should do Stairmaster on the day when I do legs. If anyone has an opinion on that please chime in. I'm not sure if I should do slow twitch on the same day I do fast twitch.

Perhaps I should also add that in terms of legs right now they are 'okay.' But here if anywhere I need to bulk - not loose.

Then finally, I'll just add that although I'm still doing okay at home every day I'm missing more and more the benefits of going to a gym. For instance, today I had no way to do leg extensions and I'm really handicapped when it comes to working my hamstrings.

Possibly adding some 'before' leg pics to my gallery later. I might as well keep track.

Hope you all have a good one today! And cheers!

#59   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 13:29
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

Okay - short one today.

I did, however, get up a new pic.

Bring It On

I have to admit I'm pretty happy with my results so far. The before and after shots really give me a bit too much credit. It has to do with the pose for each and the position of my waistband. But all in all, again, I'm pretty happy.

Besides, I could walk around holding my stomach in if I wanted.. lol

Here is all I did for workout today:

Quote:
Stairmaster:
Inclined Abs:
3 sets of 33
Abs - 6 Inches:
2 sets to slow count of 33

After that I pulled out the straight bar and was ready to do chest, shoulders, and triceps, but listening to my body and feeling it I could just kind of tell that this would be a good day to give it one more rest. I think I need a little more recovery.

That's all for now then. Hope everyone has a good weekend planned.

And cheers!
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 07:01
Rock, Ya'll

BF:

ACKKkkkkkkkkkk!

My left calf is killin me.. lol

Not an injury just the dang muscle. I can walk but it isn't pretty.

Having said that I guess I'll hold off on Stairmaster today, which really kinda sucks. I've become accustomed to doing it now, and thats my time of the day to really jam out..

Chest, Shoulders, and Tris feel just right for a workout though. Perhaps I'll do that. But man! - I wish I could go soak my left calf in a hot tub..

Maybe I should go ahead and join the gym.. lol