Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-19, 09:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I don't think that is supposed to be how it works, though. You do the 30 days to figure out what's bugging you in your diet so you can continue to avoid it. I don't remember it even seeming like a weight loss diet per se, more like a food journaling opportunity based around avoiding common triggers (for weight gain, bad digestion, headaches, etc.). I think the 30 part of it is about it taking awhile to clear some symptoms food sensitivities. It bills itself as an elimination diet and that is exactly what it is. I actually really love it. But you have to understand what it is. It's not necessarily about weight loss. A lot of my friends who've done it don't have weight to lose.

You're right, it's not supposed to be how it works. Unfortunately, some take the 30 literally. I agree with your points, and I could adapt this "program" to fit my WOE very easily. It's a good Paleo introduction to lowering carbs, processed foods, and dairy. I think it's sound; yet, some of those I know outside of my family think that once the 30 is over, the program is over. That's the only concern I have. I would simply eliminate some of the higher carb vegetables and fruit and increase fat/ protein if I were to adopt it.

My point was that our society today has been conditioned to view "diet" as temporary, and that's the danger in all of these programs where when someone reaches whatever goal(s) they've set, that reverting back to the former WOE will be ok.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-19, 10:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I always thought of Whole 30 as more of a benevolent trap. You stop doing everything that sucks, and then carefully reintroduce things that suck, and hopefully realize they suck.

Incidentally this is also how Atkins worked for me. Carefully reintroducing higher carb foods, realizing they sucked at least for me, and moving on with my life.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-19, 12:39

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
<...snip...>
Incidentally this is also how Atkins worked for me. Carefully reintroducing higher carb foods, realizing they sucked at least for me, and moving on with my life.

I tried introducing carbs back into Atkins as well, and found out the only way for me to remain no longer overweight was to stay on "Atkins Induction" forever. What I settled for is now called keto.

It's that or gain.

I found out I can't do as many carbs as some others can. But I also found out I can stay slightly under the overweight line if I make keto my WOE or my permanent diet.

Bob
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-19, 17:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I always thought of Whole 30 as more of a benevolent trap. You stop doing everything that sucks, and then carefully reintroduce things that suck, and hopefully realize they suck.

Couldn't have said it better . . .
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 05:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I started low carb for a health condition (I'm a type one diabetic). I had a few vanity pounds to lose, but was never overweight.
I have been low carb for about 14.5 years
I am now at very bottom end of what is healthy for my height, but I am also very active.
My diabetes control is fantastic.

Personally, I wouldn't get into a debate with a dietician, who isn't even your health care provider. It's a losing battle, and you will only frustrate yourself.

Last edited by Robin120 : Sun, Sep-15-19 at 10:30.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 06:52

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Great 3 paragraphs Rob.

"...I developed a routine that became a habit"

A diet is what an organism consumes in the way of food. I changed what I ate and for the most part avoided GPS (Grains, Potatoes and Sugar) - I found meals that were easy to make and satisfying. I did this over a fairly long period of time (4 years so far) It became habit and I have maintained a stable body weight that's greater than 100lbs lighter that it was 4 years ago.

I'm curious about the anti-diet thing. I'll look into it. I to don't look at what I'm doing as a "diet to lose weight" and I don't consider what I have done as any kind of success. Just like putting on a seat belt when driving a car is not a "success" it's just a habit that has become 90 percent unconscious. It's my belief today (and that belief is open to change as evidence becomes available) that putting a seat belt on and avoiding "Grains, Potatoes and Sugar" may be beneficial for my health in the long run.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not ever - but it's what I chosen to do and practice today.

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478328

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The Whole30 is an interesting concept, and it's referred to as a program, not a diet. It's really a Paleo "program" that I could easily live with, as it has people avoid for 30 days all dairy, alcohol, grains, legumes, seed oils, and anything with preservatives. It allows fruit and other things I don't eat. The major quibble I have with it is the 30 day period, as this is really the concept of a "diet" that most have. While the word "diet" is not defined this way, but today most think of it as a temporary period of time, almost like a penance, of restricted eating to lose weight, then, it's over. The Whole30 should program should drop the 30. I know people who have had great success with it, then when the 30 days is up, go back to what they were doing before, and surprise (not), the weight goes back to what it was before.

