Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-21, 21:26

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Default Collagen Powder and Weight Gain

Has anyone here experienced this? I'm delving into whether this is a waste, or if it's helpful. I saw on the DD facebook group, one woman said it caused her to gain. I'm assuming that stopped when she discontinued it. What do y'all think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-21, 09:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. I don't see how it could really contribute much to weight gain. What product is it, and what is she eating it with? Is it a sugary protein powder? Was she basically eating an extra meal just to have some?

I use collagen powder off and on when I know I'm just not getting enough protein overall, and/or when I'm trying to heal inflamed joints/muscles/tendons. When I take it, it's added to things that I'd be eating anyway: the 'au jus' or sauce of whatever meat I'm cooking, a soup, maybe some SF jello... and my weight has been very steady for the last 4-5 years. Collagen is found in meats, particularly in the joints and 'icky' bits. If you consume a lot of broth, if you regularly eat ribs or chicken wings, if you like the 'sinewy' parts of any kind of meat, you're probably already getting lots of collagen. So unless there's something weird about the product she's using or how she's using it, I really don't see how it causes fat gain.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Jun-19-21 at 09:38.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-21, 22:07
Registered Member

Plan: Intermittent fasting
Stats: 227/168/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Has anyone here experienced this? I'm delving into whether this is a waste, or if it's helpful. I saw on the DD facebook group, one woman said it caused her to gain. I'm assuming that stopped when she discontinued it. What do y'all think?

Ive never experienced this. Perhaps a food sensitivity?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-21, 02:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

There's a ton of "collagen drinks" sold as a beauty aid for face and nails. Most of them are heavily sugared drink mixes.

I like them in the summer, and got mine from Primal Kitchen, who uses high quality sweeteners I get along with. I also have a container for general use, as Kristine notes, which can be added to anything.

Unless she was eating too much protein as a result, like using them as diet shakes? I suspect sugar...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-21, 04:15

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Was she using collagen powder or the sweet drinks Werebear mentions?

Speaking of collagen powder, it recommends 2 scoops in a serving
Hpw many servings a day? Does not say.
Mixes well with bone broth
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-21, 19:04

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

This thread seemed to fade away, but I found a Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides at Costco. 1 scoop of the chocolate flavor one is 45 calories, fat is 0.25g, protein 10g, carbs 2g, 0 added sugar. The unflavored one has no carbs at all.

I put a scoop of it it in my egg white protein smoothies and don't see any weight gain effect from it. Undoubtedly there are probably other collagen powders that have more "stuff" and sugar, carbs etc. in them. This one seems benign. I don't know if I'd drink it all by itself, though, but it's certainly fine in a smoothie like I make.

Does it help anything? I have no idea, hopefully it does good things to skin and joints etc.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-21, 03:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have been using a scoop of chocolate collagen powder for this past year and believe my nails are stronger, hair thicker. The reason I use it though is to increase protein and satiety. I add both whey protein and collagen to 0%fat yogurt and low fat cottage cheese, for an easy to digest high protein treat. Collagen is somewhat "incomplete", missing one amino acid?, but along with whey protein and dairy, it adds good protein. Although lean proteins and vegetables make up most of the P:E Diet, these "desserts" work for me, losing 34 pounds this year, now in a 22 BMI. So stalled weight loss wasn’t the collagen, nor was it the "dairy"! I often read that dairy is inflammatory, and probably wrote that myself in the past. Someone thinks they need to give up 2T cream because it is stopping weight loss, when the fat and calories in dairy are the problem. This basic podcast interview with Dr Ted Naiman covers why "processed foods" like whey and collagen are good, along with how to lower fats when increasing whole food vegetable carbs and increasing protein. https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects...i=1000529446358

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-31-21 at 09:54.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-21, 06:52

BF:

Collagen is an easier way of doing bone broth. I've read that the healing properties of chicken soup were from the bones and feet that were part of making the broth.

My tiny kitchen and periodic bouts of illness means I can't do all the cooking myself. Collagen does this for us, in easier ways.

I can't see how a complete protein can be bad!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-21, 16:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I can't see how a complete protein can be bad!

Collagen is definitely good . However, it's not a complete protein, unlike other animal proteins.

I use pure (unflavoured, no additives) collagen protein powder often, and thinking I should start using it every day However, it's part of a mixed paleo-ish diet that includes other (complete) animal proteins .. meat, fish, fowl and eggs (no dairy).

Collagen lacks .. or is very low in .. certain essential amino acids. It should never be used as the sole protein source each day. But it's fine to use as a protein supplement to boost overall protein intake

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-21, 20:56

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I listened to Naimen's podcast and tested his opinions that "dairy is not inflammatory" and that ultra-processed whey is a fine food.

One serving of low-fat dairy caused me a massive headache and stuffed up sinuses, eustachian tubes, vertigo and triggered an eruption of psoriasis, just like it always has. Dairy may not be inflammatory for him, but it ruins my health, as do whey, soy & legumes.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-21, 12:57

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I listened to Naimen's podcast and tested his opinions that "dairy is not inflammatory" and that ultra-processed whey is a fine food.

One serving of low-fat dairy caused me a massive headache and stuffed up sinuses, eustachian tubes, vertigo and triggered an eruption of psoriasis, just like it always has. Dairy may not be inflammatory for him, but it ruins my health, as do whey, soy & legumes.

I disagree with Naimen about dairy and definitely agree with what you just said. Dairy affects me terribly and I'm best off without it, and dairy was a problem for me from birth, I couldn't tolerate it. What really stands out for me is digestive upsets, but also the things you mentioned, including vertigo (maybe attributed to gluten as well). I eliminated all grains including gluten, all sugar, all legumes, almost all dairy and the nightshade vegetables back in early January and have never felt better.

Certainly whey might agree with SOME people, but it's on my "no" list.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-21, 03:33

Sure that some people have food sensitivities to dairy and many are lactose-intolerant. I use a small amount 1% Fairlife ultra-filtered milk in my coffee, so no lactose, and both the yogurt and cottage cheese are fermented, so it's reduced. Bett's comment about heavy cream was more don’t blame a weight loss stall on all dairy when you pour it freely into coffee and have multiple cups a day. The Atkins/Dr Westman limit of 2T per day is a helpful guideline, if you do not have food sensitivities. The limits on fats with the traditional Low Carb diet was probably what kept my weight nearer to goal, than had I embraced the High Fat Keto movement.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Aug-02-21 at 06:44.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-21, 05:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Collagen lacks .. or is very low in .. certain essential amino acids. It should never be used as the sole protein source each day. But it's fine to use as a protein supplement to boost overall protein intake

Doreen

Thanks, Doreen! I don't know where my wires got crossed on this. But I can tell that it has a beneficial effect on my joints. Must delve further.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-21, 05:36

Everything you ever wanted to know about collagen but were afraid to ask. By Mark Sisson.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/que...en-supplements/