Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 07:02

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
We buy unscented laundry detergent, and hang dry everything. Rugged clothes go outside and delicates indoors. That way the clothes dry without using energy, they smell better naturally, get sanitized by the sun's rays, and are more absorbent.
Hey Bob, I know the clothes line is better for the environment, but I detest the feel of clothes that have been hung on the line. We didn't have a dryer growing up and everything went out on the line except the underwear, which was hung in our kitchen, which was traumatic in its own right when one of the 10 of us had a friend come over. Putting on a pair of jeans that had been hung out to dry was like putting on a suit of armor. And the towels were like sandpaper! God bless ya, but I'd get rid of my car before I got rid of my clothes dryer (not exaggerating).
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 07:53

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I like air-dried towels. Once I got used to them and realize they dry my furry body much better than those in the dryer. I look forward to the first day after they come off the line. It's stimulation. By the second time those "little back scratchers" are gone.

Plus the clothes smell fresh without some kind of probably toxic artificial scent and whatever softens the clothes when you put that sheet in. Whatever is left on the clothes will surely absorb through my skin, and it might be one of those carcinogens. The FDA won't tell us because they have been taken over by big corporate business.

Plus I am sure that putting clothes in the dryer just wears them out faster. That lint in the filter comes from somewhere, and the constant tumbling and beating of the fabric must be weakening it. But I guess the sun takes it's toll in a different way.

And with a world that is polluting itself with energy generation, I also feel it's prudent to use the sun's free, renewable rays and the wind to dry my clothes. People survived for millions of years without clothes dryers.

But to each his/her own. I don't live with AC either.

------

Aldi has fast checkout people that are much quicker than any self-scanner. It's amazing how quickly they work.

Plus Aldi has 100%, grass fed, organic beef at a price I can actually afford.

If the store wants me to self-scan, they need to give me at least a 5% discount over what is scanned by a human cashier.

I'll wait in line when a scanner is open to help the cashier keep his or her job. I just feel it's the right thing to do.

I do a lot of shopping at Publix and they do not have self-scans. Plus they must send all their employees to charm school, as they are almost always bright and pleasant.

Since I've been in Ketosis since they called it Original Atkins Induction, I don't eat that much so the higher prices for the high fat diet balances with the fact that I'm buying much less food.

Bob
  #33   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 09:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I didn't know Aldi had grass-fed beef. I'll have to check it out locally. I seldom shop there because I am so annoyed by their junk food aisle.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 09:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Plus the clothes smell fresh without some kind of probably toxic artificial scent and whatever softens the clothes when you put that sheet in. Whatever is left on the clothes will surely absorb through my skin, and it might be one of those carcinogens. The FDA won't tell us because they have been taken over by big corporate business.

Plus I am sure that putting clothes in the dryer just wears them out faster. That lint in the filter comes from somewhere, and the constant tumbling and beating of the fabric must be weakening it. But I guess the sun takes it's toll in a different way.

Softeners - whether in the washer or dryer - coat the material with something that makes it less absorbent. And to me, it feels weird. The sticky whatever also coats the dryer filter. If you don't wash it regularly it makes the dryer less efficient & uses more electricity. Once I found that out I stopped using dryer sheets. I squirt 6-8 squirts of white vinegar from a spray bottle on the clothes in the dryer - it cuts down on static electricity & doesn't leave a smell.

You're right about the dryer eventually destroys clothing - all that lint should be staying on the clothes. Don't know if sunlight damages fabric, but I think it would take a lot more exposure than hanging the wash out to dry. The only problem I have is insects. The other day a yellow jacket looking for a home rode in with the laundry. Need to shake it out when I collect it.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 09:50

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I didn't know Aldi had grass-fed beef. I'll have to check it out locally. I seldom shop there because I am so annoyed by their junk food aisle.

Aldi has really been changing their selection lately, to more model Trader Joes. They have a large selection of organic items now, along with grass fed beef, specialty cheeses, free range eggs, bigger selection of fresh and frozen produce etc. They've also started carrying things like coconut oil, 'fancy' vinegar's etc. They still have a lot of the typical grocery store stuff too, but they've improved dramatically over the past year or so!

They also have fantastic prices on frozen seafood-I pay $3.99 for a pound of wild caught salmon there
  #36   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 10:30

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

re: the dryer sheets. I used to find the scent of them very pleasant. But about a year ago, I left a box of Snuggle fabric softener in the back of my van by mistake. We get in the van to go to school and my 10 year old says, "Why does the car smell like bug spray?" I hadn't noticed it before, but ever since then I can't shake the similarity - I know there has to be a chemical in common between the two. I've been doing the vinegar trick ever since. We have to use the All Free and Clear detergent because we have a lot of skin sensitivities in our family.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, May-07-19, 21:06