Long-term success is something that I thought a lot about when I first started eating low carb. I was motivated to stay consistent and when results started happening, my motivation was reinforced. There were times early on when I felt like crap, particularly as I was transitioning my energy source to fat burning mode. I made all sorts of plans when away from home to stock up on lc snacks to ensure I didn't go off the deep end. After I felt great doing this WOE, I developed a routine that became a habit, and it really became easy to plan and consume meals. I dropped breakfast, as I no longer was hungry early in the day. I no longer wanted snacks, as I wasn't hungry at various times during the day, sometimes during the whole day.

Today, I admit I have a hard time comprehending how people make it so complicated, but that's exactly what I did in the early periods. It is a major change for many, and to hear "experts" claim a lc approach is unhealthy, or dangerous, or unsustainable is amazing to me, as it's obvious that anyone making these claims has never experienced it themselves. They just know it's bad and advise against it for the sake of others' good health. Just as we were advised to go high carb, low fat, and eat frequently so many years ago. Yep, now they were the visionaries . . .
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 07:04

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moje
How many successful folks here have managed to keep the weight off long after you deemed your efforts successful and do you stay on a low carb plan or have you ventured beyond and been happy with the results?

I'm asking to debunk what an "anti diet" dietician is claiming, that low carb isn't a successful sustainable way of eating and actually "harms" your system long term.

I think it will be hard to debunk anything using anecdotal evidence from this biased site/users here - myself included. It is my belief, from what I have seen in real life, that most all "attemps" at "lowcarbing" end in "failure" and a return to their old baseline eating pattern (a diet)

Long termers that I have had contact with have had some kind of paradigm shift in the way they look at their "diet", the earth moved under their feet, and they made a change that stuck. This is not typical from what I have observed.

And if it "harms" my system? The jury is still out on that one.

Take it from me, some random person on the internets
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 06:46

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

I'm coming at things a bit differently-I've been maintaining a 50lb-60lb weight loss for over 6 years now. For most of that time I was in the 'eat what I want but count and track calories and measure out food portions on my food scale' camp. Pretty much got sucked into MFP's mindset (My Fitness Pal), and lived and breathed calorie tracking for years. So many low fat, low calorie 'diet' foods, when I think of the amount of Lean Cuisines I've eaten over the past few years it's staggering!

And it worked. Until it didn't anymore.

After around 6 years of that I was completely exhausted and burned out-hit a mental wall HARD. Maintenance was becoming harder and harder to do and I started seeing weight creep that I wasn't able to fix as quickly as I used to be able to.

This past winter/early spring I hit my lowest point since transitioning into maintenance. I was around 10lbs over the high point of my maintenance window and I was completely done with counting/tracking calories. It had become a distorted and unhealthy cycle and I knew that I had to make some drastic changes or I was going to end up in a very bad place.

That all led me to exploring low carb for the first time, and finding this forum Since then I've been able to easily lose the weight creep and get my weight down even lower than my original maintenance range. I'm now maintaining effortlessly and my mental health has improved so much!

So, while I've only been doing low carb for around 6 months now, I can compare it to the years where I focused on calories and know without any doubt that I'll be able to continue maintaining successfully on low carb for many years to come. For the first time maintenance is EASY for me, after struggling for so many years with it.

Last edited by DaisyDawn : Thu, Oct-03-19 at 06:55.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 10:17

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I’ve been on three major diets in my life, each time losing 40 pounds, and each time gaining it all back plus some for the “insult.” I went low carb six years ago, lost the weight (37#) and have kept it off. This time it’s forever. I’m 70 years old and LC is my lifestyle now. I’m the healthiest I’ve ever been.