Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 16:28

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Anyone doing low FODMAP?

Not sure what happened but my digestive health took a nosedive. I'm trying low FODMAP. It aligns a lot with how I already eat but I'm wondering about some specifics like yogurt. I already gave up milk but what I read differs on the yogurt question... Also brassicas I am getting conflicting lists.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 16:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My two cents.

Every body is individual.

Brassicus. Mist people can tolerate, some dont have the gebes to process the same as others. The cole crops also interfere with thyroid function. My doc doesnt ask about foid consumption, he just looks at T3and T4 reguardless of cole crop interference.

Milk. Yogurts vary a lot in the amount of food addatives, and the inocolants. Have only seen cows milk yogurt. Cows milk proteins can vary. Holsteibs are not the same as Jerseys. Then the lactose content. So again your milage namay vary for any dairy product.

FODMAP is an elimination diet. My suggestion is no cole crops, no dairy.

And record all the foods eaten as sometimes a food is not recognized as off limits.

Hope you find the culprit asap .
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 17:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
My two cents.

Every body is individual.

Brassicus. Mist people can tolerate, some dont have the gebes to process the same as others. The cole crops also interfere with thyroid function. My doc doesnt ask about foid consumption, he just looks at T3and T4 reguardless of cole crop interference.

Milk. Yogurts vary a lot in the amount of food addatives, and the inocolants. Have only seen cows milk yogurt. Cows milk proteins can vary. Holsteibs are not the same as Jerseys. Then the lactose content. So again your milage namay vary for any dairy product.

FODMAP is an elimination diet. My suggestion is no cole crops, no dairy.

And record all the foods eaten as sometimes a food is not recognized as off limits.

Hope you find the culprit asap .

Thanks, I think it makes sense as I have to avoid a lot of it anyway. The hard ones right now to eliminate are: yogurt, broccoli, cauliflower, avocado. I never get yogurt with anything but cow's milk in it (well, and the bugs that ferment it). Onion and garlic were surprisingly easy to cut out. The GI doc told me she wouldn't bother printing out the list because she's never had a patient adhere to it. I was like, well I haven't had grains in over ten years and I have food allergies. I am a pro at elimination diets!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 19:01

BF:

My understanding was to eliminate it AL
L and in Four weeks add back one item.

Dr Atkin's version was a little diffetent as I recall. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was the same, been years since reading that section.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 22:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
My understanding was to eliminate it AL
L and in Four weeks add back one item.

Dr Atkin's version was a little diffetent as I recall. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was the same, been years since reading that section.

I am still working on getting it all out! It's a process! I was on three different antibiotics since September so I'm sure that's not doing me any favors either.I have not done a food diary in a long time. High time!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 11:26

BF:

Bet you are still removing items from your diet. FODMAP covers sooooo many items.

Maybe add in a pill version of a probiotic...? Just beware of milk products as filler.

Maybe add in unpasturized apple cider vinegar... ?

And jicama and asparagus and other prebiotics that fit the low FODMAP model.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 14:03

BF:

I have never found a prebiotic without rice in it. I can do prebiotic summer squash and sauerkraut. I read asparagus was a no.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 16:35

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

This is what I use after antibiotics and I buy the one without anything but milk in it..
https://www.biokplus.com/en_ca/products/original