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I live in rainy Oregon. While I make a point of hanging my laundry out to dry whenever possible, it simply is not possible during our wet winters. Even under cover the clothes don't dry, they mildew.
So, I hang out when I can, and use the dryer when I must. I'm OK with that. As to towels, I pop them in the dryer for 15 minutes, and then hang them out. They are still a little rough when dry, though I have no problem with that, but no longer sand paper-y. Dryer sheets are an abomination; adding vinegar to the rinse cycle is quite sufficient IMO
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 01:00

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I lived in NJ for years with no dryer and hung all my clothes out to dry. If weather was too bad they got hung in the basement. But here in Florida now I use my dryer. I don’t feel guilty about it. 😂 I don’t even do laundry that much, maybe 2-3 loads a month. Years back I read an article saying how most people wash things far too often and all the constant unnecessary washing breaks down the clothes as much as anything. I can’t recall the details but it made sense and my clothes have to be worn quite a few times (except underwear!) before they get washed.

I’ve never used dryer sheets. I have to ignorantly confess that I still don’t really know what dryer sheets are supposed to do or why people use them. For a while I did make my own laundry detergent but I finally decided it was more trouble than it was worth. I finally bought some organic scent-free brand that only takes about 2 tbsp of detergent per load. That was a couple years ago and I’m still on the same bottle! 😂
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 06:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I live in rainy Oregon. While I make a point of hanging my laundry out to dry whenever possible, it simply is not possible during our wet winters. Even under cover the clothes don't dry, they mildew.
So, I hang out when I can, and use the dryer when I must. I'm OK with that. As to towels, I pop them in the dryer for 15 minutes, and then hang them out. They are still a little rough when dry, though I have no problem with that, but no longer sand paper-y. Dryer sheets are an abomination; adding vinegar to the rinse cycle is quite sufficient IMO

I grew up just outside of Portland & then lived for 20 years in Scappoose, so I know what you're talking about! The winter my son was born our dryer quit. Because I was determined to keep using cloth diapers, our small mobile home was festooned with drying diapers. I was so happy when we could afford a new dryer.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 07:47

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I grew up eating macaroni (now mostly called pasta) but I haven't had any in decades.

Sorry to go off on a tangent (though it seems to be what I do best), but I was just thinking about this recently. When did macaroni become pasta? I actually googled the question and found this:

Quote:
“Macaroni became ‘pasta’ on the same day the hobo became ‘the homeless,’ the trailer house became the ‘mobile home’ and stock-car racing became ‘NASCAR.’”

#41   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 09:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Too funny!!

Took the boys shopping last night-- they rarely come with me due to their busy schedule but they needed school lunch box food: apples, oranges, yogurts and then they just couldnt pass on the Table Talk pies. They were honestly hungry though I couldnt resist mentioning shopping when hungry is a BAD idea just for this reason. I caved to $1 each for a TT pie, then to Ben and Jerry's icecream as a thank you for all their hard work around the house/ farm. GOT LOTS OF REPEATED HUGS!!

I marveled at how they shop has changed. The outside perimeter,directly to the icecream the directly to the soda aisle. Determined stops. Including deciding the soda was too expensive and better to stop at Speedway for a smaller portion for a smaller price. While this did not stop their soda intake, they showed a thought process about food and not a knee jerk grab off the shelf method. ( Soda has become a rare treat.)

Definitely better, not perfect. Pretty good for teens!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 09:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I grew up with a mother who never would use commercial cleaners or chemical dryer sheets etc... She would say that soap and water is all you need so I have never used that stuff myself or for my family either.

~also I would never buy boxed cereal for my children. Maybe once in a blue moon I would buy Honey Bunches of Oats but it was only for desert!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 10:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I’m amazed at what the combo of baking sida and white vinegar can do to clean bathrooms. And it fizzes, too!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 10:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I’m amazed at what the combo of baking sida and white vinegar can do to clean bathrooms. And it fizzes, too!

Does it really?
Wow I need to try that. Does it kill mold which is always a problem, more than regular dirt.

Do you mix it up and then put in a sprayer bottle, or what?
  #45   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 11:25

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

It's getting to be the rainy season here in Florida. That means hanging the wash out early in the day, as the T-Storms usually come in the afternoon.

Yes, every once in a while an insect will be on a piece of laundry outdoors, so a habit of shaking takes care of that. One snap is enough.

Saving electricity ($$$), saving the planet (generating electricity is polluting), making my clothes last longer (more $$$ saved), not putting extra chemicals on the clothes to be absorbed by my skin, using the sun's rays to kill bacteria and fungus, fresh natural smell, and more absorbent clothes - to me it's a win win win win win situation.

--

DaisyDawn mentioned free range eggs. I found pasture raised eggs, where unlike free range, they hens are outdoors where they can scratch up grubs and eat insects. I tried them when on sale, and that's all I buy now. The yolks are denser and tastier and when boiling them, the egg never sticks to the shell. They taste and feel like the eggs of my childhood. Worth an extra dollar.